1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Magnuson Supercharger Mega Thread for 16+ Tacoma - Unboxing, Install DIY, Dyno Video

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by androofoo, Nov 7, 2020.

1. May 3, 2021 at 5:06 PM
    OVTune

OVTune Well-Known Member

Member:
    OVTune

You have to think of it from the dealers side. Magnuson is providing an off the shelf ready to install FI kit. That's what it is.

MGMSangTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. May 3, 2021 at 5:11 PM
    MGMSangTaco

MGMSangTaco Colorado Toyota Tuning

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR MGM DCLB
    And that's fine, I understand your point. Should I have just went with your turbo's? Maybe, and I've been following that thread since the first post. But I know there is untapped potential in this SC. I would be so fucking stoked if you got on board trying to get it to where it should be and really hope I don't have to give some dude in Canada my money to get it there.

Also A) if they say they can accommodate a request they should follow through
    and B) I can't believe they actually took the stock mapping and thought people would be happy. I want to hold back on the shit talk after spending 6.5 grand but at this point I can't... The tune is garbage and OvTune 2.0 and KDMax honestly blow it out of the water. The whine is nice without the restrictor... but it is what it is

3. May 3, 2021 at 5:13 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    KDMax produces far less peak power and 50% less torque. There is no comparison in power output between a tuned NA motor and one with the supercharger. Driveability might be worse without the transmission shift point tuning but that's a different problem.

4. May 3, 2021 at 5:14 PM
    OVTune

OVTune Well-Known Member

Member:
    OVTune
    All I can say is wait and see. We have some things in store. But we aren't going to be offering tunes directly.

5. May 3, 2021 at 5:15 PM
    MGMSangTaco

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR MGM DCLB
    Ok, that's fine for all intensive purposes on a dyno- I would argue there is a comparison though because it felt 1000x better with KDMax than with the SC (not only driveability but also power delivery). 2.0 even felt way better, call BS on me if you want. Sure, I feel the power lower down (definitely doesn't feel like 50% more) but the stock 3rd gen tune is garbage and anyone that knows anything knows it. The primary reason people want to customize performance is for the shifting logic which is atrocious stock and why I have an LLC now. Again, like I said I can tell the potential is there. It's just using an absolutely garbage tune, and I wish I knew more about tuning FI.

And that is what I was looking for. If I have to buy it from Matt2 or OvTune10 I will. Take my money

The first person to market with this is going to make a killing. If that's any inspiration for you to get it done. Fact of the matter is if someone wants to do their own thing with it I don't think they should be sending locked tunes. Especially if people are willing to void their warranty for it....

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  6. May 3, 2021 at 5:38 PM
    OpelGT

OpelGT hOPELess Power

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR Tacoma MT, Magnuson Supercharged
    You are the first person in a good while to complain about the performance. Check and make sure you are getting around 7psi of boost. You may have a boost leak somewhere.

Stupid question but are you using the gas pedal enough? The 3.5 especially with the SC wants near wide open throttle for any performance. It’s just how the engine is. I come from low HP high revving car backgrounds where it’s full throttle or no throttle unless you are holding a steady speed. Driving that way I’ve always been happy with the 3.5L and it’s even better now with the SC. But most truck guys don’t use the skinny pedal that much and it takes a decent bit of throttle to open the vacuum bypass.

3rd party tunes will eventually be available but it’s going to take a couple years likely. The right people have to buy a magnuson SC and make the tunes.

7. May 3, 2021 at 5:48 PM
    MGMSangTaco

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR MGM DCLB
    I appreciate your response, it's level headed and thought out.

I admit I am from Boston and I'm the first person to speak my mind always. But yes, I am pretty pissed off with the SC. I am WOT pretty much anywhere. Again like I said it feels nice around town and less then 50mph. No leak a big shop (who's an authorized Magnuson installer and could do them in their sleep) did the install and also said most people that are somewhat experienced tuners/have a custom tune don't actually enjoy the SC in 3rd gens, I said whatever install it anyways. And yes I know most people don't complain about it, but how many were actually actively tuning before it? I am in this thread way back asking about reactions etc.

