1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

made a neck shot on a doe...didnt kill her?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by GA_TACO4x4, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Dec 18, 2010 at 6:12 PM
    Zulu Six

Zulu Six Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab SR5
    [sarcasm]Obviously! And it was a totally hilarious joke, too![/sarcasm] Just give it up, bro.

So...does this mean you wont "friend" me on Facebook?

Wow, dude.....you do realize that this statement agrees with what I said earlier about the trajectory of the bullet making the point of impact 2-3" lower at 20 yards than it would be at 100 yards? When you disagreed with me and said "it doesn't work like that", were you joking there, too? Hilarious!

I appreciate the refresher on 1/4 MOA adjustments...but what does that have to do with anything? Or are you just bring that up to impress random viewers with your basic knowledge of how a scope works? You know what? Don't answer that. I'm getting bored with pointing out how retarded your statements are. I'm gonna go find other ways to entertain myself. You keep fighting the good fight.

2. Dec 18, 2010 at 6:23 PM
    V-TRAIN

V-TRAIN Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. CACKALACKY
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT LONG BED
    DEMELLO ROCK CRUSHER SLIDERS, PIAA LIGHTS, TSB 4 LEAF PACK, CBI OFFROAD REAR BUMPER LINEXED, CBI OFFROAD FRONT BUMPER LINEXED, REAR 5100's, 1.5" TSB AAL, ICON EXTENDED TRAVEL COILOVERS @ 3", TOTAL CHAOS UCA's, HELLA MICRO DRIVING LIGHTS, IPOD INTERFACE, THULE ROOF RACK, UWS SLIM LINE BLACK TOOL BOX, 17" BBS RD TRUCK WHEELS, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC IN 285/70/17
    2 years ago i tried a 64 yard shot on a doe with a bow. it was the last day of the season and almost dark, so i was like what the hell.
    hit it and it ran like 50 yards and fell down and started flopping around in a cotton field. i had no clue where i hit it. i thought i had pulled a great shot out of my tail, then it stood up. i took my binoculars, and saw i had hit it halfway up the neck. half the arrow was sticking out the other side. i watched that deer walk around like nothing was wrong, and never saw any blood comming from either side of the neck.
    never found the deer, never saw birds looking for it. found the arrow about 70 or 80 yards in the woods where i saw deer go. no blood on arrow, i could not believe it. it happens.

3. Dec 18, 2010 at 6:26 PM
    225nontypical

225nontypical ????????????

Member:
    backwoods
    Vehicle:
    11 tundra DC TRD OffRoad
    bilstein 5100's weather tech floor mats katskinz leather heated seats
    you guys are funny.

for me if i am dead on at 100 yards i am like 40inches high at 20 wait that is with a bow never mind.

by the way i can shoot an 8in 6 arrow group at 80yards top that.

LOL this thread got kind of funny

sorry i had to try to throw a little of my own sarcasm in on this one.

4. Dec 18, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    This thread is full of win! [Dualing Banjos plays in background]

To Zulu, if a rifle is sighted in at 100 yds, it will hit almost exactly at point of aim at 20 yds. The scope is usually about 1.5" above the bore line, not the 2"-3" you stated unless you have some huge-mongous objective on your scope with high bases which I'm guessing this guy didn't. 7mm-08 is a "medium range" hunting rifle. A little 2-7 with a 32 mm objective is more than enough for that gun. At most, I assume he had a 3x9x40mm. A gigantic belled, mil-dot scope (which would sit that high) would be all but ridiculous on that hunting gun.

Any way, back to my point. It would hit at almost exactly point of aim. The line of sight is dead straight, the bullet's trajectory is not. The bullet starts at 1.5" below the line of sight. In the span of 100 yds, the below starts below the line of sight, then goes above it, then comes back down and hits it. The bullet starts low, crosses the line of sight at about 25 yds, gets an inch or two above line of sight at 50 or 60 yds (depending on caliber, bullet weight, etc), and comes back down to point of aim.

This fact is one reason why they recommend you bore sight your rifle at 25 yds. The target is close and easy to center in the bore. When you walk (click) it in to the bullseye at 25 yds, you're ready to shoot at 100 and expect to be reasonably close to bullseye there too.

5. Dec 18, 2010 at 6:43 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    No offense to the OP but I imagine he just made a good old fashioned bad shot. Its alright though, everyone does it at one time or another. Even pros flub shots occasionally.

