1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LS460 Retro

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by AsianAnts, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Aug 26, 2011 at 11:17 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    i was trying to tell you about the size lol they are massive!

the weight is no joke either! the set that the butt head at black flame customs did for me still had the ability to be adjusted so idk on that one? i can tell you that i told myself if i was ever in the position to recommend this projector for our trucks i would tell the truth the light is amazing but, they are a fucking bear to install correctly and most likely you will never have a dry headlight...

in order to retain full functionality and weather protection this projector is not the right choice... can it be done yes but, is it imho hit or miss yes. apparently professionals don't even recommend this projector for our trucks.

clearcorners.com are very high end! they are the oldest company that i know of that does high quality work besides bjorn at custom lightz and my .02 cents if he said he does not recomend them i would listen to him my experience should serve as record of them being damn near impossible to retrofit correctly lol.

2. Aug 26, 2011 at 11:19 PM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    That does look big! Got a pic of the back? Honestly, there is no need for jb weld to be used the 4 mounting bolts are good enough to hold it in place. I've had my TL retro done for almost 4 years now and its still solid.

3. Aug 26, 2011 at 11:25 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    the 460 is much larger than the tl that bottom reflector alone is massive thats also what allows the projector to light up 7 lanes across.

4. Aug 26, 2011 at 11:35 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    also you need some type of sealant to close off the gaping hole on the back side of the housing as well so its not just for stability.

5. Aug 27, 2011 at 12:03 AM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts [OP] just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    Yea... There is no mounting points for this ls460... The fx-r on the oher hand does... Im trying to figure out how to mount this.. Maybe drill the existing hole for the solenoid and top reflector and use longer screws to mount..for the plug, i can drill a hole into the housing just big enough to run the wire thru.. As for the bulb plug, maybe i can mod it to make it smaller to fit the existing hole of the houseing..

Basically, the reflector bowl will be made bigger, projector scrrewed to the bowl. Wires will be modded.

Or...i can just call trs and swap em out for diff projectors :-(

6. Aug 27, 2011 at 12:11 AM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    Btw i cant even take the screws off to take it apart......i wanted to paint some parts... D:

7. Aug 27, 2011 at 12:15 AM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    Shiet i wonder if i can just ditch the bowl and mount straight to the housing lol!!!i will start tinkering tmr... I have a headlight apart. .And eady to dremel!.. Gonna be a long hot day

8. Aug 27, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    update: this project will be abandoned. Read Han's thread and his replies here over and over and also contacted the vendors and names that he mentioned in earlier posts. They too recommend mini's or fx-r. LS460 has too many complications. Coming from the pros, it would bewho of me to take their advice.

So with that being said, I'll be contacting Matt at TRS for an exchange and partial refund. I'll be requesting to exchange for FX-R projectors. Who knows, maybe my refund will be enough to buy some ebay lights and another set of projectors? That way, I can get the clear reflectors and make someone a set of retrofits here or locally?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Aug 28, 2011 at 8:50 PM
    tc98tacoma

tc98tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    98tacoma4x4
    3inch toytec coils 5100's, aal(soon to be replaced), 33/12.5 km2s, + a money hole...
  10. Sep 2, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    Hans, just wondering if you had any issues with plugging the wire to the bulb? was there enough room?? the battery and the wiper fluid didnt get in the way?

11. Sep 16, 2011 at 12:09 PM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    by the way i went forward with this projector

update from LightWerkz: "
    OK all is going well. Projectors are mounted. Back housings are cut and are being extended now. The stained glass painting came out great. Red shields and insides of projectors looks awesome. Getting ready to paint the bowl shortly.

Will update on Monday and we should be able to have it go out earlier next week. "

12. Sep 17, 2011 at 5:39 AM
    808TUNDA

808TUNDA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Oahu, Hawaii
    You're gonna love them! I just had mines done by them and they are BadAss!! you can check out my pics in their gallery....the only White Tacoma!! :cool:

13. Sep 17, 2011 at 8:35 AM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    you have the LS460 setup???????? with the blue angel eyes?????

14. Sep 17, 2011 at 9:02 AM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD-Off Road PreRunner
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5, 3.5 BS, 305/70 GT Radial MT, King extended travel front/rear, 2" add-a-leaf, Maxtrack Spindles, Sway bar delete, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, cali raised amber LED fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamp from autozone, Hellas 500 behind grill, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    I just bought a set of FX-R's from KBcarstuff.com (canadian company). Maybe it's a dumb question, but the FX-R's are adjustable? From the PDF instructions I found on a WRX they had to hold the FXR's in place and epoxy them lights into position. So I can adjust my lights with screws?

15. Sep 17, 2011 at 9:09 AM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    my FX-R seutp (along with many others) are mounted onto the reflector bowl using 4 screws... by doing so, you will still have the ability to adjust your lights using the 2 stock screws in the back of the housing.... some sort of adhesive (epoxy/rtv hi-temp silicon) will be used to mount the shroud onto the FX-R

you can see my FX-R build here:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/162112-fx-r-retro-progress.html

16. Sep 17, 2011 at 9:38 AM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD-Off Road PreRunner
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5, 3.5 BS, 305/70 GT Radial MT, King extended travel front/rear, 2" add-a-leaf, Maxtrack Spindles, Sway bar delete, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, cali raised amber LED fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamp from autozone, Hellas 500 behind grill, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    :) Good stuff.

17. Sep 18, 2011 at 3:27 AM
    808TUNDA

808TUNDA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Oahu, Hawaii
    haha, no, they're FX-Rs 1.0.....and yeah the blue angel eyes. :D

I was just referring to the fact that I also had mines done by LW. You will love them!

and my work computer doesn't show pics so I'm not sure if you posted a pic in that post of yours, sorry for the confusion bro.

18. Sep 18, 2011 at 7:56 AM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    ahh llama! jk jk...

i didnt post a pic..i just posted the link to my FX-R thread. :)

19. Sep 19, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    AsianAnts

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
  20. Sep 19, 2011 at 11:30 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Those look f-in sexy as hell! I can't wait to see the finished product!

Products Discussed in

To Top