1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

M101 Military Trailer

Discussion in 'Towing' started by TerryS, May 18, 2011.

1. May 18, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    TerryS

TerryS [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Vehicle:
    '10 SR5 AC 4x4
    WeatherTech floor liners and wind deflectors; shorty antenna; OEM tow hitch & wiring; bed mat; accessory meter console w/temp & compass; 4WD switch lighting mod; Viper 5301 Remote Start; TRD front tow hook and aluminum skid plate; color matched door handles & grille; FJ fog light switch with on/off indicator light; fog light anytime mod; N-Fab steps; Extang tonneau; Blu-Logic bluetooth, and; TRD OR alloy wheels.
    I'm thinking about picking up a M101 3/4 ton military trailer and am wondering if anyone here has experience pulling one with their Tacoma. Anyone?

2. May 18, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    Audacia77

Audacia77 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    They forgot to tell me we're not in Iraq anymore..
    Vehicle:
    It's MINE!
    All Pro bumpers, sliders & armor
    Bumping for interest. Hoping for some good input.... Sorry I don't have anything to add though.

3. May 18, 2011 at 2:19 PM
    TerryS

TerryS [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Vehicle:
    '10 SR5 AC 4x4
    WeatherTech floor liners and wind deflectors; shorty antenna; OEM tow hitch & wiring; bed mat; accessory meter console w/temp & compass; 4WD switch lighting mod; Viper 5301 Remote Start; TRD front tow hook and aluminum skid plate; color matched door handles & grille; FJ fog light switch with on/off indicator light; fog light anytime mod; N-Fab steps; Extang tonneau; Blu-Logic bluetooth, and; TRD OR alloy wheels.

Thanks, Ben. I noticed a couple of people listed military trailers in the "Show us what you tow" thread. I hope they'll chime in here.
    M101:
    [​IMG]

M100:
    [​IMG]

M416:
    [​IMG]

The 3/4 ton M101 (A1, A2 or A3) is very versatile, but maybe a bit big for a Tacoma. That's one of my questions for TW users. The 1/4 ton M100s and M416s are a bit small, in my opinion, at least for what I do with a trailer, and more suited for the old military Jeep. Lots of off-roaders use the M100s though. Other questions I have are about the hitch.

I'm very interested in how people make up the hitch, since the M101 uses a lunette to pintle connection. In my review, I've seen some convert to the standard ball coupler at the trailer or to a high articulation coupler. I also wonder how connection to the trailer is carried off without a lift, since the height to the trailer's lunette is about 22"

[​IMG]

Here's a link to a mid-west 4x4 forum where a very talented guy modified and updated his M101 for general use, much as I would use one for: http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=189516

Here's a general reference link to info & photos of many military trailers:http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_vehicle_id_trailers.php

Enjoy! And chime in....

4. Oct 3, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    Erik

Erik That smells like pure gasoline

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Nashua, NH
    Vehicle:
    10'TRD off-road
    Shrockworks bumper+ IFS skid, 4xInnovations rock sliders, Toytec Bilstein/Eibach 5100 @ 2.5", 3" All-pro leaf pack w/Bilstein 5100, PIAA 510SMR, PIAA 1500, Python LC3 2-way Auto-start, Fog lights on w/Parking lights, ATRAC Hack, Diff breather mod
    I am also considering the M101 trailer. I know it has to be converted from 24v to 12v. I am wondering what needs to be done for it to be good for highway use as well as off road use.

I have heard of people swapping axels, but I am not sure why.

5. Oct 3, 2011 at 4:16 PM
    ILLINOISTACOMAGUY

ILLINOISTACOMAGUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darryl
    ILLINOIS
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 SPORT
    WeatherTech Digital floor mats front and rear. Ventvisors, Hood protector, Towing package, Bed tiedowns, Wheel to Wheel steps,
  6. Oct 4, 2011 at 8:39 AM
    sechsgang

sechsgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    haha, good idea!
    What is the GVWR of that trailer? I doubt you'd have a problem towing one, but have not done it, so that's just a guess ...
    Edit: looking at the pic above, it looks like the GVW of the trailer is around 3,600lbs with 2,200 lbs cargo. Should work fine I'd say. Sounds like a good utility trailer!

7. Oct 16, 2011 at 9:22 AM
    Lazylegs

Lazylegs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Southern Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Toyota AC Sold
    Tint (35%), a must. Step bars, Bull bar, Bull lights,4x4 light mod, Flip down 10" DVD player, De badged, Color match front emblem, color matched bumpers., black out tails, Cobra cb, Flashlight mod,bed-light mod,
    I use mine all the time to pull M101a1,a2,and,a3's. The a3 is the best pull. It tows so easy do to the dropped and wider axles.

8. Oct 16, 2011 at 9:24 AM
    Lazylegs

Lazylegs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Southern Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Toyota AC Sold
    Tint (35%), a must. Step bars, Bull bar, Bull lights,4x4 light mod, Flip down 10" DVD player, De badged, Color match front emblem, color matched bumpers., black out tails, Cobra cb, Flashlight mod,bed-light mod,
    Empty the trialer weights 1,200 lbs. You can put a load up to 3,600 lbs on the axle of a M101A1. A3's have a heavier axle so one could place more of a load on them.

To Top