1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Major issue with 2011 Tacoma Access Cab Door

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jwake, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Feb 16, 2011 at 8:33 AM
    gregp

gregp Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '13 V-6 4x4
    My new '11 AC doors take much more force to close tightly than my friends and family are used to. I only have about 500 miles on it now, but it has become normal for everybody to have to open and re-close the passenger side door once they get in/out. I was hoping that they would break in over time.... I will take a closer look at the gaps, and also try the "window-down" thing and see if it helps.

2. Feb 16, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    BuxMont

BuxMont New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Chalfont, PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco SR5, 1996 Taco 256k mi.
    SR5
    The doors do close easier with the window open, but when you open the doors they still "pop" open.

I think it's a combination of issues because it can't just be the air pressure.

3. Feb 22, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    Ducs2r

Ducs2r Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    WV
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    I have had my 2011 AC for a week, and originally found the driver side door required more force than i was used to (converting from a Honda S-2000 where everything was basically hand fit, a Toyota Solara built in Canada and several Subarus). I planned to complain about it when i brought it in for servicing but the problem has completely gone away, either because the door has broken in or i have learned to compensate by closing it harder. I find the fitment on this Texas built Tacoma to be up to the standards i expect on North American built Japanese cars. Which is pretty high, if not quite up to the standards of truly Japanese built cars from the 1990's.

T

4. Feb 23, 2011 at 3:45 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    FWIW, often by design the manufacturer will install relief vents specific to letting the pressure out as a door is closed.

My 1990 Nissan has these in the doors themselves.

Without the vents, each close will attempt to destroy your speakers.

Mines a 2010 DC. No door closing issues but a few others I would like them to fix.

PK

5. Feb 23, 2011 at 10:15 AM
    Kuneff

Kuneff Carpe Diem

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Woods Beater
    Tree Dents
    I am stumped as to how you guys are all having issues with this, yet mine is a brand new 2011 and has no issues with doors opening or closing. Coming from 2 (03 & 04)Infiniti G35 coupes and a (06)Acura TL as my previous 3 Daily Driver vehicles.

6. Feb 23, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    Rocko

Rocko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Auto
    My 2010 access cab did not shut well for the first few months..., it closes fine now. Maybe my door seals needed to break in a bit. My door looks to be of the correct size, though. IT is a California built truck.

7. Feb 23, 2011 at 4:02 PM
    arkietaco

arkietaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    west central Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4WD Offroad
    I'm having same problem with my driver side door on 2011 access cab. Traded in 2006 access cab which had no problem at all with doors. Had dealership check out my door yesterday and they gave me the "truck extremely tight" excuse. Passenger door is fine but drivers door seems to be in some sort of bind when opening and much more difficult to shut than passenger door.

8. Feb 23, 2011 at 6:11 PM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    Now you've done it.

:popcorn:

9. Jun 9, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    scottyknu

scottyknu Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scot
    Glenwood Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD OR
    Ok, so I also have this weird 11' AC door problem, and I also bought it in Texas. Hopefully it sorta fixes itself with a few more miles on it (I only have 1700 so far). I have to almost slam the drivers door to get it to close. The passenger's door closes with the tiniest bit of force. Im gunna take it in to get a new credit card key cut (the first one doesnt work), so I'll mention the door thing to them as well.

10. Jun 9, 2011 at 10:30 PM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    My '07 AC passenger door had that problem. I almost always had to have them re-shut the door.

11. Jun 10, 2011 at 4:40 AM
    Bloom

Bloom Well-Known Member

Member:
    NASCAR, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 BR DC TRD OR
    OME 885+Dakars, WeatherTech mats, EGR In Channel, PopNLock, Access LE, 3M tint and clear film paint protection, Sport grille, Amsoil, Zaino once in a while.
    I was able to fix the "SLAM! the door" problem by trading the Access cab for a Double cab.

The DC's doors close with that quality sound you'd expect from a $30,000+ vehicle. The AC's doors close like a poorly built Yugo. (No offense to Yugo)

The Tacoma suffers from lack of competition. When I bought my 98 Tacoma, there were a lot of choices for small trucks between all the manufacturers and the Tacoma was more expensive, but obviously better.

Today, Toyota owns the small truck market. The Tacoma is still a nice machine, but they are only as good as they need to be.

12. Jun 10, 2011 at 4:49 AM
    o5iiawah

o5iiawah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Philly 'burbs, PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x2 access cab 2.7l
    I have a 2011 AC as well. It was a little tight the first few weeks but I got used to it. That seal is super tight. I still get the ear-pop every now and again.

13. Jun 11, 2011 at 6:06 AM
    Jwake

Jwake [OP] Active Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD TAV
    King 2.5 adjustable shocks, All Pro Baja 2.0 front bumper, AP under armor, AP rock crawlers, AP expedition 2.0 leaf springs, AP UCAs, C4 Offroad rear bumper, Front Runner cab and topper racks, dual battery system - Off Grid/Deka batteries, Baja Designs Sq Pros, BD ONX6 ARC 30" Driving/Combo
    Well, I have had my Taco for 7 months and yes if you roll the door down some it takes a little less force to close the door but no matter what anyone says...these doors are screwed up...they don't close right and I still can't find anyone at Toyota that will even discuss it...every time I close my door (excuse me...that would be slam) it pisses me off more and more...and, the position Toyota has taken on this has changed the decades long trust I had developed in Toyota...heck even my stereo was better in my basic-no frills 95 Tacoma Access Cab...wifes 4 Runner Limited has a horrible sound system to...over 40K and the magnets on the speakers are almost thin enough to snap with two fingers and the navagation system is absolutely worthless....see what kind of attitude the declining Toyota quality can cause.....:(

14. Jun 12, 2011 at 7:55 AM
    SteveEshleman

SteveEshleman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Spartanburg, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Access Cab
    I agree. My 2011 Tacoma Access Cab is my last Toyota product, and not just because of the doors problem. Their attitude of indifference is the killer. The Toyota rep told me the way the doors work is "inherent to the vehicle." I won't buy the 2012 Lexus 460 of my dreams because of this!

15. Jun 12, 2011 at 2:11 PM
    arkietaco

arkietaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    west central Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4WD Offroad
    I've had nothing but Toyota's for 22 years nows but I have to agree on the truck quality problem. Probably my last toyota truck. I wish there was something we could do to get Toyota to address the door problem.

16. Jun 12, 2011 at 2:21 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    I've been having this door problem, too! The thing is, I was so upset that my door didn't fully latch on my first attempt that I have spent the following months in a haze of alcoholic, teary depression, where I feel there is nothing left to live for. I wish toyota wasn't so stuck up their own ass that they could come up with some plan to correct this seemingly minute door-latch debacle on their own dime. After all, I paid for this truck! Well, I mean I went into the dealership and set up a plan to finance the vehicle, but it's still MY MONEY.

/rant

17. Jun 12, 2011 at 2:33 PM
    TRDGRL

TRDGRL My Toys.....

Member:
    First Name:
    TRDGRL
    RainForestVille, Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '11 BLK Tacoma PreRunner TRD SR5 Access Cab
    See Signature.....
    Mines works fine.....:D

18. Jun 12, 2011 at 3:07 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Drive more worry less the doors closed fine on my 97 but the gaskets were worn out the rear window leaked and the door was a hell of a lot lighter. Yeah my 2011 closes a bit harder but if you push it when it does not close you can feel the gasket compressing.

Products Discussed in

To Top