1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lunge when Stopped

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by argm31i, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Oct 24, 2007 at 6:18 PM
    prclements

prclements Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road DC 4x4 SR5 Tow
    Running boards, bed mat
    Even if it was the truck's fault, I'm still in the honeymoon phase (only 5.3k miles) and, therefore, could not possibly bring myself to blame it on the truck, manufacturer, or their assigns and successors.

2. Oct 25, 2007 at 7:59 PM
    Manofs

Manofs Well-Known Member

Member:
    well, i just hit my 5000 mile mark so.......since i have 4 free oil changes for my truck i took it in to get done. upon my arrive at the dealership, i had also realized the same problem, the "lunging" or what i prefer, its like a slight bump from someone behind you. i told this to the service guy, and they looked at it today, they said it had something to do with the brakes, that they were not adjusted correctly...blah, blah, blah, saying this thinking i had no clue about anything. It was late and really didnt feel like getting into a coversation about something i know more about than he probably does. i decided to let it go and take my truck. and to my astonishment, no more "lunge" so......i would have to say have your breaks checked.

3. Oct 25, 2007 at 9:08 PM
    LRH

LRH Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA USA
    Vehicle:
    '07 2.7L PreRunner
    The reason the lunge is less noticeable is because at low parking lot speeds (and traffic creeping ) the back brakes seem to really do there share, and the brakes do take less pressure to keep vehicle stopped and not subject to roll with just 50-100 RPM increases in engine speed; where as before you may have had 15lbs pressure on the pedal to hold it stopped, it now requires maybe 5lbs. The dealer could have slightly overtightened the brakes, so you may loose a little of the new increase in brake performance. The rear drums seem to always be a little loose on the 2nd series Tacoma's. I adjusted mine up a little about 5-6 months ago, since I could actually hear the shoes moving in and out (while sitting still/parking, not at highway speeds) and sometimes I could release the parking brake and the right rear would not release when in reverse. Drivers side needed about 6 clicks and right rear needed 13. Drove it for a day and checked with infrared temp gun and drivers side drum was about 60º warmer than right side. jacked it up and neither had any drag, so tightened right 5 more clicks and drivers 1 click, both had very minimal drag at this point. About once a month I do a hard 45-55 mph stop just before my driveway and check drum temp after a 5-8 min hot soak and they are always within 5º of each other. Brake pedal gained about 1/2" of height.

To Top