1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Maine

Discussion in 'North East' started by BSP4x4, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Noelie84

Noelie84 Semper Procrastinus

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma SR5 4x4 (Aggie)
    Trac Racs, Feather Foot mod for increased MPG, Nagging Passenger mod for safer driving :-)
    Shrug. On the one hand I can certainly understand not wanting to get out of his truck. On the other hand, it wasn't an overly safe approach on his part not to leave himself a fast escape route if I pulled a gun or something. On the third hand, I'm sure he was pretty certain that I was just a goon clowning around and wasn't going to draw on him.

2. maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    If you assume every stop has a nut with a gun you would never get any sleep at night. I would rather be in a running truck than on foot if some one pulled a gun.

3. Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    Trac Racs, Feather Foot mod for increased MPG, Nagging Passenger mod for safer driving :-)
    Meh. Not a cop so I wouldn't know for sure.
    I just know that every other time I've been pulled over the cop's always made sure to stay behind my window, do a visual check of the interior, etc. Most of them seem more relaxed after I hand them my CCW permit than they do when they don't know that I've got it. I've even had some officers talk about their off-duty carry guns before.
    One of them even showed me a gorgeous Kimber that he used as his off-duty carry; it had a bead-blasted frame and slide, with polished trigger, hammer, and pins and black safety and slide releases. Plus a set of tritium sights, and he said he'd had the trigger done. That was one of the prettiest guns I've ever seen; a real Hot Rod.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  4. skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    sold everything
    Hey guys! The wife and I were planning a vacation for this summer, had thought about going to South Carolina, but now we're thinking about heading further north to your neck of the woods. We would have to fly into Portland. Neither of us have ever been to the east coast. What would you guys recommend doing for someone who has never been there? Places to eat, stay, must do's, must see's. Things to avoid? Thanks.

5. Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    What do you like to do?
    That'll determine where we point you!
    One thing you need to do is go to the ocean. Not Old Orchard Beach, either. The real ocean, someplace without a million people everywhere.

6. skidooman

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    sold everything
    We like anything outdoors, into backpacking, hiking stuff like that, places to get some cool pictures. Not a huge fan of people, so the less the better, granted I know we wont be able to avoid all the crowds, but some local cool spots would be nice to know. We are thinking of being there from July 3-8.

7. Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Custom Ultragauge Mount
    4th of July is real busy up here.
    Tons of people along the beaches and inland waters.
    I would suggest some research online.
    They have the eastern trail for bike riding. Never done it but they say its pretty cool if u like that. Some charter fishing.
    Local Race tracks for cars and horses.
    Lots of sea food places.

8. Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    Not into people...in Vacationland" on the weekend of the 4th....

That'll be kind of a challenge to get away from people that weekend, honestly. The nice scenic places will likely be crowded, and the places like OOB will be packed like sardines in a can.
    You can still get remote campsites that weekend, but you'll want to book them now. How far are you going to be willing to travel to get away from Portland?

9. skidooman

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    sold everything
    Fishing would be cool. We didnt get to when we were in Alaska.
    I do love seafood.

Yeah... We want to see the ocean, but not necessarily hang out on the beach for hours. I swim kind of like a rock, I am pasty white, and my wife is a ginger. We're not really stuck on that weekend, we just thought of then because we get an extra paid day off with the holiday. Probably not going to camp, but we would definitely be willing to travel a few hours from Portland. I like lighthouses, and would love to get some pictures of a few.

I appreciate your guys' input.

10. Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Custom Ultragauge Mount
    Light houses we have.
    Ask away.
    We can steer you down some road... Lol
    I would suggest you get a agenda with wifey and search like hell.
    So many hidden things to do up here.
    You going to drive or fly ??? Never mind your flying heheh

11. skidooman

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    sold everything
    Yeah, flying. We won the tickets through my work, so they're free! :D

12. Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6
    You can get one day fishing licenses or 3 day...
    Guides would have all info you needed for a package.

Big ass scallops and haddock strips .mmmmmmmmm
    Clams.
    I love fried seafood.

13. YOTA LOVER

YOTA LOVER Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    3" OME lift (HD), LR UCAs, All-Pro Sliders, All-Pro APEX Front Bumper w/PIAA 530 Fogs, All-Pro Skidplate, 1" diff drop, vent visors, OCTaco Braided Lines, baby seat (forward-facing)

Look up the Appalachian trail. Then prepare to hike the 100 mile wilderness. It's on my wife and I's bucket list.

14. Maineiack

Maineiack Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 stock reg cab 4x4
    If you want ocean and light houses, I suggest Owls Head and the Rockland breakwater. You can also head down towards Camden and Rockport area, lots of great restaurants, and you have Mt. Battie and Mcgunticook in that area for hiking. You could just travel coastal rt1 and just stop whenever you feel. It may be busy that weekend but you could make Bar Harbor your destination and see a lot of fun stuff along the way. There are a lot of camp grounds on that route to stay at as well.

15. maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    This^^ Yep route 1 right up the coast.

16. Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    Ugh.
    That can be hit or miss. It's a nice drive, but a lot of times in July Rt 1 turns into a parking lot, haha!
    Of course, you can always turn the blinker on and go exploring.

17. snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft.myers,FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Lexus ES300
    Brunswick/Bath area can be a quieter place unless they are using the "College" for an event...

http://jrmaxwells.com/ in downtown Bath..:cheers: ,walking along the back side of Mariners history and then using some of the smaller "Local Guides" can give you a "Better look" at natures best via a boat..

http://www.acadiamagic.com/CadillacMountain.html I will leave this here for :cool:......

We went here last summer and :) :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  18. Sloth

Sloth Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    If you want an awesome hike look up baxter state park/ Mt Katahdin. Just make sure to go prepared, not exactly on easy hike but totally worth it. Arguably one of the toughest portions of the Appalachian trail. Like others have said most places get pretty busy around July 4th up there since a lot of massholes such as myself like to escape up there for the holidays.

Like snoope mentioned, Acadia national park is awesome place to visit too. You can hike Cadillac mountain (first place the sun rises in the continental US), and then do the more touristy things over in bar harbor.

Whatever you plan to do, if it's going to need reservations book them now.

19. Noelie84

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    That's a haul from Portland, though. They could camp around Acadia and then climb Cadillac to greet the sun. But getting to BSP from Portland is what, 4 hours? And that's mostly highway, too. I think it's something like 200 miles one way...

Edit: If you DO want to climb Baxter, or even if you're interested in Acadia, you should definitely fly into Bangor instead. It'll cut about 2 hours off of your travel time, haha!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  20. Sloth

Sloth Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    Good point, BSP and Acadia areboth not exactly close. Flying into Bangor would be smart. Might be a significant cost increase though since its a smaller airport. Acadia is probably the top place to go to kind of check all the boxes off so to speak. It has camping, hiking, lighthouse, seafood, etc.

Products Discussed in this Thread

To Top