1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lower control arm profanity.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bjmoose, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Oct 8, 2010 at 8:40 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose [OP] Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    What's wrong with this picture?:confused:
    [​IMG]

You're looking at the driver side lower control arm pivot from the back towards the front. It's supposed to be held in place by two little flanges. The one on the left has been flattened, allowing the nut and and alignment ring to drift down and left. :mad: (The same problem exists on driver-side-front, but didn't photograph well enough to see.)

I found this out today when I was at the shop today to get my alignment post-suspension-install. "Hey Steve, I can't align this truck. Or, I can, but it won't stay. You should come down and look at this...."

Not sure when it happened. I used a crowbar to force the LCA in order to get enough clearance to slide the OME strut into place. But, it needed to be forced!! Nevertheless - I now say: use caution and inspect the LCA pivot point as you're applying that force! Make sure you're not damaging it when creating space to put the strut into place. Maybe the factory steel is just really weak here. The service guy said he's seen this failure on trucks barely out of warranty - but not with only 1500 miles on them. Natch I can't make a warranty claim in this one - not worth the aggravation even to ask.

The shop's going to reposition (easy) and then weld some bead into the corner to reinforce at all four corners. I don't weld, so that's not a DIY for me.

Has anyone else seen this failure?

2. Oct 8, 2010 at 8:49 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    yeah I have seen it but it usually happens when the truck is jumped in the air and used as a prerunner

3. Oct 8, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    TacomaDan

TacomaDan Don't go off ninjin

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Woodland, CA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma Fully Not Loaded
    Love, Cobra 29 LTD BT CB w/ A2000 Highgear antenna, FOX/Fabtech Coilovers, Magnaflow
    Well that normally happens on LT trucks when they jump like crazy! Weird...

4. Oct 8, 2010 at 8:57 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Ive seen it happen on non long travel trucks. Its an easy fix.

5. Oct 8, 2010 at 9:01 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    Well, I did go over a couple speed bumps at just under 20mph. Ya think that counts?:p If so, Tacoma loses points from the "tough-enough-to-take-it" column.

Obviously I did *something.* either in the install or not long after. If you look at my install thread, you'll see how I used the crowbar to force the LCA down to make room to slide in the strut.

No matter what - the part seems a little under-designed for its job. My wife the civil engineer asked "So, you're not just going to replace it with another factory part, right?" Smart one, she is. :cool:

Suggestions?

Analysis?

Comiseration? :D

6. Oct 8, 2010 at 9:03 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    How would you fix it? I'm thinking the shop's suggesting to strengthen the flanges is a good one.

7. Oct 8, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Thats exactly how it needs to be fixed. Generally, Bend the tabs back, and run a bead along the back side of them, and thats usually good enough. For extra measure, or if beating on the truck, you can back up the tab with a peice of steel.

8. Jan 17, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    28Gauge

28Gauge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Grapevine, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Sockmonkey Graphics, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Dee Zee Bed Mat, Map Light/Dome Light LED's, Flo-Pro Muffler w/Stainless Steel Tip, Dome Light/Map Light Mod, Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil, LED Cupholder Mod, Grillcraft with TOYOTA emblem, Vision 375 Warrior Wheels, Extra Bed D Ring Mod, TRD Skidplate, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners, Front 5100's set at zero with Eibach springs, Toytec 1.5" rear TSB add-a-leaf springs, Toytec swaybar relocate kit, Katzkin Leather Seating, Front Window Tint
    I have the same problem. I don't know why or when it happened. I just discovered the damage a couple of months ago while doing an oil change. Back in August, I installed 5100's set at 0" with Eibach springs. I took it to a Toyota dealer the next day to have it aligned. The dealership didn't mention any problems while aligning it. Has anyone had luck fixing this issue? By the way, this is on the driver's side looking forward.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Jan 17, 2011 at 12:31 PM
    straycat241

straycat241 maXXXed out mid travel

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD off road 4x2
    airaid intake, jba headers, jba exhaust, DMZ enginecage, King 2.5 coilovers , 1.25camburg uca's, total chaos lca's, shock hoops with Icon 2.5 piggybacks, camburg 4.0 Spindles, Defined engineering SUA, King 2.5" Shocks w/Reservoir, King 2.5 Bumpstops,shocktacobumper,moto metal 951's, compartment locks, blackgrill,Glassworks fenders front and rear,ViS racing glass hood,PIAA 510s,hella 500's,black rebadge,fabtech spare tire holder,tailgate delete,mudflaps delete,cobra 19 ultra iii
    hammer it back to square and place a bead to reinforce it DMZ tim did mine now it aligns good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top