1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lower back pain

Discussion in 'Health' started by 07 sport 4x4, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Nov 22, 2017 at 11:59 AM
    07 sport 4x4

07 sport 4x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
    I have a lower back issue and I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction. I've looked online and couldn't find anything that I felt like described what I have going on.
    If I hang from a bar to do a chin up or pull-up and let my back relax and extend completely to a neutral position there is no pain in the extended position, but when I put my feet on the floor and my back goes back to a compressed state I have a catch in my lower back, it hurts so bad it will literally almost make me collapse. It feels like I'm being stabbed in the spinal cord, 10/10 on a pain scale... but it just lasts for a few seconds and then I'm fine. It's a sharp, makes you freeze up and not be able to breathe kind of pain. I have no pain otherwise, after the pain subsides I'm fine, I can lift anything I want with no pain, I can run or climb or do anything else I want to with no issues. I figure it's a nerve getting pinched or something, let me know what you guys think.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  2. Nov 22, 2017 at 12:02 PM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    bulged or herniated disc.

do you have pain shooting down your leg? If so, probably affecting sciatic nerve.

probably gonna need physical therapy.

ManBeast likes this.
  3. Nov 22, 2017 at 12:05 PM
    07 sport 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
    Nope, absolutely no pain other than as described above. I mean this has been a thing for years.... if it was a bulged disc it would have either healed or gotten a lot worse by now, wouldn't it?

4. Nov 22, 2017 at 12:08 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    A good sports chiro may be able to help. If he can't, and is honest he'll point you to a Ortho. Who will take pictures and offer options, the first line of which is likely PT.

Or, find your local distance runner crowd (like marathon guys) and get a recommendation on a PT place and start there.

Taco 422 and Mark77 like this.
  5. Nov 22, 2017 at 12:13 PM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    Not necessarily.

I have bulged disc in my lower back that comes and goes over the years. PT helps, but some docs think the only way to get rid of the pain is surgery, which I am trying to avoid. Don't want knives so close to my spinal cord if I can help it.

The hanging from a bar is called Traction I think, which they do at PT.

07 sport 4x4[OP] likes this.
  6. Dec 11, 2017 at 9:17 PM
    DrSouthpaw

DrSouthpaw Dog limo

Member:
    First Name:
    Spur
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    Spinal corn is a new one for me.

Anyways, have you gotten better?

Signed,
    A PT

Mark77 and DustStorm4x4 like this.
  7. Dec 12, 2017 at 12:33 AM
    07 sport 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
    Haha *cord* I read that about twice before I posted it... didn't catch it. Things are about the same, no pain as long as I keep my back tight and don't let it extend if I hang from a bar or something of the sort. I need to work on my flexibility, I think that would likely help as much as anything. I'm really tight in my quads, hamstrings and back, I haven't been able to touch my toes without serious discomfort in my hamstrings since high school, I'm just shy of 24 now. I have a pretty physically demanding job and lift at work all the time, but don't really workout enough to amount to anything anymore, so I think that contributes to my lacking flexibility, but I've never been very flexible, not even when I was a kid. It also wouldn't kill me to drop a few or 40 pounds, I'm at 195-200 right now(5ft10), i'd like to get back to about 160-170. I've been thinking about getting an inversion table, but I'm not positive it would help my back, thoughts?
    All in all it's not a big issue for me right now, doesn't affect me at all as far as doing whatever I wanna do in day to day life. I just wanna get in front of this and try to cure whatever I've got going on or at least try to keep it from getting worse in the future.

Leathermatt and DustStorm4x4 like this.
  8. Dec 12, 2017 at 12:42 AM
    stmpjmpr

stmpjmpr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    So Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Sport MGM 4X4
    Feel your pain. I'm 56, been suffering since 18. not same symptoms as you though. I have an inversion table. it does work, you feel great for about 5-10min then gravity does its thing and your back to the beginning, although I don't know how often or how long to do iut, so maybe its my fault. I feel its worth a try. I got mine at a garage sale for $40.00 do yourself a favor and don't buy brand new, that way if it doesn't work you wont cray so hard.

07 sport 4x4[OP] likes this.
  9. Dec 12, 2017 at 12:59 AM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Could be a muscle spasm. If so, a chiropractor might help. There are good ones and bad ones, so ask around. Muscle relaxants (ex. Cyclobenzeprine) also help, but come with side effects.

Have you tried a daily ibuprofen regimen? 200mg 3x a day for a few days? If that HELPS, it might indicate that there is an inflammation component to your problem (disk/joint related) rather than being a spasm alone. Although, inflammation in a joint can lead to spasms due to you adjusting your movements to avoid the pain (as you suggest you do).

I'm not a doc but I have a chronic spinal disease, so I've been around the block with back issues.

