1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Magnuson Supercharger Mega Thread for 16+ Tacoma - Unboxing, Install DIY, Dyno Video

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by androofoo, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Jan 10, 2023 at 8:57 PM
    microsnook

microsnook Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD OR MGM MT
    Damnit. Now I need 5.29s and a SC. It feels so slow here in CO

2. Jan 11, 2023 at 1:25 PM
    ackshen

ackshen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD Sport DCSB 6MT
    Magnuson Supercharged, 6112/5160
    I'm in Golden and drive to / from Eagle County pretty much every weekend. The supercharger and Stryker tune are a complete game changer. We have a light camper (under 2k lbs) and I could barely safely tow it to places in the mountains to go camping prior to the supercharger (and I'm a MT just like you). Yes the investment for the supercharger and tune is large, but it's completely changed the truck. The gearing with the manual is such that I don't feel a need at all to regear (though I'm not running big tires). There's plenty of power and I find myself regularly cruising up to the mountains in 5th / 6th gear on all but the steepest sections of i70 (like georgetown hill, and eastbound to the tunnel) whereas before I'd need to hit 3rd gear at times. Mileage is also pretty much unchanged - I average around 17 on a tank, if it's all interstate, closer to 18-19.

3. Jan 11, 2023 at 1:44 PM
    microsnook

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD OR MGM MT
    Wow that’s awesome man. I’m surprised at the MPG…. I’m about the same. On 33s and heavy front bumper and stuff though.

Who installed your SC for you?

I’m debating whether I should do regear or SC and which first….
    Thanks

4. Jan 11, 2023 at 1:50 PM
    ackshen

Member:
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    I used RSG Offroad. My install has been fine, I don't think they're the most meticulous shop in the world (not sure who is; there are limited install options, and the dealer is prohibitively expensive) - if you have the mechanical ability, you might consider giving it a shot yourself. I think you should SC and then determine whether or not you need to regear; the ratios in the manual are pretty good as-is IMO. I have no plans to change gearing.

5. Jan 11, 2023 at 1:55 PM
    microsnook

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD OR MGM MT
    Are they based out of Denver area?
    I’ve been going to Slee and they are great. Not sure if they do SC or not but can’t imagine they would turn me down.

I currently have the OV tune and it’s good. Would that work with the SC or I need another tune on top of that?

the gearing isn’t bad when I had 265s but with 285s even in low range I can notice the lack of power off roading. It makes it more difficult in the manual. I’d love some 5.29s. And gearing would be cheaper off the bat. Half the cost or less maybe

6. Jan 11, 2023 at 2:00 PM
    ackshen

Member:
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    RSG is on West Colfax. Slee is awesome. I live super close to them. They are not a Magnuson certified installer, but you could see if they'd do it. The warranty, IIRC, is 3 years if installed by a certified installer, and 1 year otherwise. The supercharger kit comes with the Magnuson tune. You wouldn't be able to use OV tune any more. The Magnuson tune leaves a lot to be desired. After a few months of it I began exploring alternatives as it's pretty underwhelming for how good the hardware is. I settled on the YotaWerx Stryker tune and have been extremely happy with it.

7. Jan 11, 2023 at 2:08 PM
    microsnook

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD OR MGM MT
    thanks for that info.

can you PM me the cost of the install and everything?

where’d you end up getting the Stryker tune?

appreciate the help man. Cheers

8. Jan 11, 2023 at 2:49 PM
    Shellshock

Shellshock King Shit of Turd Island

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD PRO / 2024 GRC Circuit
    Message @mZiggy with yotawerx for the Stryker tune

9. Jan 11, 2023 at 2:59 PM
    medicfung

medicfung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    richie
    Vehicle:
    2019 DC TRD OFFROAD 4x4 6ft bed quicksand
    If anyone is looking to get a Toyota dealer who is a certified magnuson installer the one i went to in Oxnard California will do it for $1550. Took them 4 days to do it, and they probably could have done it in 3 if you tell them to order the tune from magnuson right away or buy the yotawerx tune and have them install that instead.

10. Jan 11, 2023 at 3:01 PM
    WaitingOnMyR1T

WaitingOnMyR1T No longer waiting…

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2020 White TRD Pro - Magnuson S/C & Rivian R1S
    Wouldn’t them installing the Yotawerx tune void the warranty on the Magnuson?

11. Jan 11, 2023 at 3:05 PM
    medicfung

medicfung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    richie
    Vehicle:
    2019 DC TRD OFFROAD 4x4 6ft bed quicksand
    Im sure.
    Prob want to do that on your own to keep the warranty

My truck is perfect with the SC and tune. Wouldnt trade it for any other truck out right now. Ok maybe a LC70

12. Jan 11, 2023 at 3:56 PM
    mZiggy

mZiggy Honey badger; VFPro licensed; YotaWerx Tuning

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra SR5; 2020 4R TRD Pro; 2008 4R SR5 v8
    For Colorado, Runnin4tacos installs Magnuson superchargers and is also a YotaWerx networked tuner, if you didn't want to install the SC and/or tune yourself.