Again, I think there is huge potential here. But it's a conservative tune, and the fact that it's locked after paying 6.5k is annoying. If I tell them they can void my warranty why not let me change stuff? And if they tell me they'll change stuff for me why didn't they do it? It's frustrating.

reymataco and OpelGT[QUOTED] like this.
  8. May 3, 2021 at 6:22 PM
    GoldenBrew

GoldenBrew Insufficient Privilege

Member:
    Golden, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Gen3 4X4 TRD OR AT DCSB, SC YotaWerx, 4.88's
    Understand your disappointment - I have that with the local road driving which the S drive takes care of. I can't go WOT in S or D because it simply takes me way past the speed limit - local or highway. It took my truck about 1000 miles of SC driving to level out - and still the local street driving is wonky. It does take more skinny pedal to get it to move in D and just a little more to make it want to continue to shift - if you let off it does the old Toyota OEM stall shift. Takes some getting use to and yes it is a pisser = use S mode. I'm 100% with you that there is a solution and Magnuson needs to get off their ass and use the .vft software to its fullest extent and fix the Toyota OEM lame ass shifting logic. I will certainly let Ryan at Magnuson know they have failed when it comes to shifting logic. Hopefully they will get with Mat and truly apply the knowledge he has to offer them. LMK if there is anything I can do to assist you in finding a solution.

Skydvrr, o313 and MGMSangTaco[QUOTED] like this.
  9. May 3, 2021 at 6:23 PM
    Jason J

Jason J Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma 4x4
    This will be a question for Matt. Is the transmission control (shifting) part of the locked ECU tune or is it controlled separately?

10. May 3, 2021 at 6:27 PM
    RushT

RushT Amateur Everythingist

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB TRDOR Inferno
    Crowder Much??? :annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:

That's gotta be frustrating to feel that a $350 tune is getting you what a $6500 kit promised.

I'm watching this thread closely to see how the tuning matures. I have the Maggy on my roadmap, but also occasionally check on Harrop.

11. May 3, 2021 at 6:37 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    I think the problem you're feeling is the lack of transmission tuning which has been a problem with the 3rd gen since it was released and the reason I would never own one with an auto. I don't notice that with the manual. Judging from dynos of before/after it's a 100 ft/lb more torque starting at about 2500 rpm and stays that way. For me it is definitely noticeable, especially with downshifting one gear to put the truck back in the midrange powerband.

12. May 3, 2021 at 6:48 PM
    Heavy Dupree

Heavy Dupree Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Sport AT Access Cab VooDoo Blue
    3" lift, 285/70r17, 4.88, Bilstein 5100s, Icon UCAs, Ripp coil packs, Afe catted downpipes, URD Spec-U w/dual exhaust.
    www.ColoradoToyotaTuning.com

Do you receive any compensation for uploading tune files into other people's trucks? One could say that by creating an argument against purchasing one product, while promoting another which could benefit your business, there exists the potential for a conflict of interest.

13. May 3, 2021 at 7:00 PM
    MGMSangTaco

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR MGM DCLB

I just started the LLC actually (last Friday). But for the record I am all for trying to find the best possible performance for the third gen, and actually my first goal was to make enough to afford this magnuson SC. I am not trying to increase any sales or anything of my own I am just frustrated with this SC and the 6.5k I spent on it. Look at my post history in this thread, I have been following since its inception and before I was tuning. So “one could say” would be wrong.

If I wanted to promote my business I’d do it in my thread or elsewhere, and frankly I don’t really need to. And for the record I’m Not the creator of KDMax either. That’s why I’m asking if there are potentially ways we can unleash the potential of how good this SC could feel in the future. Plus i’m salty their customer service said one thing and did another. My sweet AGM deserves better. And so do all of us who spent this money on a badass supercharger with a subpar tune.

tldr; supercharger nice. Tune needs improvement

AB210D28-FA93-4C11-9522-07C37ACDEFE3.jpg

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  14. May 3, 2021 at 8:40 PM
    o313

o313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    N
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB AT SC
    Massholes, its a thing

blackhwk27, Mike O and MGMSangTaco like this.
  15. May 3, 2021 at 9:14 PM
    OpelGT

OpelGT hOPELess Power

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Hmm. I haven’t driven an auto tacoma in a long time so that’s probably the big difference. I hope they get it all fixed up in the version 8 tune we are all waiting for. The only other piece of advice I have is reset and clear the computer and try again. It took my taco a solid 250 miles+ to really wake up after flashing version 7 and version 6 was way worse.

there are tuning shops out there that can tune the 3rd gen magnuson. One in Arizona that's done a couple. And one other guy in my YouTube comments got a dyno tune too and gained some power.