Taco 422 and DustStorm4x4 like this.
  10. Dec 12, 2017 at 1:38 AM
    07 sport 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
    I haven't taken anything for the pain, it's not chronic and it only hurts if I do certain things. Truthfully I've only taken a pain reliever of any kind once, last year, for a severe sunburn while I was at the beach. I took 2 Advils, per the demands of a family member, other than that I've never been on a medicine or pain reliever or any kind (okay, fine, I used to take those grape flavored aspirins when I was a kid sometimes). I've never been to the doctor for anything either, I've been super blessed with great health thus far. I used to go to the chiropractor as a kid for a while after I was in a car accident with my mom, it was more for her than it was for me though. I didn't have any apparent injuries... as far as I know that didn't hurt me at all. She had some neck issues afterwards and I would go with her and get adjusted from time to time, but I haven't been back in 15+ years I'd say.

DustStorm4x4 likes this.
  11. Dec 12, 2017 at 7:21 PM
    DrSouthpaw

DrSouthpaw Dog limo

Member:
    First Name:
    Spur
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    What about bending forwards or backwards when standing?

This would be a good start.

Also, this.

If hanging from a bar doesn't feel great when relaxed then an inversion table probably won't either.

What are your job demands?

Do this and get back to me:
    1. Bend forward - if pain, stop. No pain, repeat 5 times in a row. Relieving, aggravating, or no change?
    2. Place hands on hip and bend backwards - if pain, stop. No pain, repeat 5 times in a row. Relieving, aggravating, or no change?

12. Dec 12, 2017 at 9:29 PM
    07 sport 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
    *replies in bold*

13. Dec 12, 2017 at 10:52 PM
    DrSouthpaw

DrSouthpaw Dog limo

Member:
    First Name:
    Spur
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    Try the inversion table and if it doesn't work then return it.

Stretch a lot and try these (on a consistent basis).

1. Prone on Elbows
    For prolonged time: start with 2 minutes, stop when you get achy/sore

2. Prone press up
    For reps. Slow and don't activate your back muscles.

3. "Bird dogs"
    For reps. Don't twist your hips.

4. Front and side planks
    For time
    Form is imperative. Don't sag in a front plank.

14. Dec 12, 2017 at 11:01 PM
    07 sport 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
    Gotcha, thanks! I'll check into the inversion table at some point soon. Any tips as far as stretching goes, are there any issues with getting 'out of balance' if you gain flexibility in some areas and not as much in others?
    I've been following these guys on instagram, they post helpful stuff all the time. http://instagram.com/moveu_official

15. Dec 12, 2017 at 11:01 PM
    DrSouthpaw

DrSouthpaw Dog limo

Member:
    First Name:
    Spur
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    Typically, those symptoms are consistent with a discogenic injury. Try the above for a couple of weeks (did I mention be consistent?) and if it doesn't help much then please go see someone. Or go see a skilled PT sooner than that. Trained eyes and someone skilled with their hands are much more effective than what I can provide online.

The longer you let it go the worse it will get down the road. Time is already hindering you and you're too young to deal with that.

16. Dec 12, 2017 at 11:03 PM
    El Duderino

El Duderino Obviously, you're not a golfer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    HI->PNW
    Vehicle:
    16 MGM Sport 4x4 DCSB & 19 nautical blue SR5 premium 4x4
    Stuff, things, this, an ADS
    I have a herniated disk L5-S1 hurts like hell bending, twisting, and when carrying heavy stuff. I get injection in my back every few months to numb the nerves, you can’t walk for a day or two but it feels good for a few months. PT didn’t work neither did acupuncture surgery is the only way out for me. But I’m 31 and no way I’m getting it. Espically after I had partial reconstructive surgery on my shoulder. Good luck and when the pain starts to go down your legs start seeking a pain managment doctor.

17. Dec 12, 2017 at 11:06 PM
    DrSouthpaw

DrSouthpaw Dog limo

Member:
    First Name:
    Spur
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    One leg is fine. Both legs, maybe.

I'll be the first one to say there are exponentially more crappy PTs out there than good ones. It's embarrassing. Choose wisely :)

HighCountryTacoma and coachk13 like this.
  18. Dec 12, 2017 at 11:29 PM
    El Duderino

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    HI->PNW
    Vehicle:
    Been to my fair share of good and bad ones lol. I have the numbing and shooting pain in both legs sucks balls.

tacomakid96 likes this.
  19. Dec 12, 2017 at 11:31 PM
    DrSouthpaw

DrSouthpaw Dog limo

Member:
    First Name:
    Spur
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    That's indicative of surgery, you should consider it.

20. Dec 12, 2017 at 11:34 PM
    El Duderino

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    HI->PNW
    Vehicle:
    I’m good with the injections right now Im not trying to get my back cut into at 31 years old. Injections last quite a few months.

Products Discussed in

To Top