1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mac or PC

Discussion in 'Technology' started by borderbrat, Dec 17, 2008.

?

do you own a mac or pc

1. MAC

133 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. PC

155 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. Mar 29, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    oh, and Pster, VMWare is for PCs also. If Apple allowed their shitty OS to run on on my non-apple laptop, I could go ahead and put that peice of shit OS on my harddrive via VMWare. But I'd rather take up the space with TF2, DoD, CS, L4D, and other things Apples can't do right.

Yeah, Apples can run Windows. Great. Play a CPU, RAM, and GPU intensive game on a Windows box, then play the same game through your shitty dual boot whatever the fuck it's called that Apple does. It plays like shit even with the same specs.

Also, you're rugged stainless or aluminum shell doesn't mean shit. I'd take my ThinkPad with a millimeter thick magnesium cage around the internals over your stylish .1 mm thick cute laptop.

2. Mar 29, 2009 at 2:29 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Actually, I agree with all the PC users' comments. Let's keep Apple market share <20% and a niche product. I don't want it widely used. :)

3. Mar 29, 2009 at 3:00 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Not saying they have to open the OS. Letting the OS run on other hardware isn't releasing their intellectual property. They're forcing you to use their hardware. It's like Dell forcing it's customers to use a special Dell version of Windows. Their underlying hardware isn't really any different than any standard PC other than the bios and a few minor creature comforts. Most of the functionality of the Mac comes from the OS, not the hardware it's running on. They would probably get more revenue if they would sell just the software. I personally wouldn't buy a Mac. As far as I'm concerned they're far worse than Microsoft with regards to competition.

4. Mar 29, 2009 at 3:10 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    I totally agree. Let's hope they keep their price point up to keep the users to only those that want it. If it becomes widespread it will attract all the virus hackers that plague PCs.

5. Mar 29, 2009 at 4:14 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    There was some competition between hackers to see who could fuck up OSX, Linux (forget what distro) and Windows first.

OSX was the first to get hacked.

6. Mar 29, 2009 at 5:19 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    How would that explain years of fixing virus infected PCs and I have a had my Apple almost 2 years now without one bug or attack? Me thinks PC owners are revisionists.

7. Mar 29, 2009 at 5:29 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    I've been using windows since 3.1 and I haven't had a virus. FYI, in 3.1 there was no "Start" button. It was before that...like 15 years ago.

People that praise OSX for not being able to get a virus are the people that get them on windows.

8. Mar 29, 2009 at 5:33 PM
    duke598

duke598 Newbie

Member:
    Savannah, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    Dual Silverline Stainlesspack with Stainless Steel Tips, 3" ReadyLift SST, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1s wrapped with 285/75/16 Terra Grapplers, 4 piece Billet Grille with black toyota emblem
    Just build your own like I did.
    It's nowhere near as hard as people think, and plus it can save you a wad of $$$.

9. Mar 29, 2009 at 6:14 PM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    Exactly, I re-built my desktop last year for roughly $300 can't beat that. All parts were from newegg.

10. Mar 29, 2009 at 7:13 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Windows gets more attacks because it's more popular. Any modern OS in a connected network is susceptible to virus attack or hacking. They all have a huge code base where vulnerabilities exist. Macs aren't currently targeted but that doesn't mean it's safer. It's like living in the city versus living in the country. In the country you can pretty much leave your doors unlocked whereas in a city, you have to keep it locked. The vulnerability in the country still exists, it's just not exploited.

Being a PC owner since the early 90s, I've never had a virus attack.

11. Mar 29, 2009 at 8:39 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Hmmmm.....I like livin in the country. Air is better.

12. Mar 29, 2009 at 9:13 PM
    Apple X C0re

Apple X C0re Atomic Punk

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Franklin, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    De-badged, MetalMiller grille emblem, brush guard, K&N Intake, Thrush tube, Black euro tail lights, Various scratches, Cobra 29LTD CB with custom echo board, 10" sony subwoofer with MTX amp, Black low-profile tool box, 5% tint all around.
    I used to use windows xp, but I got tired of the horrible support when something went wrong. When vista came out, I bought a 2.4 ghz dual core Imac with leopard. Awesome computer, easy to use and it does what I need it to do without lugging down.

13. Mar 29, 2009 at 9:21 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Now we're talking real sense here. But this is going to upset the Microsuck folks.

14. Mar 29, 2009 at 9:21 PM
    bspencer505

bspencer505 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad w/JBL
    None
    AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -
    I have 4 PC's w/XP - all up and running for 4 years straight. One more with Vista - up and running for 2 years. My XP boxes and my Vista box run 100% with no problems.

I have one with a swap HDD - running Windows 7 Beta - Windows 7 will finally get it right for the novice.

FYI: Macs are nothing more than a PC (Intel processor, same mem, etc) running a version of Unix/Linux called BSD -

So for those of you running Macs - You're Unix fans.....

I'll never buy a Mac.

And yes - Macs have limited attacks, virus' because they hold such a small market share. But for those of you who switch to a mac - more and more virus' and exploits will become available. Macs have NOTHING special about them - no secret programmers, no bullet proof OS or hardware - just the quite kid in the corner. But that'll change - get ready Kids, Your virus' are coming.....

Macs have never been a pro box to me. Think about this: Visit any CPA, Architect, network distro center (server farm) and you'll notice the professional world runs PC's.

15. Mar 29, 2009 at 9:24 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Doesn't bother me a bit what someone choses to spend their money on.

16. Mar 29, 2009 at 9:25 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Unless you live next to a dairy farm.

17. Mar 29, 2009 at 9:59 PM
    bspencer505

bspencer505 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad w/JBL
    None

Agreed - I don't get bothered either. I purchased my wife a $450 Acer laptop for her work in a masters program in architecture. Smokin fast dual core and does a great job. Some of her friends spent 3 times that on a Macbook and ask to borrow hers because they cant get the software they need to finish projects. $1500 down the drain.

I'm not bothered either.....

18. Mar 30, 2009 at 7:17 AM
    borderbrat

borderbrat [OP] Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    even then i'll take it over the stink of a big city.

19. Mar 30, 2009 at 11:47 AM
    cbcs1987

cbcs1987 Redneck from the hills

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4wd access cab
    6" Fabtech coilover lift. 35/12.50/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, 17x9 ProComp 1089 wheels painted black, UWS black lowprofile toolbox, husky liners, tacoma bed mat, bed lights, Premier stereo, Cobra 19 cb, firestik 3' antenna.
    damnit. i clicked mac n meant to click pc...owell freebie for mac users lol.

20. Mar 31, 2009 at 8:58 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    We have a bunch of HP Laptops and Desktops (all are high end too) ... maybe 20 in all. And we have 2 Apple laptops (5y/o Apple Laptop and a new Mac Pro).

Both of the Apples run "Perfectly" and we had to learn the Apple System .. which is a little different.

Neither the 5 y/o Apple or the new Mac Pro has never crashed and I will NEVER, NEVER buy another PC in this lifetime.

Only Apples on our on menu now.

ONLY problem with Apples is ..... HIGH PRICE ... and software is more scarce and expensive.

SOS

Products Discussed in

To Top