6. Dec 18, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    You can see in his avatar that he is the bad guy from Tombstone. I'm here Huckleberry.

7. Dec 18, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    AG87BlkLX

AG87BlkLX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Greenbrier, TN
    The first chart was a cut and past fail. I redid it so it is easier to understand.

8. Dec 18, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    AG87BlkLX

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Greenbrier, TN
    noneck180 those are nice looking rifles.

9. Dec 18, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yeah, they are. I'm sensing some serious Tikka love. I have to admit, they are a whole lotta gun for a fair price. I've had a couple. All shot well. Buttery smooth bolts and nice triggers. I never cared for the styling though and the stocks always felt a little flimsy. As I said though, they can shoot.

10. Dec 18, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    AG87BlkLX

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Greenbrier, TN
    Oh about a neck shot. Just let the air out of the animal and be done.

11. Dec 18, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    While were posting pictures. Here's the cow elk I got last month, only tag I drew this year. The rifle is my brand spanking new Winchester M70 Extreme Weather in 270 WSM. A sweet rifle indeed.
    [​IMG]

12. Dec 18, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    She is! But I'm sure you know that. Everybody loves elk. I personally prefer it big time over venison. However, the best is the oryx that we have in the state here. A true delicacy.

13. Dec 18, 2010 at 7:28 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Neither had I until I moved here. Sweet Mother of Jesus its good! I've still got some in the freezer. You probably get caribou. I've never had that. How is it? I was fortunate enough to take a moose in Maine though. It was excellent too. I've heard others say they didn't like moose. Mine was great.

14. Dec 18, 2010 at 9:49 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    My dad shot a huge 4 point in the neck a few years ago. He shot it while it was on the run. Found it the next day, still alive. He had laid in the leaves and they ended up blocking the exit hole. Allowed him to breathe a little better. Got up close to him and he raised up and ended up jumping up and chasing after me. I guess his adrenaline was still pumping and keeping him alive, we shot him 4 more times before he stopped moving. I know, sounds harsh, but we had to do it to take him out of his misery.

15. Dec 18, 2010 at 9:59 PM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    Would the fact that he was shooting from a stand affect the trajectory of the shot?

16. Dec 19, 2010 at 5:33 AM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    while were talking about best meat, im gonna throw my favorite in there. Antelope. Elk is a close second though for me from what i have had

17. Dec 19, 2010 at 5:51 AM
    V-TRAIN

V-TRAIN Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. CACKALACKY
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT LONG BED
    DEMELLO ROCK CRUSHER SLIDERS, PIAA LIGHTS, TSB 4 LEAF PACK, CBI OFFROAD REAR BUMPER LINEXED, CBI OFFROAD FRONT BUMPER LINEXED, REAR 5100's, 1.5" TSB AAL, ICON EXTENDED TRAVEL COILOVERS @ 3", TOTAL CHAOS UCA's, HELLA MICRO DRIVING LIGHTS, IPOD INTERFACE, THULE ROOF RACK, UWS SLIM LINE BLACK TOOL BOX, 17" BBS RD TRUCK WHEELS, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC IN 285/70/17
    yea, i am alot better shot with a bow than hitting one in the neck by mistake. i have alot of experience, and basicly if you sling enough objects at a target (arrows or bullets) , sooner or later one is not going to go where you want. that is what makes it so fun. if you got everything every time, it would not make the recovery nearly as special.

18. Dec 20, 2010 at 6:34 AM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Grasslands antelope (rare)= :hungry:

Sage brush antelope (common)=:puke:

The same is true for deer.

19. Dec 20, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    225nontypical

225nontypical ????????????

Member:
    backwoods
    Vehicle:
    11 tundra DC TRD OffRoad
    bilstein 5100's weather tech floor mats katskinz leather heated seats
    it is ok I guess, I am going crazy not shooting. We are running bobcats friday and I have no idea how I am going to shot one. Left handed maybe, or 22 pistol left handed, or I a going to let my 9 year old daughter shot them.

Gator tail is my favorite meat atleast the one time I had it cooked right. Then grouse, then blacktail deer. I bbq'd some blacktail backstrap last night that I marinated in a jack daniels mix man that was good

20. Dec 20, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    Axis deer = yummy

Products Discussed in