1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

magnaflow for 4cyl?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by cheese7882, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Jan 30, 2010 at 3:50 AM
    cheese7882

cheese7882 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB MT
    I read in the muffler poll that the magnaflow is the better exhaust for the 4cyl. I'm lookin for preformace over sound, so would the magnaflow be the way to go over the flowmaster? If so, what type of magnaflow?

2. Jan 30, 2010 at 7:05 AM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    Go with Dynomax Super Turbo. Sounds great, runs great. I have a sound clip in my build you can listen to.

3. Jan 30, 2010 at 10:17 PM
    Taco505

Taco505 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4cly
    Dule Magnaflow Exhaust dumped behind axle, K&N Air intake, Aftermarket radio with a kicker L5 sub & a shit amp, 18" rims with tires, RHLM, DT header, color matched bumper, oem foglights, 8k hids in headlights and in fogs
    the dynomax is a great muffler too, but i have a magnaflow i forget what size it is i can check it out for you if you want. also im very happy with the sound alot of people seem to love it and i noticed a little bit from it but a muffler wont be a huge power gain.

also if you want to hear mine just let me know ill post a vid so you can hear it.

4. Jan 31, 2010 at 9:12 AM
    cheese7882

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    I would like to hear some sound clips. I plan on getting a new muffler tomorrow. I just fear the ricey sound. Even though it is a 4 banger, I guess theres not a whole lot I can do about it other than keeping it stock.

5. Jan 31, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    Taco505

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4cly
    Dule Magnaflow Exhaust dumped behind axle, K&N Air intake, Aftermarket radio with a kicker L5 sub & a shit amp, 18" rims with tires, RHLM, DT header, color matched bumper, oem foglights, 8k hids in headlights and in fogs
  6. Jan 31, 2010 at 10:49 AM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    x2

7. Jan 31, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    cheese7882

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
  8. Jan 31, 2010 at 3:35 PM
    Taco505

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    08 4cly
    the maganflow? or the dynomax? well either way they are both awesome mufflers!

9. Feb 21, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    disk_55FL

disk_55FL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    disk
    Buckeye
    4X4, 4 cylinder, manual
    Call MagnaFlow @ [FONT=&quot]800-817-3930 ask for someone in tech.

Please post the info....I'm sure others want to know.

I've looked on the 'net and the answers aren't always consi[/FONT][FONT=&quot]stent[/FONT][FONT=&quot] from site to site.

I was looking for a Cat back for the '10 4 banger 4 x 4 with access cab......I e-mailed Planetmagnaflow ...and they responded :

[/FONT]" I can't be sure because Magnaflow hasn't told us that it does. Your best bet is to call Magnaflow and ask them directly."

10. Feb 24, 2010 at 5:28 AM
    thenrie

thenrie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma, SR5, TRD, 2.7L (LEV), 4wd, 5sp m
    Magnaflow cat and cat-back exhaust, AFE Stage 2 cold-air intake system, 2.5" lift via Skyjacker leaf packs, Bilstein 5100s.
    I have a Magnaflow cat and cat-back system. The Magnaflow is a bit louder than I would like, but that's because I'm old.:eek:. As for power increase, it sounds a lot more powerful than stock, I'll guarantee that, but if you were to put it on a dyno, I can also guarantee you wouldn't see an increase over stock until you got up into the rpm range that a 2.7 or 2.4 shouldn't go to.

The biggest disappointment for me was that when my stock cat went bad, I bought a Magnaflow cat as a replacement. When I installed it I found it wouldn't match up to the Magnaflow cat-back system, because they made the exit tube diameter of the cat the exact same diameter as the in-side of the cat-back system! It should have been a slip-fit and bolt-up issue, but I actually had to cut off the part of the cat that is supposed to slip inside the muffler tube flange and just bolt them together flange to flange. You would think that a company like Magnaflow would make their own parts compatible. The fact that I had to modify it to make it fit will void the lifetime warranty on the cat, so if it goes bad, I'm stuck with it.

