1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mac shopping

Discussion in 'Technology' started by tomwilson74, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Jul 4, 2014 at 10:28 PM
    Guerrilla

Guerrilla L(.)(.)K@G(.)(.)Dz

Member:
    First Name:
    D. Cooley
    Coast to Coast
    Vehicle:
    El' Black 13 DCSB 4x4
    Stuff
    Def get a Mac, I'm using the same MacBookPro I bought in (( spring of 2006 )) it's been all over the world with me several times, it's never given me any real issues, once I had to take it in, it was fixed in minutes and didnt even cost me. It really only needs some more memory bc it's slow at times, for instance on TW when a thread has a lot of GIFS etc.

As many sites as this Macs been to, there's no telling how many PCs I'd have gone thru over an 8yr period. My experince with PCs, has been they're garbage. The ones I've had I wanted to crush with a sledge hammer then pee pee on'em.

2. Jul 4, 2014 at 10:37 PM
    808TacoMan

808TacoMan HAWAIIAN

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawson
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Toytec Ultimate lift Coilovers Toytec AAL No diff Drop 5% Tint all around Morimoto 2Stroke LEDS High and Low Morimoto Fog Lights MESO Key FOBs

One upside is $10 cases on eBay

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Jul 5, 2014 at 5:24 AM
    packrobottom

packrobottom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pack
    Vehicle:
    Sky Silver SR5 DC v6 with sport mods
    If your gonna use a PC you might as well just get a Nissan to!

4. Jul 10, 2014 at 1:43 PM
    tomwilson74

tomwilson74 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD double cab OR
    OME 3” lift Mickey Thompson Classic III Wheels
    Just couldn't handle the $1000 for a Mac. Just ordered a 17" Acer. I have read good reviews on them. My daughter is a senior in college and this college gives the students this model for classes. I read that Gateway is just an Acer with a Gateway sticker on it. I hope it is a good one. Couldn't be much worse than the Dell I just sent back.

5. Jul 10, 2014 at 1:56 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    GL with your new PC :bananadead:

Between my business and home, we now own 5 Mac's and I feel they're worth every penny otherwise I would never have dropped the kind of coin on them that they fetch.

6. Jul 10, 2014 at 2:02 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    I never hear anybody regretting the amount of money they spent on a Mac. Most people will buy 2-3 PCs in the amount of time a person owns 1 Mac.

7. Jul 10, 2014 at 2:16 PM
    tomwilson74

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD double cab OR
    If I had a thousand to spend, I would get a Mac. Me no have big money for Mac, have daughter in college.

8. Jul 10, 2014 at 5:22 PM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    Buying multiple PC's for the price of a Mac is kind of the point, isn't it.

Two years ago I got a new MacBook Pro at work that cost a princely $1,800 and I bought a Toshiba PC with identical specs for $600 for personal use. Both have worked without a glitch and being the geek that I am they both get used a ton. Today, I could go buy the latest PC with a faster processor, more RAM, etc, etc, etc and still have only spent $1,200. And, in 2 years after that I could buy a third PC with an even faster processor, RAM, etc, etc, etc. I would have a brand new PC and you would have a 4 year old MAC for the same amount of money.

Don't get me wrong, if money were no object I would have a Mac for personal use. But if money were no object I'd do a lot of things. Using a Mac is like driving a Cadillac, it is a luxury experience. But trying to make the argument that a Mac is cheaper, really? Nah, not going to buy that.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  9. Jul 10, 2014 at 5:46 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    To each their own. I would honestly prefer to use a 4yr old Mac over a brand new PC lol.

10. Jul 10, 2014 at 8:54 PM
    Guerrilla

Guerrilla L(.)(.)K@G(.)(.)Dz

Member:
    First Name:
    D. Cooley
    Coast to Coast
    Vehicle:
    El' Black 13 DCSB 4x4
    Stuff
    My buddy had an Acer, I remember it on one of the deployments. What I remember about it is the look on his face everytime he'd turn it on and it giving him problems.

Hopefully yours will hold up. Maybe one day you can get a Mac, I think you'd like it better. Good luck.

11. Jul 10, 2014 at 11:30 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Same. Just bought another 2011 macbook pro, nearly identical to the one I bought new in 2010 that's still kicking like a champ. For the $550 I spent, it's not too bad and was a no brainer for me over a similar priced new PC.

12. Jul 11, 2014 at 5:38 AM
    packrobottom

Member:
    First Name:
    Pack
    Vehicle:
    Lol acer. It normally takes a couple times with a shit PC like acer or dell for ppl to realize the value of a mac. Value isn't just upfront cost. Resale value, no issues, no viruses, better operating system, better designed software and hardware, no calling the family tech guru to reinstall windows every six months, better battery life on portables, better support and customer service if you need it. Total cost of ownership matters. This isn't a garlic press. You already lost that couple hundred you saved with the acer because no one will buy that from you when your done with it.

