1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LR UCA Vibration

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by woodsbuggy3, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Jun 29, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    woodsbuggy3

woodsbuggy3 [OP] Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport 4x4
    -2009 Dbl Cab Shortbed 4x4
    -Eibach Springs w / 5100's set @ .85" = 2.5" lift total
    -5100's, TSB springs w / 1" blocks rear, Tom woods 1 piece shaft

I have been trying to track down a vibration for the last 4 months, it is not really that bad but it is there and been drving me crazy. I have gone thru just about every piece of my lift and finnaly decided to look at my UCA's. I swapped them out w / the OEM UCA's and I think the vibration is finnaly gone but my alignment is out of wack now.
    After inspecting the LR UCA's I dont really see anything obviously wrong but did notice 2 things that I wanted to check here and see if this is normal. I did some searching but really didnt come across any issues like this so it makes me skeptical that this is the problem. Also the LR UCA's were purchased November of 2009 from the toytec group buy so I dont think I have to worry about defective bushings / balljoints on the earlier parts. O yeah, tires have been Road force ballanced 6 times now:rolleyes: so I pretty much have rulled them out.

1. The OEM arm fits nice and tight in the mount, the LR arm has a gap between it and the mount. Is that typical or are mine flawed? Both LR UCA's are like this.
    2. I also noticed that once the arm is torqued the bushings seem to bind, like the only movement is the bushings giving and not the actual arm pivoting on the bolt, is that normal?

I am including a pic of the gap, once you torque the bolt it closes the gap but i am wondering if that is why my bushings are binding. thanks for your help!

[​IMG]

2. Jun 29, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Off Road SR5
    6000K HID Headlights 6000k HID Fog Lights Window visors (all 4) Tri-Fold Tonno Bedlined Rockers Bedlined Bumpers Bilstein 5100 Toytec 1/2" spacers 3" TSB Leafs and AAL's (Toytec) Differential 1" Drop Sway Bar Relocators BHLM Mod Debadged Pro Comp 7089s Hankook Dynapro 35" M/T's Billett Grill 55 watt fog lights in grill 55 watt fog lights on Pre-Runner Light Bar Rear Bilstein 5100's Flowmaster Super 10's Yellow Fog Light Mod Titanium Burl Wood Grain Dash Mod Leather Arm Rest Mod TRD Steering wheel Mod Painted Engine Cover Painted Fuse Box TRD Seat Belt Covers Bed Light Mod Extended/Braided Brake Lines Back up light mod
    Mine wasnt like that. It was fit tight. Perhaps the ball joint is over tightened or under? I had them on my 2006 Tacoma with a 3" lift and I loved them.

3. Jun 29, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Not sure how the ball joint would cause that gap.........

OP - Mine tightened up on the bushings when the long bolt was tightened down. Here's a pic of mine installed........
    [​IMG]
    Not sure you can tell about gap or not, I will put the visual on it in a few minutes when going to lunch and post back up about gap with everything tight. Mine were purchased around March 2010. Is your pic of the front of the arm or the rear of it? I'm guessing back based on orientation of the bolt.........either way, I've had no vibe or alignment issues. Oh, and mine are set @ 2.5 with bj @ 0 degree setting...........

4. Jun 29, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    woodsbuggy3

woodsbuggy3 [OP] Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport 4x4
    Yeah, that pic is without the balljoint even attahced. Once I set torque on the pivot bolt the gap closes but it still seems wrong since the OEM arms don't have this gap.

Interesting to hear that others don't have this gap when assembling there's.. Now that I know that I think I will give SPC a call and see what they have to say.

The vibration seems to come and go especially over bumps, so maybe that gap explains it :confused:

5. Jun 29, 2010 at 10:11 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    OK, just came from lunch. I have no gaps with everything tight on either side of the control arm on either side of the truck. IIRC, mine didn't have a crazy amount to pull tight with the long bolt. It might of had a bit but not real wide. It didn't take a lot of snugging on the long bolt before it tightened up on the bushings. Maybe you could get a couple of appropriately sized stainless washers to fill the gap on each side before snugging down the bolt to eliminate the gappage. I say stainless to keep rust away. Either way, hope you get it figured out. Let us know how it plays out. Haven't heard of any other LR UCA fitment issue like this.

Are you sure that the differential drop isn't needed since 4x4? Have heard of issues with this on some lifted trucks. Mine is prerunner.

6. Jun 29, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    woodsbuggy3

woodsbuggy3 [OP] Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport 4x4
    Thanks for checking! Although with it torqued down I dont have a gap iether. I do have the diff drop, I have had it both ways trying to find this vibration, didn't notice a diffrence with it on or off.

Can anyone else confirm that when you were installing the UCA's they did not have this gap before torqueing down the pivot bolt??

7. Jun 29, 2010 at 12:03 PM
    Infra

Infra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR 6spd
    CBI Bushmaster 2.0 rear bumper with swing out tire carrier & fold down camp table, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, Warn M8000-S, Icon 2.5 RR CDC Extended travel CO's with 700lb springs, Icon 2.5 RR CDC rear shocks, Icon hydro bumps, Total Chaos uniball UCA's, All Pro Expo leafs, U-bolt flip kit, Softopper, diff breather mod, extended rear brake lines, Grillecraft mesh grille, Elusive Elements behind grille light bar with B.A.M.F. LED light bar brackets, okLEDlightbars.com 20" double row LED light bar, Relentless Fabrication hood cb antenna mount, Wilson Silver Load CB antenna, Uniden 520 Pro XL CB radio, Wet okole seat covers, Weather tech floor liners, Weather tech in channel window deflectors, trasharoo spare tire trash bag carrier, Box Rocket 2nd gen bed rack with (2) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on drivers side, (2) 2 gallon water rotopax mounted on passenger side, (1) 3 gallon gas rotopax & (1) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on CBI swing out, Avid weld on sliders, Mattgecko LED bed light
  8. Jun 29, 2010 at 12:19 PM
    woodsbuggy3

woodsbuggy3 [OP] Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport 4x4
    Ok, just got off the phone with SPC. Seems like a really nice group of people.. They are telling me that it is possible that Toyota has some variances in their tolerances. They want me to try putting a washer in to take up the slop and see how it feels.
    Hopefully I will have the time in the next couple days to try this, I will report back with what I find.
    Thanks for everyone's input!
    -Jason

To Top