Regardless, it is a good system and much less expensive than a stock system. As for improved performance...well, it will sound like it runs better, but it will not be measurable. Improved gas mileage? No. You're not going to do better than stock configuration, I don't care what anybody on this forum says. Toyota has spent tons on engineering the Taco to get everything they can out of it. Until they can delete some of the emission controls (it's illegal for you to do so as well), you aren't going to beat their engineering for gas mileage.

In the last analysis, there is nothing you can do to your 4 cyl Tacoma that will pay for itself in gas savings or extra power. That doesn't mean it isn't cool to add-on and modify. We all love to put new gadgets on our Tacos!:)

11. Feb 24, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    captainjakass

captainjakass Member

Member:
    ventura
    Vehicle:
    05 taco prerunner
    stock so far :0
  12. Mar 2, 2010 at 10:00 PM
    One Owner

One Owner Member

Member:
    E. OR
    Vehicle:
    97 Taco XtraCab 4wd
    1.5" Rancho lift, NW Offroad header
    I've gotta respectfully disagree with some of your statements. I'm a big believer in keeping my vehicles as stock as reasonable, staying on top of maintenance, and expecting a VERY long lived pickup. The only "mods" I did to my 2.7 were a K&N air filter, and after my factor plugs wore out at 103K I replaced them with Bosch Platinum +4s (which still look great 64K later BTW). Anyway, I was plagued with a leaky exhaust manifold while the truck was still under warranty, but because I live in the middle of nowhere, I let the warranty lapse before getting the problem looked at. When I finally did get it into the dealer (long story) the noise disappeared for about 2 miles before it returned. I assumed it was a bad gasket, but after having an independent mechanic look at it, I learned it was a cracked manifold. I paid to have it replaced with a new (expensive) manifold and a year later the noise was back. I had it pulled and welded which held for about 25miles (a cheap gamble), then lived with it for a few months before I decided to look to other solutions. I settled on a heavy duty header from Pacific Offroad. Their header is lifetime warrantied, had a heavy flange, and was supposed to give a small performance increase. I'd lost hope in Toyota's ability to engineer a damn chunk of cast iron that would last (which they charge VERY good money for BTW), so I ordered the header and a heavy bronze gasket.

I had a local shop install it, and since the outlet was farther back than the stock manifold, the mechanic had to jockey things around a little. He also told me my factory muffler had a pinhole starting, and wanted to know what I wanted to replace it with. I reserched high flow, low resistance muffler options but couldn't decide, so I had him straight pipe it until I chose a muffler. With only the cat, the system was loud if I accelerated hard. I live in a very rural area, and to noise isn't bad inside the cab so I left it as-is to check the mileage. With 31's, lots of hills, head winds, cheap Oregon fuel, and an average elevation of 4K above sea level, I usually got 18-19.5 when driving 70+mph on the freeway before the header. Slower speeds would allow me to break 20mpg. After the header and straight pipe I could easy attain 24mph with the exact same driving conditions, and 25mpg if I slowed down a little. I could also feel a small but real increase in the low and mid-range torque. Long story short(er) it's been 40K miles and I still haven't chosen a muffler because I'm so happy with my increased mileage. I'm old enough to drive intelligently around town and not draw noise complaints, and out on the freeway it's not really an issue so much.

Anyway I'm happy that Pacific Offroad knows how to engineer an exhaust part that's better on several levels (performance, longevity, and price) than Toyota. Apparently my exhaust manifold problem was fairly rare. If I hadn't been faced with this issue I'd still be using the stock part. I realize this is just a "sample of one", so other's might be skeptical. I won't take offense if you are. Either way, I'm am now much more likely to consider aftermarket manufacturer's claims of performance/mpg increases than I used to. I also don't for a minute believe that the factory parts are the best just because they came from the factory--------even on a Toyota which comes pretty damn close to perfect.

To Top