1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LSD or air locker for front diff

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Alby9999, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Sep 1, 2010 at 10:12 AM
    Alby9999

Alby9999 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alby
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    07 AC TRD OR Impulse Red
    TRD Cat back exhaust 3" FR lift-AAL CAI-Ram air D rings Tail gate theft mod 4x4 illumination switch mod Redline hood struts Fogs on any time mod diff breather relocation mod 886 reverse light mod Wet Okole Avid weld on sliders LR UCAs Locker mod 115 in cab outlet 400w anytime
    I have a 2007 TRD OR and was wondering if anyone has replaced the open front diff to a LSD or air locker. I am looking for true 4WD in certain off road situations but I am worried about the on road performance. When in 2WD what are the consequences? If torque is not coming from the transfer case to the diff would the LSD actually lock on turns and such? What will it do to the anti-lock braking system?
    Thanks.

2. Sep 1, 2010 at 11:58 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I'd go with an air-locker (aka selectable locker or ARB) because they don't do anything (OPEN DIFF) until you engage it.

As for an LSD in the front....Probably a waste of money for the amount of benefits you'll get from it offroad. Think of it this way:

The amount of money it'll cost for you to install an LSD won't be that much less than it would be to install an ARB. And the ARB won't change anything in 2WD.

3. Sep 1, 2010 at 12:18 PM
    Alby9999

Alby9999 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alby
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    07 AC TRD OR Impulse Red
    TRD Cat back exhaust 3" FR lift-AAL CAI-Ram air D rings Tail gate theft mod 4x4 illumination switch mod Redline hood struts Fogs on any time mod diff breather relocation mod 886 reverse light mod Wet Okole Avid weld on sliders LR UCAs Locker mod 115 in cab outlet 400w anytime
    Thanks Janster. I've been kicking this around for awhile. Thought I'd ask the experts. Thanks again.

Products Discussed in

To Top