1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Magnuson Supercharger Mega Thread for 16+ Tacoma - Unboxing, Install DIY, Dyno Video

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by androofoo, Nov 7, 2020.

1. May 3, 2021 at 11:48 AM
    MGMSangTaco

MGMSangTaco Colorado Toyota Tuning

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR MGM DCLB
    I got mine about 2 weeks ago and already installed it. Initial impression is that it feels great around town, but highway driving is absolutely garbage again (coming from the KDMax tune that felt incredible).

I think there's a ton of potential, but it's upsetting they only will send locked tunes. I even told them they could void my warranty if they would send me a tune I can change to my liking. Does anyone know any tuners knowledge about SC's on 3rd gens or specializing in Magnuson tuning specifically? The shop near me that I use a bunch (RSG) told me they were in the same boat with their 4Runner that they V8 Tundra swapped. They said there's someone in Canada who apparently knows a ton but need to follow up with them about it. I do want to throw on a smaller pulley etc. Or maybe I just take it to a dyno and try to create my own tune but I'd prefer to not blow anything up, lol.

And yes, I did take the restrictor off which made a big difference, but my transmission once again feels like someone who just got their license and is attempting to drive a manual is driving it. I wish they were a bit more open to collaboration or something. They told me they'd made edits with my previous AGM settings to up the alternator output and just flat out didn't. At this point the $250-$350 spent on a tune is sadly better than the 6.5k the Supercharger costs. Has anyone else expressed to them their frustration with the tune?

2. May 3, 2021 at 12:11 PM
    a2lowvw

a2lowvw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bothell, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB Limited
    Stuff and things
    Bummer. I didn’t want to spend the money on a tune since I already ordered the S/C kit. Hopefully someone builds a tune with the shifting dynamics built into it, I’m sure it’s just a matter of time.

MGMSangTaco likes this.
  3. May 3, 2021 at 12:17 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    Problem solved.

PXL_20210420_144107745.MP.jpg

Murd3rd and virginiamarine like this.
  4. May 3, 2021 at 12:26 PM
    MGMSangTaco

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR MGM DCLB
    If only they made a DCLB with a manual. Personally I'd rather have a 6' bed than a manual, and the annoying part was that the problem was solved with a tune using the same software Magnuson is using (but with an improved tune), but Magnuson isn't doing anything to improve it (as far as I know)...

reymataco and Silentshredr like this.
  5. May 3, 2021 at 12:27 PM
    PapaRee

PapaRee Pro Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD Sport, Tuned, BHLM OEM LEDs
    GTS Dobinson's lift-2.75", 33"-Wildpeak Atw3-18x9 -6 Offset ,265/70/18 tires, Raceline Assault wheels, Backflip G2 bed cover, Magnaflow exhaust, Pro tail lights, Pro fog lights, Pro grille, Raptor grille lights, Predator side steps, RedLine Hood Struts, Toyota bedmat, tinted windows, Retrofitted-BHLM-Amber Halo-Amber DRL-HID headlights, LED Highbeams, LED Hood Scoop lightbar, LED hidden bumper lightbar, LED under hood light, LED Bed lights, LED license plate lights, Tacoma tailgate 3d letters, Tacoma glovebox 3D letters, removed air dam, Custom TRD Sport emblems, Pro Shift Knob with Meso ECT Stealth button, Meso LED dome and map lights, Meso V3 smoked mirror turn signals, Meso Stage 2 Tail lights, Meso Mirror Puddle lights, Meso KC-5 Brake/Cargo light, Meso center console bucket with OG lid, Tailgate PNP kit, Garage door opener button in overhead console, Meso Minimalist keyfobs, Matte black Pro hood decal, KTJO4x4 Led door handle LED lights, Pioneer 6x9 3 way front speakers, Rockford Fosgate 6.75' rear speakers, TacoTunes tweeters, AJT black vent rings, JDM Gas cap cover.
    I emailed them weeks ago to see if they were interested in collaborating, never got a response.
    I just emailed them again.
    Adam, feel free to give them my info. I would love to help.
    I just can't make a tune without their collaboration.

Skydvrr, TWTaco, a2lowvw and 2 others like this.
  6. May 3, 2021 at 12:29 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    Access cab - no one ever wants to take your truck for lunch after the first ride.

