1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Low Rust Taco - brush or not? paint or not? Fluid Film or not?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Cadmus, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Jun 5, 2020 at 10:44 AM
    Cadmus

Cadmus [OP] Un-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins CO USA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4door 4x4 TDRoffroad
    Colorado uses very little salt compared to Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin. The MgCl2 has anti corrosion additives. I know because I ran tox tests on the stuff and I could not figure out what the chemicals were. Parts of Colorado are near desert, parts are fairly wet. We always have a low RH even those spots that see high annual rain/snow fall from orthographic precip.
    Not as hard on cars as the midwest. not at all.

I have no clue what you are talking about. But if you are testing products on rusty parts i am all ears.

I would use a pressure washer also.

GQ7227[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jul 3, 2020 at 7:50 PM
    yourrealdad

yourrealdad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2007 Red Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Cadmus,

Just picked up a 2003 DC 4x4. CO and CA car. My rust situation looks almost exactly like yours. Pretty good with maybe some heavier spots around the leaf spring mounts.

I do not want to spend a lot of time on this. I am not going to take the bed off, I am not going to get it sand blasted. I am not going to look up its colon to see if it has its poop in a group.
    As far as I know unless I sell it it will live in CO the rest of its life.

Hope you can answer these questions

Would you say that Chassis Saver is the easiest way to go about dealing with the rust?
    Am I correct in that you just do a little wire brushing to get the flake off then just put on the CS?
    Can it be sprayed?
    Easiest cheapest way to spray?
    Can you just hit everything under the truck or do you need to watch out for wires, etc.?
    How much do you think to do the whole under body?

Preemptive thanks from one FoCo Taco owner to another.

GQ7227 and Ccrowe323 like this.
  3. Jul 3, 2020 at 8:04 PM
    Ccrowe323

Ccrowe323 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 3.4 DC 5speed TRD OR
    Based on what you said, the most effective route would be fluid film. It is very easy to apply, cheap, and actually works pretty damn well. The only down side is having to apply it 1-2 times a year to keep it fully coated at all times.
    To me I see the fact that it’s not permanent as an advantage because if any bad rust spots form you can easily see it, where covering it with a rust preventative paint will hide the rust for the most part and only kill the surface rust. That’s just based on my experience, using correseal works but it will eventually start rusting again, where because fluid film is like an oil it almost leeches into the metal and “soaks in”.
    I went all out and removed my bed and ground off all rust and used a heavy duty clear coat meant for bare metal just to make any rust spots visible in the future, but if you want quick and easy and cheap, get fluid film. And the gallon will last a couple years depending on how often you coat it.

That being said, everyone has a different experience. In Colorado where it snows, and depending how often you off-road through water it will wash off quicker than normal. But if it’s just a daily driver and rarely see much water crossings and no salt road, I’d say it’s a good option. I do live in Florida where I don’t have to deal with snow, just the salt air near the coast, which does make shit rust but not even close to the way it does up north

GQ7227 likes this.
  4. Jul 3, 2020 at 8:12 PM
    yourrealdad

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I have seen lots of people recommend FF, but please correct me if I am wrong, but it doesn't stop or convert rust right? Isn't it more of a preventative measure. So unless you have gotten rid of all the rust beforehand it will just keep spreading? Or does it seal off the O2 and H20 to prevent anymore spreading?

I liked this video. Real world testing.

https://m.roadkillcustoms.com/rust-encapsulator-paints/

Ccrowe323 likes this.
  5. Jul 3, 2020 at 8:46 PM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    The top rear shock mounts that are welded into the frame are a place that rust lives and there is poor
    drainage in these spots.

