1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

lung pain?

Discussion in 'Health' started by dunkhi, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Jan 24, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    has anybody replying to this thread ever been addicted to cigs?

2. Jan 24, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    yep.

3. Jan 24, 2010 at 6:31 PM
    shockittillyareconizeit

shockittillyareconizeit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Coma PreRunner
    Front - Icon 2.5 Coilovers, Maxtrac 4" lift spindles, TC UCA's Rear - Billy's 5100/1.5 AAL, 3" lift blocks MB Predator wheels - 16x8 plasti-dipped matte black Toyo Open Country A/T 305/70/16 Satoshi grille Blacked out badges DTRL Wet Okole seat covers
    Ok, so you've been feeling numb and light headed when you get up. Pins and needles in your fingers and toes and Lung/shoulder pain after you work out. You have asthma and you smoke. just making sure my facts are straight.

Dizziness/pass out:
    Up until about age 20ish, it's normal to get the lightheaded/pass out feeling after you get up from sitting or lying. A lot of changes are going on in the body and in some people, it just takes your blood vessels a little longer to get smaller and ensure your brain is being supplied with enough blood and oxygen.

Also, if you're lying or sitting for long periods of time, your body relaxes and gets used to the position that you're in, so a sudden change in that can also account for that feeling.

Also, if you are in a warm environment and you suddenly get up the same effects can occur with your blood vessels not getting small enough, quick enough.

Or you can just have shitty cellular respiration due to the smoking and asthma.

As for the numbness, it could be due to a lung issue, but is usually related to some type of neurological issue. Could be a little bit of both or could be nothing at all.

And the pain could be due to you working that area of your chest too hard during your workout and not giving enough time for your muscles and such to heal. Or it could be due to a lung problem.

Or you can just have shitty cellular respiration in your lungs.

My advice? If you care for it, is to go see your doctor. Tell him/her everything that you've been feeling or having a problem with and they will do blood work and run pulmonary function testing most likely.

Your main thing right now is to STOP SMOKING!!!

You have asthma, yet you smoke. Not smart. Smoking is dumb period.

I'm not a doctor, and i can't tell you for sure as well as no one else other than your personal physician. i could be totally wrong about everything that i've said, but go get checked out. Lung cancer would suck.

4. Jan 24, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    then you know what i'm talking about.i smoked for 15 years before i quit.this guy has a problem smoking,he admits that.telling him he is going to die or making fun of him is not going to make him quit.that is a decision he is going to have to make for himself.if someone was telling you that you needed to quit,even though you know you do,what would you want to hear?and i'm not saying this towards you,im just trying to make a point.

5. Jan 24, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    I'm not really a doctor, but I do play one on the interweb. My advice is to visit a truck forum and get a diagnosis. No really, see a doc. Sounds kind of serious to be playing 'what do you think it is?'. Go find out.

6. Jan 24, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    dunkhi

dunkhi [OP] CSULB socal

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Sirois
    Southern California. Fountain Valley
    Vehicle:
    09 Ivan Stewart
    Toytec Coilover kit. Bilstein's 5100. Alcoa Wheels. General Tires. Magnaflow Cat-back. BLHM. Yellow fogs. 13TW5 jl sub. Stewart Decals.
    thanks for ur insight and write up. i really appreciate it.

the vertigo feeling didnt start happening until i started smoking so i just thought that might be the catalyst in my position. or maybe it is just bad timing with my body.

yea im making an appointment soon. the doctors are closed today though. thanks for the respoonse.

thanks again. but, im not worried about mod money right now.

7. Jan 24, 2010 at 6:53 PM
    dunkhi

dunkhi [OP] CSULB socal

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Sirois
    Southern California. Fountain Valley
    Vehicle:
    09 Ivan Stewart
    Toytec Coilover kit. Bilstein's 5100. Alcoa Wheels. General Tires. Magnaflow Cat-back. BLHM. Yellow fogs. 13TW5 jl sub. Stewart Decals.
    just wanted to see if anyone from this ENORMOUS online community has had the same symptoms.

8. Jan 24, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    The thing with people is that they are all different.

Honestly it sounds like you pulled something. Does it hurt when you breath? Does it hurt all the time? Hold your breath and twist and turn, bend forward and back. Still hurt? Take a deep breath, hurt more than normal breathing or about the same? What kind of pain is it? Sharp, dull, throbbing, stabbing? Have you ever had any pain like this before? Does this feel asthma related at all or something new?