You might ask magnuson if they have a magnuson sponsored dyno shop near you.

virginiamarine likes this.
  16. May 3, 2021 at 9:25 PM
    PapaRee

PapaRee Pro Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD Sport, Tuned, BHLM OEM LEDs
    GTS Dobinson's lift-2.75", 33"-Wildpeak Atw3-18x9 -6 Offset ,265/70/18 tires, Raceline Assault wheels, Backflip G2 bed cover, Magnaflow exhaust, Pro tail lights, Pro fog lights, Pro grille, Raptor grille lights, Predator side steps, RedLine Hood Struts, Toyota bedmat, tinted windows, Retrofitted-BHLM-Amber Halo-Amber DRL-HID headlights, LED Highbeams, LED Hood Scoop lightbar, LED hidden bumper lightbar, LED under hood light, LED Bed lights, LED license plate lights, Tacoma tailgate 3d letters, Tacoma glovebox 3D letters, removed air dam, Custom TRD Sport emblems, Pro Shift Knob with Meso ECT Stealth button, Meso LED dome and map lights, Meso V3 smoked mirror turn signals, Meso Stage 2 Tail lights, Meso Mirror Puddle lights, Meso KC-5 Brake/Cargo light, Meso center console bucket with OG lid, Tailgate PNP kit, Garage door opener button in overhead console, Meso Minimalist keyfobs, Matte black Pro hood decal, KTJO4x4 Led door handle LED lights, Pioneer 6x9 3 way front speakers, Rockford Fosgate 6.75' rear speakers, TacoTunes tweeters, AJT black vent rings, JDM Gas cap cover.
    I have no dog in this fight, but I think what Adam @MGMSangTaco is trying to say is--he does not doubt the tune is good for HP and torque, the problem is DRIVABILITY.
    The stock Toyota tune has terrible drivability--upshifting, downshifting, throttle, Cruise control, etc.
    What he wants is for Magnusson to allow him or someone to give them a better base tune to add their SuperCharger ignition, AFR, etc. settings to.
    A Dyno tune will not help Drivability like a good base tune will. A Dyno tune will increase power and torque.
    Them using the Stock tune as a base is the problem.
    Adam @MGMSangTaco correct me if I am wrong.

o313, TWTaco, Skydvrr and 1 other person like this.
  17. May 3, 2021 at 10:11 PM
    MGMSangTaco

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR MGM DCLB
    No you're right on the money. It would also be fun to get 350+ rwhp out of it down the road with a smaller pulley etc (and I know Matt said that'd likely require fueling upgrades) but drivability would definitely be a start.

I will say it really does have some power and zip down low at lower speeds WOT for sure. But again, the stock tune's transmission is just completely all over the place. It's more indecisive shifting on the highway than when I ask my girlfriend where she wants to go out to eat.

18. May 3, 2021 at 11:51 PM
    KanPanic

KanPanic Rock Stacker

Member:
    State of Jefferson
    Vehicle:
    2018 OR
    Pull the SC and send it to me! Actually I’ll be in town in a few week. I can swing by so you don’t have to mess with shipping.

Mike O, Shellshock and GoldenBrew like this.
  19. May 4, 2021 at 7:00 AM
    OpelGT

OpelGT hOPELess Power

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    A good dyno tune will increase drivability too. Every shop I've gone to gets a max power run then we adjust everything to make it smooth.

putting the restrictor back in will smooth the transition between boost and no boost. That won’t fix the shifting but it will help with cruise control.

20. May 5, 2021 at 12:22 PM
    a2lowvw

a2lowvw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bothell, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB Limited
    Stuff and things
    Just got a file back for my kit. It’s a V7 file, got it about 20 minutes after being requested.

GoldenBrew likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top