1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lowered B.S. Thread

Discussion in 'Street Trucks' started by mjbtaco, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Sep 24, 2013 at 9:05 AM
    tacoma22

tacoma22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma lowered on 22s
    djm 3-4, front stock xii coils and billy's, rear 6 lug leafs and qa1s, x runner wheels, tinted windows, painted mirrors, door handles, tailgate handle and hood squirters, shortened antenna, heated leather seats, debadged, remote start, fog lights.
    lots of good looking lowered trucks, ive never seen any other lowered 2nd gen Tacoma's around me just on the web.

2. Sep 24, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
    I have a question and i am sure to you guys it is a stoopid question and any newb should know this already, but what can I say I have always concentrated on lifting up my tacomas. But why is it all you guys drop reg cabs or access cabs and noone ever puts up pics or talks about dropping a double cab?? is there something wrong with a 5 lug double cab? I know they exist I have seen several on the road. It is just it is always old retiree's driving them and they are bone stock.

3. Sep 24, 2013 at 9:53 AM
    Phil Dammit

Phil Dammit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    4.5/5.5 drop, DJM arms, QA1 coilovers, 6lug leafs, QA1 18-way, rear swaybar, Batwing Big brakes, high flow cat, indy/hurst shifter, memphis amps, focal 3-ways, Eclipse AV unit, SunDown 10" custom box, TRD bucket swap.
    For the price of a double cab 5lug I can either get an xrunner or pay an extra lump for a 6lug. Plus it only comes with the 2tr at the moment. Plus lowering it would be the same. No thanks.

4. Sep 24, 2013 at 9:57 AM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    thought about slammin my double cab but then i went up and decided i liked the high life. i do think lowered reg and access cabs are cool though. always thought a lifted reg cab looked goofy :anonymous:

5. Sep 24, 2013 at 10:02 AM
    TacoFMS

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Well i was asking because once the current truck gets paid off i thought seriously about purchasing a 4cyl for a commuter. sadly wouldnt be able to get an access cab because of the family so I would need another double cab. and figured if I was gonna go for top gas mileage it would be a 5 lug 4cyl. and cant be rockin stock so I would be looking to customize. didnt know if it was taboo or something to mod a double cab?

6. Sep 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    4.5/5.5 drop, DJM arms, QA1 coilovers, 6lug leafs, QA1 18-way, rear swaybar, Batwing Big brakes, high flow cat, indy/hurst shifter, memphis amps, focal 3-ways, Eclipse AV unit, SunDown 10" custom box, TRD bucket swap.
    I liked my reg when it was lifted, love it more lowered though.

Fabing will be similar to that of an access being that the frames are very similar. Its going to be slow though. If they offered the double 5lug with the 1gr and the 6spd I'd be all over that. Then again I want a doublecab 6lug 4wd as a daily so I can make race truck.

7. Sep 24, 2013 at 10:59 AM
    TacoFMS

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    so what you are saying is that if i plan to get a 5 lug for a daily and fuel savings might want to convince the wife into an access cab or else im gonna be very disappointed with the 4cyl trying to push the extra weight? I wouldnt think there would be that much difference in weight between the dcsb and access cab???

8. Sep 24, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    tacoma22

tacoma22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma lowered on 22s
    djm 3-4, front stock xii coils and billy's, rear 6 lug leafs and qa1s, x runner wheels, tinted windows, painted mirrors, door handles, tailgate handle and hood squirters, shortened antenna, heated leather seats, debadged, remote start, fog lights.
    Phil Dammit do you still make the spacers also I already have the djm 3/4 I'm wanting to go 4/5 to close up the wheel gap I just picked up some rear 4x4 leafs and know it will stiffen a little but will the rear bilstein off a xrunner stiffen it a little more

9. Sep 24, 2013 at 1:41 PM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker

I would do some research but with the family thing I would do a double cab .

