1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Maine

Discussion in 'North East' started by BSP4x4, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Nov 21, 2019 at 4:59 PM
    gsubioguy

gsubioguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD OR
    Just got my service records out and I payed Lee in Topsham $344 for oil, TC and both diffs. and tire rotation--INCORRECTLY thought the rotation was included in oil change or at least done with the 50k service, nope. $25 for that. Two lessons from that: A) won't be having them do that again and B) I needed a taller floor jack--the one I used on my 1st gen Tacoma is too short.

2. Nov 21, 2019 at 7:22 PM
    Scott17818

Scott17818 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Midcoast Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB OR
    methodMR305NV, 265/70/17duratracs, ARB RTT, DITCH Lights
    it works well, however it does pose a slight bed access issue... looking to get a 14" or so bed rack next (trying to keep the tent at or just slightly above the roof line) .. this rack/bedbars (Kbvoodoo High Rise Bed Bars)was an entry point, and cheapest option that did what I wanted... I'd like to retain the tonneau, or even get a soft topper with an exo-rack.. I like keeping the bed dust resistant, and clean of mud, etc.. I keep all my stuff in totes in the bed, and can easily slide out one of the 2 totes, my camping chair, or 77Qt cooler. I try to keep clothing and a few other items in the cab of the truck when i dont have passengers. I am still looking at buiilding a slide out kitchen setup, and custom storage solution for all of my gear. but I like that I can just remove 3 large items and have a free bed.. the tent can lift off with 2 people by removing the security screws in the high rise bars.

MaineFarmer[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Nov 22, 2019 at 4:58 AM
    SR-71A

SR-71A Define "Well-Known Member"

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TX Baja Edition. Barcelona Red
    255/85/R16 Falken Wildpeak MTs, Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, SOS front skid, Icon RXT leafs, extended & adjustable Kings, JBA UCAs, OVS wedge RTT, dual AGM batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5 winch, CB, GMRS, S1 ditch lights...
    Seems really high. Even if it is the official recommendation.

4. Nov 22, 2019 at 5:16 AM
    gsubioguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD OR
    Just looked up the manual, 2GR-FKS plugs are every 60k--realized that could be misconstrued as my being snarky, was not meant to be. Simply verification.

60k service.jpg

Spare Parts[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Nov 22, 2019 at 5:23 AM
    SR-71A

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    255/85/R16 Falken Wildpeak MTs, Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, SOS front skid, Icon RXT leafs, extended & adjustable Kings, JBA UCAs, OVS wedge RTT, dual AGM batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5 winch, CB, GMRS, S1 ditch lights...
    How did you like those guys otherwise? They're not too far from me. Think I might be needed a parking brake cable here soon, might be easier to get it from them rather than online

6. Nov 22, 2019 at 5:39 AM
    gsubioguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD OR
    At this point, I've not yet needed to visit their parts counter so cannot speak to that dept. But as a whole dealership, I've been happy with them. As noted prior, some frustration over the 50k service but that is on me for not conferring with the manual. Charlie's in Augusta is much closer so they'll likely be where I go for plugs.

SR-71A[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Nov 22, 2019 at 5:43 AM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    Seriously, stay away from these consolidated 30k, 60k service intervals. If you look at the actual fluid and filter changes, do those only a la cart, you can save 100,s of dollars. With these consolidated services, you’re paying for the labor for all these inspections that every good mechanic does anyway. They are looking for brake jobs and low coolant etc and much you can do yourself if you can lift the hood. .....you don’t need to pay the dealer. Just do the interval changes according to the manual, spread them out over oil change intervals and expect those inspections for free during oil change intervals. It’s a freak’n Toyota. We should be doing many inspection items ourselves too.

SilverBulletII likes this.
  8. Nov 22, 2019 at 5:50 AM
    gsubioguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD OR
    Good point. Must confess that my last Tacoma (1st gen PreRunner) was tickling 300k when I traded it and I didn't do a damn thing to it other than oil, coolant & brakes after ~150-175k. Not how I intend to treat this one!

Dagosa[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Nov 22, 2019 at 7:00 AM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    Exactly. Besides, the mechanics check everything regardless. The worse advertising in the world is a vehicle stuck on the side of the road with steam/smoke coming out of it because a mechanic from the dealership didn’t check the fluid levels during routine service. A cousin was a service manager for four related dealerships and routine inspections of all basic components were part of every service...at no charge. IMO, it’s pretty normal.