Shellshock likes this.
  7. May 3, 2021 at 12:30 PM
    a2lowvw

a2lowvw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bothell, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB Limited
    Stuff and things
    I will be doing this once my kit is installed

PapaRee[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. May 3, 2021 at 1:18 PM
    RushT

RushT Amateur Everythingist

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB TRDOR Inferno
    I think the challenge is them actively working to support tunes with a CARB certificate item. I could be wrong. :)

There’s also their reputation and reliability to consider. The more we *amp up*, the more stuff breaks, even if the occurrences are limited.

9. May 3, 2021 at 2:37 PM
    GoldenBrew

GoldenBrew Insufficient Privilege

Member:
    Golden, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Gen3 4X4 TRD OR AT DCSB, SC YotaWerx, 4.88's

any thought about looking into the parameters HP Tuner used for the Gen2 Magnuson and using them as a base for developing a Gen3 tune with shifting logic from .vft ? I would hope the Gen2 Performance thread has a few individual with a kick ass tune that could provide a trove of insight. ??

10. May 3, 2021 at 2:50 PM
    PapaRee

PapaRee Pro Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD Sport, Tuned, BHLM OEM LEDs
    GTS Dobinson's lift-2.75", 33"-Wildpeak Atw3-18x9 -6 Offset ,265/70/18 tires, Raceline Assault wheels, Backflip G2 bed cover, Magnaflow exhaust, Pro tail lights, Pro fog lights, Pro grille, Raptor grille lights, Predator side steps, RedLine Hood Struts, Toyota bedmat, tinted windows, Retrofitted-BHLM-Amber Halo-Amber DRL-HID headlights, LED Highbeams, LED Hood Scoop lightbar, LED hidden bumper lightbar, LED under hood light, LED Bed lights, LED license plate lights, Tacoma tailgate 3d letters, Tacoma glovebox 3D letters, removed air dam, Custom TRD Sport emblems, Pro Shift Knob with Meso ECT Stealth button, Meso LED dome and map lights, Meso V3 smoked mirror turn signals, Meso Stage 2 Tail lights, Meso Mirror Puddle lights, Meso KC-5 Brake/Cargo light, Meso center console bucket with OG lid, Tailgate PNP kit, Garage door opener button in overhead console, Meso Minimalist keyfobs, Matte black Pro hood decal, KTJO4x4 Led door handle LED lights, Pioneer 6x9 3 way front speakers, Rockford Fosgate 6.75' rear speakers, TacoTunes tweeters, AJT black vent rings, JDM Gas cap cover.
    I am just not that sure that a 2nd gen (with no atkinson cycle) tune and a 3rd gen tune would be the same. I am just not experienced in tuning Boosted vehicles.
    I figured out how to get the N/A truck running better and stronger, but would not want to experiment on a boosted vehicle--especially since I personally don't have one to test on. I did reach out to Mat to see if he had a base SC tune that I could start with, but have not heard back (been a few weeks).

11. May 3, 2021 at 3:00 PM
    GoldenBrew

Member:
    Golden, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    although Mat has released a few SC units (five I think) I am not aware of any of the owners having received their SC Tune. A recent posts on the SC/Twin Snail thread indicated a SC sitting in the box and no tune to go with it. Mat indicated he was working on it. If URD/Gadget and ProCharger have their SC units out for release they must have a tune - If Mat is the only one who has cracked the Gen3 ECU they must be using his .vft software. I have not seen anything from owners of these units to verify tune software either. Very frustrating. I am not looking for more boost - just a .vft shifting logic. ??? wonder if we could log existing Magnuson Tune and map it into a .vft tune with the proper shifting logic?

12. May 3, 2021 at 3:05 PM
    OVTune

OVTune Well-Known Member

Member:
    OVTune
    The logic behind the older taco ECU is nothing at all like the 3.5. Literally 0% translatable between the two.
    Not to mention toyota created the calibrations through TRD with access to OEM tools to rewrite the logic.

So the 4.0L Tacoma starts off from factory with a boost tune.

PapaRee and GoldenBrew[QUOTED] like this.
  13. May 3, 2021 at 3:11 PM
    GoldenBrew

Member:
    Golden, Colorado
    Vehicle:

My Highway experience is fine - it is the local driving/shifting in D mode that is goofy - so now when driving local I just pull it over to S mode and do the shifting as I want. It is obvious that Magnuson did not use 2.0 .vft shifting logic. Frustrating.

