1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lucas Oil Additive review

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LVTacoma, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Sep 20, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    LVTacoma

LVTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Not too much talk on the forums about this stuff. But..
    I used the Lucal Oil Additive with Valvoline synpower 5-30 (I always use Mobil 1 but got Valv. for free) in my last oil change, I should have not even ran it after mixing it in and seeing that the viscosity of it is the same as jelly. Had it in the truck for about 500 miles before I had to change it back out to Mobil1. My drive to work has a few straight uphill freeway miles in it and I noticed it worked harder to get up those straightaways by downshifting more and higher rpms. Also, having laid on the gas from time to time it dogged bad and ran like it was barely on 6cyl. Im no fluid guru in technical terms, but the Lucas is garbage. My oil psi was way too high with it in and I'm suprised I didnt blow a gasket on something. Changed back to Mobil1 and its back to normal. Read up on that stuff if you plan on using it, as I just took word of mouth on how good it is supposed to be and learned otherwise :(

2. Sep 20, 2010 at 9:53 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    NEVER use an oil addative in an engine. Unless it has hundreds of thousands of miles, and you just want a last resort to get the oil psi up. That Lucas stuff is garbage, and I wouldnt use it in my air compressor.

3. Sep 20, 2010 at 10:01 AM
    sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe They are more like guide lines.

Member:
    All Over
    Vehicle:
    Silver and simple
    Non
    I am not a "guru" but have put in work when it comes to Oil and what is and should be in them. My reccomendation is not to use engine oil additives. There are already oil additives in your oil. Each oil made by each manufacturer has a special reciept for that respective oil. Viscosity additives and other like detergents and so on..... Lucas makes good products (you can see they sell by how huge the company has gotten) but I feel that anything added to oil in an engine is a waste. Thats my 2cents. JOE>

4. Sep 20, 2010 at 10:16 AM
    LVTacoma

LVTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Never again, it took me two quarts of new oil to flush it out when I changed back to Mobil1 and took about 10min to fully drip out until I felt it was flushed out. One of few stupid decisions I've made with my truck added to the list :D

5. Sep 20, 2010 at 5:20 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    I have never used any additives, only recommended fluids

but then again I have never had any problems either

6. Sep 21, 2010 at 12:04 PM
    Hard Taco2

Hard Taco2 Active Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    06 TDR Off Road
    I would not put it in my Taco, but I've seen it do wonders for high mileage Ford and Chrysler engines.

7. Oct 2, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    WV4x4

WV4x4 Member

Member:
    I used to use it in my S10 with conventional oils but I don't think its needed with synthetics, and as thick as it is it probably kills fuel mileage

8. Oct 2, 2010 at 1:04 PM
    Chrisjl84

Chrisjl84 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    Same thing one of the other guys said, I didn't start using Lucas until My 94 ranger hit 150K... I actually had some gaskets getting bad and the lucas helped seal them off, very very good stuff if your trying to add a little life to your high mileage engine, otherwise, I wouldn't use it!

Products Discussed in

To Top