You have to drop your spare tire to get up close to inspect this area on the passenger side in particular

Screenshot_20200703-214307_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200703-214252_Gallery.jpg

GQ7227 likes this.
  6. Jul 3, 2020 at 8:46 PM
    Ccrowe323

Ccrowe323 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 3.4 DC 5speed TRD OR
    It DOES stop rust, and can prevent it.
    I have tested this with old sheet metal With a decent bit of surface rust and very minor pitting, put FF on half and left it outside, it got rained on as well. the side With FF just turned the metal blackish gray and stopped the rust while the non FF side got worse as it was left outside.
    The water did wash some of the fluid film off but it still didn’t rust

NSDON likes this.
  7. Jul 4, 2020 at 6:30 AM
    onakat

onakat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2000 indestructaco!
    It will not kill or convert rust, but it will stop it right in it's tracks as it will seal it from moistuire and air. It will also prevent and/or prevent it from coming back. But first, you have ro remove as much loose flaking rust as possible to be able to reach as much of the frame (or steel piece) as possible

So yes, it's more of a preventative measure

NEVER use a product that dries and hardens on after application as undercoating. Moisture will eventually get behind it though cracks or chips, accelerating the corrosion process as it gets trapped between the frame and the undercoating product

The best option is oil-based undercoatings, like Fluid Film, Krown and similar products. But these are good only if you apply them on a YEARLY basis. But their consistency is both their strenght and flaw. They have water-like consistency and will creep anywere, into the smallest crevice and corner BUT this consistency will also allow them to get washed off on areas exposed to elements. This is why you must apply it yearly

8. Jul 4, 2020 at 7:02 AM
    yourrealdad

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    So are you saying to not use something like Chassis Saver or Eastwood?

Does Fluid Film turn the rust black at all? Call it vanity but if I am spending the time under my truck I want it to look good again as well. Having everything nice and black again would be nice.

GQ7227 and 1997tacomav6 like this.
  9. Jul 4, 2020 at 7:14 AM
    Black DOG Lila

Black DOG Lila Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5 2.7 5 speed 4WD
    Stock. EZ pass.Dump pass.Inspection sticker.Convict printed lic.plates.FG cap.
    Corroseal turns rust to black magnetite
    Can be painted over or Fluid filmed.

10. Jul 4, 2020 at 8:56 AM
    onakat

onakat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2000 indestructaco!
    No, paint is fine, as long as you remove or treat the rust before applying. Painting directly over surface rust is okay, but more than that, you need to remove or neutralize the rust
    What I meant to avoid is stuff like rubberized undercoating, spray-on liner, gravelguard/rockguard.

And no, Fluid Film won't turn the rust black. It's straw colored and stinks, but oh boy it works. Rust converters will turn it black/deep brown and can be painted over

If the truck is exposed to salt or any other corrosive agent, paint only is not enough to protect, as the salt will eat through it. That's why you must apply FF on top, but as I said earlier, you must apply it yearly as it tends to get washed off

GQ7227 likes this.
  11. Jul 4, 2020 at 9:39 AM
    yourrealdad

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    So would this be a good route or redundant?

Lightly wire brush the rust. I am only worried about areas around leaf mounts.

Then Chassis Saver or Eastwood

Then Fluid Film?

12. Jul 4, 2020 at 10:06 AM
    Cadmus

Member:
    Fort Collins CO USA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4door 4x4 TDRoffroad
    @yourrealdad

I have had a good experience with Chassis Saver. But never used FF or the Eastwood version. My experience on this topic is that every one recommends what they use even if they have no experience with other products. It is also complicated by different climates, different truck use, different truck storage practices, truck hygiene practices, different climate. I guess you and I have spatial autocorrelation in our favor.

I found rustolium to be short lived. Sanding then priming then painting was hard work (on non-tacos BTW) and the rust was only held off a short time. I found rustolium's rust reformer to be useless. Any rubber bed coating is not long lived below the car in my experience and it will not bond to loose rust.
    Painting over FF is not an option (says users and an installer) so look to the future and think about your plans.

Chassis saver worked well for me. I brushed it on, not spray. But you could spray if you have the equipment. It does not damage electrical. It appears to not harm joints and bolts and the manufacturer suggests that to be true. Chassis saver LIKES to stick to rust. That fact relieves a good deal of stress in prep work. I really am happy with Cha$$i$ $aver even if expensive and even if it is tenaciously sticky when you get it on your skin, clothes, or tools. Kinda surprised how strong it is.

