1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Major Rear Ender Today

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rocketball, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Feb 23, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    talk to your insurance company see if they have it. I'm with ICBC it's a government agency specific to BC.
    edit: full coverage here is $2400 a year for a 4x4 v6 access cab tacoma. It goes down the longer you have gone without a claim put in that was your fault. Right now I pay $120ish a month

2. Feb 26, 2010 at 1:46 PM
    IRSmart

IRSmart On a steel horse I ride...

Member:
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    03 Ford Mustang GT convertible
    Cobra front bumper, Mach 1 shaker hood, blacked out trunk, 10.5" rear wheels with 315/35ZR17 tires, Pypes longtube headers, Pypes off-road midpipe, Flowmaster Super-40 SS cat-back, SCT-3 tuner with 2 custom tunes, IUP upgrade, touch-screen JVC head unit, 12 disc JVC cd changer, re-wire convertible top, I'm sure I'm missing a lot, I've had it for a few years lol
    you're not the only one upset about the accident. i did a lot of those mods myself, too, especially the electrical ones :lol:

3. Feb 26, 2010 at 1:50 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball [OP] If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Hello son..... :cool:

4. Feb 26, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Mr. conductor.... Drumroll please..........................

The dealer called today with the estimate........

It's not totalled, well at least not yet.

Right now they are at $14,568.00. :eek:

In the short discussion I had with the shop manager, I know of more damage that they did not see. Both headlights and grill assembly are broken as well and that's not on the estimate right now. It'll probably be pushing just north of $16K before all is said and done......

It goes in the shop on Monday to begin the teardown.

They said I would not see my truck until some time in mid April. :(

5. Feb 26, 2010 at 1:58 PM
    IRSmart

Member:
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    Cobra front bumper, Mach 1 shaker hood, blacked out trunk, 10.5" rear wheels with 315/35ZR17 tires, Pypes longtube headers, Pypes off-road midpipe, Flowmaster Super-40 SS cat-back, SCT-3 tuner with 2 custom tunes, IUP upgrade, touch-screen JVC head unit, 12 disc JVC cd changer, re-wire convertible top, I'm sure I'm missing a lot, I've had it for a few years lol
    Stan will push hard for you at the shop. From what I've seen with the customers I send down there, I hear nothing but good things from him. what did they give you for a rental?

6. Feb 26, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    Sorry to hear about that :(

7. Feb 26, 2010 at 3:24 PM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    I'll be driving a Ram 4 door truck.

8. Feb 26, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    The frame is being replaced with a new one. Guess I don't have to worry about frame rust for a while...... :cool:

9. Feb 26, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    IRSmart

Member:
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    I told you they'd up you to a full-sized. we've never sold a mid-size truck to enterprise. they only ever have full-size trucks in stock.

just don't fall in love with it or i might have to sell you one :p

10. Feb 26, 2010 at 3:35 PM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    They have the mid size trucks, but they're all out on rental right now. I'm getting a car over the weekend, and they'll switch me over to a truck Monday afternoon.

11. Feb 26, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    DUDE!!! ARE YOU NUTS!!! Call around and find a body shop that buys wrecked vehicles. Ask your insurance agent/adjustor to help you find someone. I bet you can sell that junk POS truck for $6-$8K and add the ~$18K your insurance company will give you and you can WALK WITH A BRAND NEW TRUCK! In fact, you can probably get more from your insurance company as they won't have to pay for you to drive a rental for 4+ weeks. Don't wait all that time and drive a POS near-totalled truck around when, for the same price and less effort, you can buy a BRAND NEW TRUCK. :confused:

12. Feb 26, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Damn man...thats sucks! I'm sorry that had to happen but i'm glad your okay :eek:

13. Feb 26, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    x2..Friend of mine got rear ended 3 times with tinted tails.:eek:

Bet that kid "didnt see your lights":rolleyes:

14. Feb 26, 2010 at 3:46 PM
    IRSmart

Member:
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    he isn't driving it. it's sitting up at my body shop right now

15. Feb 26, 2010 at 3:49 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    what was the kid driving??

16. Feb 26, 2010 at 3:50 PM
    IRSmart

Member:
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
  17. Feb 26, 2010 at 3:50 PM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    As fast as he was going, there was no way he was paying attention.

What tinted tails? :confused:

I don't have tinted tails......

They became untinted last weekend. :D

18. Feb 26, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    He will be when you're done fixing it. The resale will suck, the vehicle will never be the same. Why keep it? It's been in a major accident and the OP has a one time chance to get ~$18K for this POS from his insurance company, he can keep it and he can get (estimating) $6K to $8K from a body shop like yours that has a "used car lot" next door. ;)

The OP can take that money and buy a brand new 2010 with zero miles, never been in an accident and walk away from this mess in less than 3 days!!!

Been there, played that game and WON!!!

19. Feb 26, 2010 at 4:18 PM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    Glad you made out on your deal. You've given me something to think about and make some very good points.

Just so you know, you're arguing with my son, and he's a car salesman. :D And you know how they are...... :rolleyes: :D

20. Feb 26, 2010 at 4:20 PM
    IRSmart

Member:
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    that wouldn't be the case here, however. there is still a loan on the truck. while it would work in theory, since i sell cars and can get him one at employee cost, there is still the loan on the truck to be considered. if it was paid for in full, you're right, it would be a perfect scenario. but he wouldn't be able to walk away in a new 10 tacoma free and clear. plus, he would have to buy back the truck from the insurance company in order to sell it to a shop. there is no way an insurance company would give a check for full value of the truck, PLUS let you keep it to re-sell it. that's their plans, after all. they'd give you a check for the value of the truck before the damages, minus the salvage value, then give the truck back. then you're stuck with a dimished value check, plus a wrecked truck depriciating every second, hoping to god someone will buy it for more than what the insurance company deducted you for. it's not as easy as you make it sound. best case scenario is he winds up with a few thousand dollars to put as a down payment on a new truck.

it wouldn't be that bad as long as a new frame is put on, like my shop would do. with body-on-frame cars, as opposed to unibody, once you slap a new frame on, it's practically brand new, whereas on a unibody, you must REPAIR the frame instead of REPLACING it. then you run into issues where it wasn't repaired properly, or something didn't line up right, etc. with a new frame, everything should be golden, especially with the kind of work my collision center does. the guy that is working on my dad's truck is the same guy that painted my trunk for me, and the work that came out was nothing short of flawless. even better than the factory paint on the car. now, i completely understand that painting a trunk and replacing a frame are entirely different monsters, my point is that the shop it's at does A+ work, less than that i've never seen.

stubborn like his father :p

Products Discussed in

To Top