1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Magnetic Gray/Silver Streak - Scratches/Rock Chips?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by ToyKnife, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Sep 29, 2009 at 10:35 AM
    ToyKnife

ToyKnife [OP] New Member

Member:
    Maybe a crazy inquiry but how do the two colors handle scratches and rock chips? What color shows after a rock chip? Is the primer light or dark in color?

I had a 2003 Silver and used to wash and wax regularly, once every one to two weeks. The paint had rock chips but they would blend into the Silver and they weren’t an eye sore. Is it the same with the new 2005+ Silvers and Gray?

I plan on adding a clear bra over the entire front, lights and rocker panels. Does anyone have experienced problems with doing this? Water trapped under the film and rust occurring? Having the Silver/Gray oxidize/fade and not match up with the paint protected by the film? Etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Sep 29, 2009 at 11:04 AM
    brandob9

brandob9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Long Bed
    Soundproofed cab, beeps purged, bed lights, extra bed tie-downs and TSB springs.
    The ability to hide scratches was the deciding factor between the two colors for me. SSM does well, while the darkness of Mag Grey shows them.

3. Oct 1, 2009 at 3:49 PM
    ToyKnife

ToyKnife [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bump, Not the most interesting topic but I still need a little insight.

4. Oct 1, 2009 at 3:52 PM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    mag grey, like most any dark color, shows everything!
    but it looks so damn good!

5. Oct 1, 2009 at 3:53 PM
    t-com09

t-com09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 single cab 4x4 sr5
    Bilstien 5100's yellow foglights toolbox pop n' lock
    i was between the magnetic grey and silver streak myself when purchasing my 2010. and the paint showing scratches and chips was the determining factor as well. i chose the silver streak and love it :)

6. Oct 1, 2009 at 5:35 PM
    FuzzyTaco

FuzzyTaco Certified Smartass

Member:
    First Name:
    `
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD OR
    Silver is awesome. There's a couple rock chips in my hood, but you don't notice them unless you look hard. Along with dirt, dust, etc. The only downside is the 7 other silver tacomas that park in the employee parking lot at work. :mad:

7. Oct 1, 2009 at 7:45 PM
    spark4

spark4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    09' 4x4 Dbl. Cab TRD Sport
    I have the trd sport magnetic grey and i got a little chip off my bumper and the color underneath is a light primer color, so you will notice if you get chips. I know I have crazy chips on the very bottom where the cab and bed meet. I ran my hand under there one time and it felt very rough.. I never did look to see though and that area is not protected by the clear sheet that they put elsewhere. I figured the mud flaps would protect from rock chips but apparently not. I wouldn't let the primer color be the deciding factor though. I orginally wanted either silver or black and they didnt' have either so I settled for the mag. grey and am so happy that it worked out that way, looks clean for a long time!

To Top