I am fighting to get work done before the weather gets too hot. I will try to read all these posts later and respond more articulately then.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    GQ7227 likes this.
  13. Jul 4, 2020 at 12:38 PM
    onakat

onakat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2000 indestructaco!
    Yes.Wirebrush, treat with rust killer/converter, paint then fluid film
    And don't forget to FF the inside of the frame as well. Use this 360 wand if you use cans:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/FLUID-FILM-360-EXTENSION-WAND-for-spray-cans-FREE-SHIPPING/172860435043

You are worried about the area around the leaf springs? why? Is it rusted through? The only way to find out is to take a hammer to it and see if it will punch a hole.
    Where is your truck from? Has it seen winter salt and chemicals?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    GQ7227 likes this.
  14. Jul 4, 2020 at 1:06 PM
    Cadmus

Member:
    Fort Collins CO USA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4door 4x4 TDRoffroad

Because painting over fluid film is not an option, i am doing just this. Except I do not plan to use fluid film until I near the end of the life of the truck (like in many years) or until I feel I need to protect the inner voids of the sheet metal (so far I do not) or until I find Chassis saver is not able to keep up with new rust (not the case yet).

GQ7227 likes this.
  15. Jul 4, 2020 at 4:00 PM
    yourrealdad

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Do I need to paint? Isn't that what CS is a converter and paint in one?

Can I just FF inside the frame or is there a way to get CS in it as well?

Leaf springs, mounts, bolts are all very rusty, but I believe it is surface rust.

Car is a CA/CO truck

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    GQ7227 likes this.
  16. Jul 4, 2020 at 4:35 PM
    Cadmus

Member:
    Fort Collins CO USA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4door 4x4 TDRoffroad
    Chassis Saver is a paint. Very good paint. You can paint over it. Or paint more on. You can wash it and it does not attract dirt.
    But you can not try something else later if you use FF. FF stays sticky and attracts dirt.

I will be trying to Chassis Saver inside the box frame this fall. Lots of people spray it in there, i do not own spray equipment (I have done everything with disposable Harbor Freight Brushes).

My bolts and leaf springs also had significant surface rust when i got the truck. I just Chassis Saver over them after a good wash. No prob.

GQ7227 likes this.
  17. Jul 4, 2020 at 6:21 PM
    onakat

onakat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2000 indestructaco!
    Chassis Saver is not a rust converter, it is a thick metal paint.

FF should be the last step as you can't paint or apply any kind of treatment over it

Do you need to paint? If you did sand/wirebrush to bare metal, yes
    If it's just surface rust you have, you don't even have to wirebrush it. Just spray some fluid film and be done with it.
    Though if you want to paint it anyway, you can paint directly over surface rust no problem. Except for loose flaking rust

By the way, do you have pictures of what worries you so much about your frame? It will help us to give you the best answer

18. Jul 4, 2020 at 9:08 PM
    joe25rs

joe25rs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Mrr’land
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black TRD
    @Cadmus, thanks for posting this thread. I too have been debating a similar situation. I have a truck with a year old replacement frame. Only protection is the oem flat black “finish”. I want to do everything in my power to protect and preserve the frame.

I have settled on hand painting the frame this summer with Chassis Saver (or Eastwood) followed by a FF treatment in the fall. I figure now is the best time to establish an extra layer of painted protection before Fluid Film enters the picture.

That said, I may have cheated the start with some Rustoleum enamel paint. I recently started on a headlight replacement project that quickly snowballed. I decided to paint all of the the forward facing metalwork for added protection prior to reassembling the front end. I don’t know how much good it will do, but figured something was better than nothing.

This is a picture of the second coat of Rustoleum I did this afternoon.

GQ7227, Black DOG Lila and cruiserguy like this.
  19. Jul 4, 2020 at 9:18 PM
    Cadmus

Member:
    Fort Collins CO USA
    Vehicle:
    '04 4door 4x4 TDRoffroad
    Wow. So clean!!!!!

GQ7227 likes this.
  20. Jul 4, 2020 at 9:26 PM
    joe25rs

joe25rs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Mrr’land
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black TRD
    Thank you! But, looks are deceiving. I spent a LOT of time cleaning it. I started with washing out all of the dried mud that I foolishly stuffed up there by, you guessed it, running through mud on purpose.

After the mud was rinsed away I degreased it, washed it, scuffed with Scotch bright, washed it again, rubbed it down with Acetone, then finally, paint.

I felt crazy and it was a lot of effort, but they say painting is all about the prep. I took it to heart. Hopefully, the effort was/is worth it.

GQ7227 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top