1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

lower, locked gears??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by xrunner800, May 5, 2011.

1. May 5, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    xrunner800

xrunner800 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 2wd mini taco
    i have a 1996 2wd 2.4L tacoma and would like to change the gears in the rearend to make it pull a trailer better but i would also like to install some type of locker with these new gears as this tiny little truck gets stuck on wet grass, loose gravle, ect... any help would be great.

thanks in advance for any advice.

2. May 5, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    03 GMC Sierra
    Most fully assembled 3rd members you'll find you won't fit your truck. Our trucks have a smaller diff than the prerunner and 4X4 rear ends. Your option for a locker is pretty much just an automatic one like a powertrax or similar.

3. May 6, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    xrunner800

xrunner800 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 2wd mini taco
    I was thinking that lockright made one for the smaller rearend but when I type in 7.5 diff it tries to show me a locker for the front. But mostly for now I am just worried more about the gearing part. I don't know what gears it has in it or what set would be best for my needs. I would like to be able to pull a trailer with two four wheelers on it without the strain that I am putting on the motor. Hopefully on down the road I will put a three inch lift on it but of course that would be after I have another tow vehicle.

To Top