Could have some plural rub going on.

9. Jan 24, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    He has no signs of inflammation nor pain with breathing. At least, not that he's mentioned.

Let me reiterate: he needs to see a doctor.

I'm in health care. Because I've been (absurdly thoroughly) educated on examination, diagnosis, and intervention, I understand the risks of performing those processes improperly; likely moreso than the layman.

The problem with non-medical folk is they tend to think their diagnosis of condition X is the same as their buddy's diagnosis of condition X. IT ISN'T. Your buddy has a different health history, different health conditions, and different genetics. He is also potentially on different medications, and may have different co-morbidities alongside his condition.

Two different people with the same condition CANNOT be assessed or treated in the same way. It doesn't matter if anyone on this forum has had a condition similar to yours, or the same as yours. It does not matter. Go see a physician and have him examine, evaluate, and diagnose YOUR condition.

My guess is that since his shoulder and torso only bother him during workouts he has a shoulder issue. But then, I'm an ortho monkey anyway, so I'm going to look for the musculoskeletal cause of every complaint :p

10. Jan 24, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    [​IMG]

My work here is done.

11. Jan 24, 2010 at 7:34 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    have you had pleurisy?

12. Jan 24, 2010 at 7:36 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    No. Does it matter?

Most orthopaedic surgeons haven't had a knee replacement, and most neurologists have never had a spinal cord injury. What of it?

We're talking about what is legitimate medical assessment and what is guessing on the internet.

He could have pleurisy, or he could have a lung tumor, or he could have aspirated a foreign object, or he could have a muscle strain, or he could have a rotator cuff tear/dysfunction, or he could have heart disease, or he could have...or...or...

Pain in one area of the body CANNOT lead to a diagnosis. No medical professional that's remotely competent will diagnose off of one sign or symptom alone.

See, this is why he needs to see an MD. Nothing we can do on here is a medical test to rule in/out different diseases or differentially diagnose his condition when things can't be ruled in/out. Doctors kind of do that as it's their JOB.

13. Jan 24, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    he just asked a simple question ,to somebody that has had the same condition.he does need to see a doc,thats what me and him have been talking about through pm's.i told him that i would pray for him,talk to him about his concerns,and be his friend in his time of need.but thank you for your input.

14. Jan 24, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

No you had a similar symptom, which is miles away from the same condition. And this is my point - people who have no idea what they're doing shouldn't be doing at all. Typically it just confuses the situation and the patient, making more work for everyone and lengthening treatment time. A person with a fractured scaphoid and a person with a carpal tunnel syndrome can both have similar wrist pain. The diagnoses and treatments are miles apart.

No offense, but this is one of the most frustrating things for medical professionals to deal with. Ever see those signs that say "The cost is $10, or $20 if you tried to fix it yourself first."? There you go.

No one in their right mind would consult a doctor about how to rebuild their tranny, and neither should someone with a medical problem ask truck enthusiasts about their condition.

15. Jan 24, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Raptor!

16. Jan 24, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    just one friend to another dude.

17. Jan 24, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

I understand that. What I'm trying to do here is help you understand how you could be causing more trouble than you're helping.

Encouragement and support are great. Especially if you're encouraging and supporting him to see a physician.

18. Jan 24, 2010 at 8:19 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    is telling him to go see the doc wrong?thats what i am telling him.i'm no doctor,just a friend trying to lead him in the right direction.how is that causing more harm than good?

19. Jan 24, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    If that's all you're doing, then you're on the right track, and I commend you.

The reason this thread (and interactions like it) are a problem for most health professionals is because the patient often form a preconception about what their condition is. In many cases, patients will look into whatever has caught their attention and form yet more preconceptions.

This hurts care in the long run because patients present this conception to their caregiver. "I think it's _______" is something I hear daily at work. While it's perfectly natural to be curious about your condition, forming an opinion on the problem is the last thing the patient should do. Tell your physician what symptoms you have, let him perform his examination, and answer his questions. This is the best way to get the most accurate diagnosis as quickly as possible and begin proper care as quickly as possible.

Wild guessing, such as this thread, just skews things and muddies the waters.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to rag on you personally. Most people who make this mistake mean well. But good intentions don't mean much. When it comes to any highly skilled profession, and it's arguable medicine is more so than any of them, it's best to stay out of the way and let the professionals work.

20. Jan 24, 2010 at 8:56 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    then you have saved him.

Products Discussed in

To Top