14. May 3, 2021 at 3:16 PM
    SweatyBiscuit

SweatyBiscuit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Northern AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 Taco TRD OR
    Katzkin leather, heated seats, Popnloc, bed lights, remote start, bhlm....
    [QUOTE="I am not looking for more boost - just a .vft shifting logic. ??? wonder if we could log existing Magnuson Tune and map it into a .vft tune with the proper shifting logic?[/QUOTE]

This^^
    The turbo setup is too complicated/too much work. More things/parts to go wrong. I want the transmission logic and ability for AGM, but I want the Eaton supercharger. I really just want decent freeway driveability with all my gear.

reymataco likes this.
  15. May 3, 2021 at 3:23 PM
    GoldenBrew

Member:
    Golden, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Mat for the explanation and clarification. I hope Magnuson will learn to use your .vft software and apply it to fix the shifting logic. Not sure why they are so slow in this undertaking. Patience I guess is the key. Take care and hope you fully recover and are able to manage your health.

MGMSangTaco and PapaRee like this.
  16. May 3, 2021 at 3:28 PM
    OVTune

OVTune Well-Known Member

Member:
    OVTune
    probably waiting for our TCU simplification patch. (just a guess, don't know).

Tuning the transmissions stock tables is a tedious nightmare. Our upcoming TCU patch scraps all that junk in favor of simpler logic.

17. May 3, 2021 at 3:28 PM
    Mike O

Mike O Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR MGM Access Premium LB
    Mobtown Sliders, SSO Slimline bumper, Baja Amber lightbar & fogs, Sumo bump stops
    How did that work with the 4.0 TRD kits purchased/applied post initial purchase? I mean, how did they deliver a non-boosted truck with a boost tune? I suspect I don't understand what you meant to say.

18. May 3, 2021 at 4:42 PM
    MGMSangTaco

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR MGM DCLB
    Matt, do you have any information about trying to make this Magnuson fun or worth it? Or using some of your tune logic from 2.0 to incorporate this? I know you're extremely knowledgeable on the subject but seems like you're hesitant to divulge anything. I'm happy to upgrade to the pro tuner- would that provide support on this? Or are you potentially considering making your own? I'd gladly pay $500 for one single 3rd gen specific editable SC tune and know many would.... I really don't want to have to track down this guy in Canada who supposedly is knowledgable about tuning Magnuson's, or pull it off and sell it so some other person can be underwhelmed by the performance.

I really don't want to go the tune it myself route cause I can't really afford a blown engine but I am pretty upset spending 6.5k on a SC and it feeling worse than your tune with no SC (which isn't on you and is currently on Magnuson). I can feel the potential power is there but as someone who flashed my truck multiple times a week for months I can tell they pulled a stock 3rd Gen file to edit and it's absolutely garbage. Such is life but if there's potential for it to grow then that would be awesome.

TLDR; guhhhhh

Interesting that you feel this way, I trust you and your opinion based on the amount of PMs we've had over the years, but have to disagree. Matt's 2.0 put a big fat smile on my face, @PapaRee put a bigger smile on my face, and now with the SC I don't know how to feel. It's nice below 55 then it feels like a turd gen again. It can't decide what gear to be in, which isn't a feeling I've had in a long time (before I tuned it the first time). I'm assuming if they have enough people contacting them with their disappointment and bad reviews they will take the time to listen to customers and make something not using the shit stock mapping that made everyone love vftune in the first place.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  19. May 3, 2021 at 4:56 PM
    OVTune

OVTune Well-Known Member

Member:
    OVTune

VF Tuner will soon have Forced induction calibration guides available, however some of the patched maps are only available on Pro tuner.

We will not be making a tune for the magnuson SC. Instead we will provide documented guides on how you could make your own tune.

20. May 3, 2021 at 5:04 PM
    MGMSangTaco

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR MGM DCLB
    Heres the email that Magnuson sent me about changes they make-

"Adam,

In order to get the file we base our calibration off of I believe you have to purchase the Pro software from OV. We make a lot of changes but the main areas are timing, AFR and air load tables.

When your kits comes in and you submit your calibration request just email me so I can make sure the battery changes make it into your file.

Thank you,
    Ryan Martin"

A) This is just false and shows how much they know about the process
    and B) They didn't even include the AGM changes to my file after sending this. IMO if I spend 6.5k plus on something I expect to be listened to and the customer service to be good. So far it's shit. If you're reading this get VfTune, KDMax, or Procharger. I went Magnuson cause of their reputation but it's currently a joke.

KDMax is currently the best option on the market. Now I'm sitting here with my d*** in my hand 6.5k later when it could be one $350 purchase. Change my mind.

Products Discussed in

To Top