1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Maintenance on Ducati

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by maxboostcore, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Sep 1, 2010 at 3:24 AM
    maxboostcore

maxboostcore [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SOCAL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Hey Guys,
    I'm interested in purchasing a bike again. I'm just wondering, since I've never owned a Ducati, how much would the maintenance on a Ducati 848 be? Also compare that to a 2007+ Yamaha R6? Any detailed explanation opinions would be appreciated. Is the maintenance on the 2 bikes going to be pretty close price or will it be completely different? Thank you in advance.

2. Sep 1, 2010 at 3:34 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    Send a PM to SManZ. He works on bikes and probably can answer your question.

3. Sep 1, 2010 at 5:55 AM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    The two couldn't be any further apart. Your maintenance costs on a Ducati will be higher. Spare parts will be a bit harder to find and more expensive as well.

On any pre-2007 Ducati, the desmodromic valves require adjustment every 6000mi. 2007+ models were updated and valve adjustment intervals increased to 7500mi. Figure about $400 for each valve adjustment, if you can't do it yourself (I don't do these).

The timing belt does also need to be changed. I believe the interval was 12,000-15,000mi and it can be done in conjunction with the valve adjustments to save on labor.

In contrast, most Yamaha sportbikes have a valve adjustment interval of 26,600mi, approximately four times as long as the Ducati and use a timing chain that does not have a maintenance requirement. Most riders don't hold onto a bike for this long. My '06 Yamaha FZ1 is coming up on its first valve adjusment and I bought this bike new.

Aside from the timing belt and valves, the basic maintenance requirements for both are pretty similar.

If you ride a lot, the maintenance costs are something to consider. If you don't ride very much at all, it might not matter as much. You can get a Japanese bike with similar or better ride experience as a Ducati, with less maintenance headache. You just miss out on the whole Ducati 'thing', whatever that may be.

To sum it up, I talked to a hardcore Ducati-ist and told him I'd never own one because of the heavy maintenance requirements. His response was "You're just not ready for a Ducati" :rolleyes: They're good bikes - just know what you're getting into before you make that committment!

4. Sep 1, 2010 at 7:28 AM
    Imaking

Imaking Taco Newb

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    Pahrump, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    OME 885x coils, 5100's set at 0. Deaver 2" AAL and 5100s out back. AFE Pro Dry S drop-in, BHLM, '10 sport grille.
    I'm going to agree with SmanZ on this. I own a 2007 R6 and plan to add an 848 Evo to my garage before too long. They both have their purpose and pros/cons. The R6 is 100% track duty right now and will probably stay that way.

5. Sep 1, 2010 at 11:17 AM
    maxboostcore

maxboostcore [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SOCAL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Thank you very much. My friends told me it would pricey but they didn't know just how bad the maintenance will be. I might have to go with a japanese bike. I don't ride a lot but, when i do, i don't want to have to worry about maintenance. I had an 03 yamaha r6 so it would safe to assume that the 07+ models will probably have the same maintenance requirements.

6. Sep 1, 2010 at 11:33 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Aside from the Valves, the belt is an easy DIY. Between my Duccatti, and my Triumphs I didnt think one was more maint over the other...

7. Sep 2, 2010 at 1:10 AM
    yellowgt5

yellowgt5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cabot,AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCB Prerunner
    None Yet
    Maintence on Ducs is not that bad. You have a 600 mile service, which is somewhere around $150. After that no more service until 7500. Also with the 848, you have the wet clutch setup. That reduces some of the maintenance costs compared to Ducati's with the dry clutch.
    Having a Ducati is like no other bike out there. The sounds, looks, and feelings while riding it. The 848 is a great bike and so amazing to ride. To me, take the time and go ride the 848 and see if you like it. Hope some of this helps. Good luck.