13. Jul 11, 2014 at 7:04 AM
    tomwilson74

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD double cab OR
    I don't buy computers for resale bud. My daughter has a MacBook Pro and she has had issues with it too. They are far from perfect. They freeze up and crash too.

14. Jul 11, 2014 at 7:17 AM
    packrobottom

Member:
    First Name:
    Pack
    Vehicle:
    I already knew you don't buy computers with resale in mind. You just got an acer bud!

All joking aside. Macs are more reliable especially in comparison to acer. You're anecdotal evidence of your daughter not withstanding. Don't take my word for it just look at computer industry rma rates online. You underestimate the resale value of macs on ebay or craigslist tho. It enables you to get your next system for a lot less money. It's very much like our trucks. It's crazy macs that are years and years old still sell for several hundred dollars used. I sold a 2008 pre unibody (not aluminum) macbook pro to a guy for 500 dollars.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Jul 11, 2014 at 7:28 AM
    tomwilson74

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD double cab OR
    Call me paranoid but honestly I don't think I would ever buy a used computer. Mac or PC. Just don't like buying used electronics. I did buy a used camera and that worked out ok. Just a little background on me, I am a Disabled Vet on a pension with a daughter in college. Just can't afford dropping a grand on a Mac right now. My daughter, who knows me well, said I probably wouldn't even like Mac's.

16. Jul 11, 2014 at 7:30 AM
    packrobottom

Member:
    First Name:
    Pack
    Vehicle:
    Same and I have.

Tom I understand your apprehension with buying used electronics it can be a crap shoot. That being said I've never had an issue knock on wood. I completely agree about the money as well I couldn't afford a mac pro right now either as much as I'd like one. At this point I spend like 60 percent of my computing on my iPad air anyway.

17. Jul 11, 2014 at 7:45 AM
    zbaldo

zbaldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ozzy
    Torrance, Ca
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner SR5 4X4
    Stock as Stock can be with duratracs and a roof rack
    I'm sure you've considered this, anything over 14" you're not going to want to lug around all the time. I had a 15" Win. laptop for school, what a pain that was to lug around all the time it sucked until I bought my mac.
    Reasons I went with my mac was battery life, aesthetics, and portability. I also had a pretty good discount on my mac when I bought since best buy had a student discount of $200 and they were already $50 off.
    Anyways test out if the 17" size is too big or not because that will definitely be a deal breaker for me. If you find your computer slow down, drop an SSD in the machine and it will feel like a hot rod of a machine.

I will say this i've been a Windows user my whole life and Win 7 is hands down for me the best OS from windows. There are a few things I miss about windows that you don't get with Mac such as the window snap and being able to maximize a window without going full screen so that you can layer other windows over (dock gets in the way).
    I also miss how you can control individual app volumes like in windows 7. There are also a whole lot less apps to work with on OSX than in windows but you kinda expect that going in.
    I am going to school for Business Administration with a concentration on Information Security and I had always known I would have a sort of disadvantage as I had never fooled around with a Mac before. A fix for the limitation of not having windows is parallels and whatnot and some say you should have just ordered a Win. laptop but for me its not too hard to set up boot camp and having a dual boot machine.

Overall i'm happy with the transition even though I have seen some hiccups with my machine already.
    I hope you enjoy your machine if you decide to stick with it.

18. Jul 11, 2014 at 7:49 AM
    tomwilson74

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD double cab OR
    Battery life is not really an issue, mine is plugged in probably 95% of the time. Weight isn't either, I'm not a student and since I'm a disabled vet, I don't work either. My computer stay right here by the couch or chair unless I'm driving out to Arizona.

19. Jul 11, 2014 at 8:00 AM
    MyriadRocker

MyriadRocker Registered Text Offender

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Baja w/JBL Prem
    See build thread
    Mac vs PC is a constant debate. Years ago, it was a debate. These days, it's all the same. These days it depends what you buy. A PC can be just as good as a Mac or better. A Mac can be just as bad as a PC or better. It depends on the maker of the PC and what bloatware and hardware they put in. If you want something that you don't have to think about, buy a more expensive PC or just get the Mac. If you know what you're doing and looking for, go PC...you'll save bucks.

For me, I'm a PC guy. I also have a Mac Mini in the house. Why? Form factor. I use it to control my living room entertainment. But you know what? It has Windows installed on it. I'm not a fan of the Mac OS. It runs 24x7x365 and has no issues...with Windows.

It's all about hardware. That and stay off the p0rn.

20. Sep 13, 2014 at 5:05 PM
    jonsjeep

jonsjeep New Member

Member:
    This is how I buy a Mac: Every January, Best Buy issues a 10% off of an "open box" item coupon. The open box items are usually returns but are in nearly brand new shape and you can look at them first before buying. I bought my most recent Mac there and saved about 33% off of the price of the same thing brand new.

(I paid about $890 after tax for my 11" MacBook Air)

Either way though, I've used Macs for quite some time and I feel like they are worth the price.

Products Discussed in

To Top