13. Jan 12, 2023 at 7:34 AM
    GoldenBrew

GoldenBrew Insufficient Privilege

Member:
    Golden, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Gen3 4X4 TRD OR AT DCSB, SC YotaWerx, 4.88's
    I did my own install and it is very doable if you have tools, time and skill. Like @ackshen said there are a few places here in town that do installs. I am not a fan of RSG or there work, but they have not touched my truck so...... take that for what it is worth. I'm not sure if Brian aka @thefatkid does installs or not but he is a Toyota Master Tech (previously Groove) who now works at Toy Automotive (Littleton off C470/KenCaryl) and they may do them - give them a call. And as others have said get with Marc aka @mZiggy and YotaWerx for the Tune - you won't be disappointed. Considering R4T is a YotaWerx vendor and does installs that would be an excellent choice. GL.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
  14. Jan 13, 2023 at 8:27 AM
    blackhwk27

blackhwk27 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB MT
    Magnuson S/C w/ OTT
    Finally getting around to posting after my Magnuson install. A buddy and I did it in my garage in about 12 hours. The directions are solid and everything went pretty well - the only minor hiccup was needing to run out and get a Dewalt XR Impact Gun in order to get the pulley bolt out, as my air impact didn't have the torque for the job.

I did have a check engine light after doing all the leak check runs. Turns out the IAT sensor had failed. Magnuson was great with the warranty request and sent me a new IAT harness and sensor - was a quick replacement and that took care of the problem.

20230101_145607.jpg

I decided to go with OTT for the aftermarket tune. It only takes a small amount of driving the truck with the Magnuson calibration to feel it's severely lacking and that the S/C is capable of so much more.

The OTT tune has been fantastic. John from OTT was great to work with and even sent me 3 tunes, so I can load a more aggressive tune or keep it a little more mild. I ultimately went with the middle of the road one which has been perfect. Great low end torque, superb and smooth power deliver from the S/C and greatly improved throttle response. I used to feel like it was painful to rev the truck above 3k rpm - now it feels like it wants nothing else. John also had me take some logs after first loading the tune and he verified everything looked good - was nice to have that piece of mind.

Like many have said with any of the aftermarket tunes - it is truly a whole new truck. My truck is a MT and with this tune and S/C its far easier to take off in second gear as the improved low end torque gets the truck moving much quicker and then suddenly the S/C kicks in and off you go! I would often skip a gear when accelerating when normally aspirated - now I find myself skipping two or even going from second gear to sixth because I'm already doing 60+. It's a hoot!

I don't need to downshift on hills nearly as often. Even at speeds of 45mph in fifth gear going uphill, I'd sometimes have to go down to 4th or accelerate a few mph above 45 to maintain speed up the hill - not anymore. RPM is pretty lower at that gear and speed and the tune and S/C have greatly improved that.

My fuel mileage has been surprisingly good. I did an hour+ drive not too long ago on 55mph roads and got over 20mpg (stock suspension and wheels). That MPG seemed pretty much on par with the same trip normally aspirated. My commute to work is 9 miles and is a mix of city/highway. I'd say I get similar fuel mileage compared to before the S/C and tune - it might suffer a mpg or two only because it's just too much fun to rev the truck up.

It took me awhile to commit to the S/C, I had budgeted for it and debated for a couple years whether it'd be worth the cost. I'm very glad I decided to pull the trigger. What really helped push me over the edge and finally purchase it was the aftermarket tuning and what the future will bring with smaller pulleys and fuel upgrades.

I'm definitely looking forward to pulling my Geo Pro camper with the truck this spring.

- Jeremy

15. Jan 13, 2023 at 8:44 AM
    Sig Taco

Sig Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Taco DCSB
    Icon Rebounds 17x8.5 Toyo 35/12.5/17 JBA UCA, Bilstein 6112/5160, KDMax
    Would love to see a 1/4mi time as well. I ran 15.2/92mph stock. 400hp should do close to 14 flat. A stock f150 can run 14 flat and thats a 1/2 ton.

16. Jan 13, 2023 at 3:35 PM
    devinzz1

devinzz1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    devin
    lewisporte Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    95 extended cab sr5
    cxr turbo, fic6, methanol injection, king coilovers, jba uca, skyjacker leafs, rear 12" 5125s, no-slip rear locker, 35" grabber x3, magnaflow muffler, retrofit headlights, trans cooler, bed lined exterior, etc...
    comparable sized reg cabs are getting mid and low 13s bone stock now. those things are little sleepers. i was so close to buying one over my new tacoma but the manual trans sold it. unfortunately after driving my turbod 1st gen this thing feels like an absolute turd ahaha.

17. Jan 13, 2023 at 9:03 PM
    microsnook

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD OR MGM MT
    Can you elaborate on why you’re not a fan of them or their work?
    They seem very responsive with communication and sent me a fair estimate.
    Although I forgot about the tune - if R4T can do that as well that would probably be the most convenient.
    I’ve done a lot to my truck but would prefer someone more skilled to do the installation for me. thanks for all the feedback

18. Jan 14, 2023 at 7:38 AM
    GoldenBrew

GoldenBrew Insufficient Privilege

Member:
    Golden, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Gen3 4X4 TRD OR AT DCSB, SC YotaWerx, 4.88's

they simply did not meet my expectations or impress me to the point of letting them work on my truck. It is not difficult work, and I am simply a perfectionist.

19. Jan 14, 2023 at 9:52 AM
    scramer23

scramer23 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma OR
    What do you need to do/have for the tuner flash?

20. Jan 14, 2023 at 9:57 AM
    blackhwk27

blackhwk27 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB MT
    Magnuson S/C w/ OTT
    The Magnuson Supercharger kit comes with the VF Tuner, so all you need is a laptop to connect it to and to download the VF tuner program along with the calibration file you use (whether that's the Magnson supplied tune or an aftermarket one).

scramer23[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top