8. Sep 2, 2010 at 6:59 AM
    WVtriple

WVtriple Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    WV eastern panhandle
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD Sport
    Satoshi grill mod, Redline Tuning Hood struts and tailgate E-Z down, HID headlights and fogs, LED tail lamp upgrade, TRD exhaust, FJ TRD Anthracite Wheels, T-REX eyelids, power sunroof, 5100 Billies and ToyTec AAL, K&N drop-in, TRD seatcovers, Weathertech floor mats, Fog light any-time mod, Pop-n-lock, slotted front rotors with ceramic pads, BenWa power rear slider mod, blackout badges, and blacked out center stack and console. 7" HID's behind the grill. LED light bar in the lower grill. Trailer plug relocate. Auxiliary reverse LED's wired in to be manual or auto on when in reverse.
    +1 on the new 848 EVO.

Japanese sport bikes are like bikini models, hot and often loaded with aftermarket parts, but nothing you would want to go the distance with.

Chris 4x4 whant Triumph(s) do you currently have?

9. Sep 2, 2010 at 7:33 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I dont have them anymore, but I had a Daytona 955, and a Sprint ST 955. I had some engine work done to the SPrint, and it pulled alot harder than the Daytona. I could always stay pretty close to my buddies on their 1k Gixxer's and Yammy's. :)

10. Sep 2, 2010 at 8:17 AM
    WTtoolman

WTtoolman Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab 4x4 TRD SWB
    5100s at 0, eibachs, 2" toytec AAL,, Moto Metal 951b, BFG A/T
    I've worked on a few Ducatis. They are enticing but just are practical for most people who put alot of miles on a bike. My dealership ended their dealership status with ducati, not because the bikes weren't selling but because it was such a headache to get parts! Simple things, such as an oil filter, would take weeks to arrive. And if you needed some sort of engine component or bodywork, forget about it. We had far too many complaints. The way they constantly change ownership creates alot of problems.

11. Sep 2, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    WVtriple

WVtriple Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    WV eastern panhandle
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD Sport
    Satoshi grill mod, Redline Tuning Hood struts and tailgate E-Z down, HID headlights and fogs, LED tail lamp upgrade, TRD exhaust, FJ TRD Anthracite Wheels, T-REX eyelids, power sunroof, 5100 Billies and ToyTec AAL, K&N drop-in, TRD seatcovers, Weathertech floor mats, Fog light any-time mod, Pop-n-lock, slotted front rotors with ceramic pads, BenWa power rear slider mod, blackout badges, and blacked out center stack and console. 7" HID's behind the grill. LED light bar in the lower grill. Trailer plug relocate. Auxiliary reverse LED's wired in to be manual or auto on when in reverse.
    somebody has alotta time and money!

12. Sep 2, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    Bobo_1

Bobo_1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobo
    Maryville, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport L-Bed
    I have the bad habit of tearing my engines a part and rebuilding them, usually with larger bore pistons, valves etc. and I always look at things from cylinder count. It is so much easier and cheaper to work on 2 cylinders than 4 or even worse the 8 in my LS1.

13. Sep 2, 2010 at 1:37 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Ducati's and other european bikes are generally not to much more expensive for basic maintinance (unless you have an MV Agusta). But repairs and repair parts for them can get pricey. You will shell out quite a bit more for parts on a Euro bike over a Japanese one. Here are my bikes:
    IMG_0193_586c2c47ebe3b653502fdb325cf8dfef497e231a.jpg
    l_6d93f13e4aca43acaf80107ff266bfa5_800fd9636e3b1a7a48815354f2ea6ff86f2faf5d.jpg
    DucMtStHelens4_289f581894890b5f05dc1629ae8c26ea7be77300.jpg

14. Sep 2, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    Imaking

Imaking Taco Newb

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    Pahrump, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    OME 885x coils, 5100's set at 0. Deaver 2" AAL and 5100s out back. AFE Pro Dry S drop-in, BHLM, '10 sport grille.
    I love and hate you all at the same time... you sir, have excellent taste :cheers:

Lovin' the single exhaust on the Hyper :cool:

15. Sep 3, 2010 at 8:27 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Thanks, its the Ducati Performance exhaust and it sounds great. The Hyper with that exhaust, the race cams and race ECU is a BEAST to say the least.

I want to put this exhaust on the hyper:
    Hypermotard_sc_project_doppio_double_exh_ce1784a1d01aecf1a3b4d73d670104f95f3d9366.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top