I do, invest in QA1s as the 6lug (dearched leafs) are going to do the opposite of what you think. Also look into grabbing a set of higher rate springs for the front. Unless you are saving up for the adjustable coilovers. I will be selling my xr billies, springs and spacers when the coilovers come out soon. Makes for 1.5" drop on top of the djm arms

10. Sep 24, 2013 at 1:48 PM
    TacoFMS

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:

110lbs difference and a listed 2mpg drop??? I wouldnt think that would equate to it feeling any more underpowered than it already would in an access cab.

11. Sep 24, 2013 at 3:07 PM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    I'm sure it's slower than my single cab. You get it if that's what your want to do. I'm not going to consider it till it comes with the 1gr.

12. Sep 25, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    Brendo Ballz808

Brendo Ballz808 Slammed or lifted.. ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN STOCK

Member:
    First Name:
    BRENDEN
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    SNOFLAKE
    Check out my build:)
    I think just not many people on TW are running the 5 lug DC
    Down here in Hawaii I got a friend who just bought one and there are like 5 I've seen already that are dropped with the DJm 3/4 kit and they look sick IMO I really wanted the 4 door but I wasn't happy with having a 4cyl and only able to get it in auto

To me personally a 4cyl auto and carrying four or five people didn't seem like a great idea and plus I prefer stick for anything 4cyl

My friend who went from a pre runner DC to a 5 lug DC said he gets way better mpg now and plus he wanted to enter the low life since he was never ginna lift his pre runner

13. Sep 25, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    Your friends a smart one. But I agree, 4cyl and auto dc with 4 grown people in it sounds really slow. Don't know why they don't offer it with the v6 option.

14. Sep 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 4x2 reg cab / 12 4x4 double cab
    **Afe cold air intake w/pro dry filter, Yellow tint fogs, Daytime running lights, led dome light, led license plate lights, Led tail lights, 3 inch carbon antenna, spec d projector headlights, carbon fiber look interior trim pieces, Djm control arms, Djm notch, 4x4 leaf springs, beefed taco 2 inch blocks with offset pin, Rear Qa1 Shocks, Sittin sic stock height coils, x runner bilstein front shocks, weathertech digital fit floor mats, debadged.
    Well good nws for me, took my truck in. they told me it was the just the valve cover leaking and water pump is starting to leak. Kinda feel like its more than the valve cover from what i saw with the oil dripping on the front and passenger side bottom of the engine. but ill let thm fi that then clan the engine and see if it still is making a mess. At least they didnt give me any issues about "voiding" the warranty with all my mods, cheeeee

15. Sep 25, 2013 at 5:11 PM
    Brendo Ballz808

Member:
    First Name:
    BRENDEN
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    SNOFLAKE
    Cheee!!! Cherreh

16. Sep 25, 2013 at 5:16 PM
    Brendo Ballz808

Member:
    First Name:
    BRENDEN
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    SNOFLAKE
    I think it be bad ass if they offered it with a 6 and 6 speed and leave the x runner kit off and bam! Be badass I don't see why it can't just be stick either it's same frame asan AC retarded but o well they are big in Hawaii plenty old timers like em and if I'm not mistaken there is a bagged one here

17. Sep 25, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    Yeah, and finally J

18. Sep 25, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 4x2 reg cab / 12 4x4 double cab
    **Afe cold air intake w/pro dry filter, Yellow tint fogs, Daytime running lights, led dome light, led license plate lights, Led tail lights, 3 inch carbon antenna, spec d projector headlights, carbon fiber look interior trim pieces, Djm control arms, Djm notch, 4x4 leaf springs, beefed taco 2 inch blocks with offset pin, Rear Qa1 Shocks, Sittin sic stock height coils, x runner bilstein front shocks, weathertech digital fit floor mats, debadged.
    i know, right. ha ha we'll see if its as simple as they say! you guys seen my pics of the engine. I wonder if just the bad valve cover can let that much oil travel all over the bottom. but again we shall see!

19. Sep 25, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    Phil Dammit

Member:
    First Name:
    Your Mom
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 5 lug minitrucker
    It xan

20. Sep 25, 2013 at 7:11 PM
    noSKills858

noSKills858 battlescars

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Poway, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 5-lug Prerunner
    Couple shocks, some old tires, and a bad paint job
    I'm sure this question has been answered, but what's the difference between the 2tr and the 3rz?

To Top