10. Nov 22, 2019 at 11:43 AM
    ACEkraut

ACEkraut Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Topsham, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Off Road
    I live in Topsham so Lee is convenient for parts. My experiences have been a mixed bag. They matched an internet price on my bed mat that I bought so that is good. They have been helpful at the counter trying to find a clip for me, but were ultimately unsuccessful at finding the correct clip. In fact, they ordered what was supposed to be the correct clip but it was months later before I could check if it fitted. The clip was for a friend of mine who had bumped her 2015 Tacoma into a wall and one of the necessary clips broke during installation. So it took me quite some time to be able to access her truck to check fitment. Once I realized it did not fit I went back to Parts to let them know. The counter person spent the next half hour with me trying to figure out what the right clip was without success. She then took pictures and information about the clip to research and see if she could actually find the part. That was the end of the good part of the visit. I then said I wanted to return the original clips I had bought, even though it was only about $8. After waiting for the woman to process the refund for another 15 minutes the "parts manager" came out and said that they could not process a refund since the parts had been purchased too long ago. I said "Really? You were the ones who provided me with the wrong part." We went back and forth a couple times and then I just threw the clips back on the counter and told him to keep them, he must need the clips more than he needed my business. Then I walked out. I never heard back from the other Parts counter person about the clip either. So that was not a positive experience.

11. Nov 22, 2019 at 5:51 PM
    Scott17818

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Midcoast Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB OR
    I bought my taco there, they seem ok, decent waiting area, coffee.. and a short walk to the shopping area if you get hungry, or want to do some shopping... I havent seen them pull the old "your brake fluid is dirty/yellow, and should be changed".. or otherwise.. and I just ticked past 30k miles at my last service there.. have had ECU reprogrammed for Automatic shift change (TSB), as well as had the HPFP replaced under warranty (easily $1200 warranty repair), as well as the howling lower control arm TSB done. they seem fair on their prices, was told $300 for factory remote start installed.. but think I want an phone/app controlled one as my fob wont reach from inside my work..

have gotten compliments from the service managers on my rims/tires, and the RTT..

SR-71A[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Nov 23, 2019 at 9:05 AM
    gsubioguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD OR
    Can now say I've been to the Lee (Topsham) dealer parts counter. Nice guy, polite & helpful. Picked up oil plug crush washers a la cart & touch up paint. Washers were ~$1 each

SR-71A likes this.
  13. Nov 23, 2019 at 11:11 AM
    BananaMan

BananaMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bumfrick nowhere Maine
    Vehicle:
    06 2.7 RC 2wd manual "squattytruck"
    Out of curiosity, does anyone have any 2TR-FE engine parts kicking around? Mainly gaskets or pistons. I'm going to be doing the rings and valve seals on mine soon, and I'm planning to go turbo not long after.

14. Nov 25, 2019 at 5:12 AM
    gsubioguy

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD OR
    Sunday's plan was to change engine & cabin air filters, oil & plugs. Filters were *ahem* a breeze but the bolts holding skid plate on were so tight that I could only get one off. Another, I completely rounded off via a combo of correct socket (12mm) and vice grip. Tried penetrating oil and hitting it with a torch but it wouldn't budge. Got so miffed that I didn't even deal with the plugs.

Last oil change was done at dealership so would like to thank the tech that had their impact wrench dialed up.

15. Nov 25, 2019 at 6:14 AM
    BananaMan

Member:
    Bumfrick nowhere Maine
    Vehicle:
    I did one of my U-joints last night, found out somebody put red loctite on the diff flange bolts. I found that out after I had a half inch socket wrench with all my weight on it slip off one and crack me in the face. On the plus side, now the truck doesn't vibrate!

16. Nov 25, 2019 at 6:23 AM
    SR-71A

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Damn.. No locktite on mine and they were still tight as hell. A set of swivel sockets and an impact works really well for the flange bolts. In fact Im going to start carrying one in my tool kit in case I ever need to pull the driveshaft on the trail

17. Nov 25, 2019 at 6:26 AM
    BananaMan

Member:
    Bumfrick nowhere Maine
    Vehicle:
    My biggest impact currently is a 3/8 drive and it wasn't touching them. It ended up taking myself holding the wrench on the back nut, and my friend on the socket wrench with a two foot cheater bar.

18. Nov 26, 2019 at 8:40 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    Howdy all.
    Anybody on here in the Farmington area that plows driveways, or maybe knows somebody who does that they'd recommend? I haven't lived in town for 12 +/- years now so I don't know who does what anymore, and we need somebody to handle my grandmother's driveway this winter. I can do it, but it's a 45 minute drive one way in good weather so I'd really rather hire somebody for it.

19. Nov 26, 2019 at 9:35 PM
    Scott17818

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Midcoast Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB OR
    go to a local gas station, or grocery store.... ask attendant, usually they have a public posting board (business cards, etc) and you can ask about the individuals, or call them and ask for a quote.. I typically get a friend.. I pay upwards of $20 per plow 120 ft straight shot driveway, 4 spots out back..... although I don't particularly care when they show up, just as long as its done before it gets to be a foot or so deep.. however this year I bought a 40" Bercomac snowblower for my tractor... guy was selling a practically new one for $200... picked it up today, ordered a winch solenoid for it.. wiring is easy....

20. Nov 27, 2019 at 4:31 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    Well since I don't live in town, I was hoping somebody could make a recommendation and save me a trip up just to go 'plow guy' hunting.
    Especially since right now my Saturdays are all booked because of deer season, lol.

Have fun with that Bercomac; Front-mount snowblowers like that are sweet. Hope you've got a paved driveway, though; they'll chuck stones or sticks a loooong way!

Products Discussed in

To Top