1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Make your own Polyurethane bushings?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by shortround13, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Mar 22, 2017 at 3:28 AM
    shortround13

shortround13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    04 DblCab TRD 4x4
    I bought new bushings from Energy Suspension for the following:

body mounts
    control arms (will only be using the lowers as I have LR UCA that are fairly new)
    steering rack
    sway bar

While I was peeking under the truck today, noticed the front differential mounts look pretty worn too. All I can find is the OEM replacement that gives you the entire "L" bracket for about $100 per side (need left and right) Kind of pricy...
    Then I came across some Youtube videos of guys making their own poly bushings using a liquid 2 part mix to pour in.
    Seems I could take the brackets off, remove the old bushing, make my own for roughly $30-40

Hardest part would probably burning out the old rubber. The most critical part would probably be lining up the center sleeve, back to....well....dead on center.

Couldn't find a good picture and didn't want to go back out to the garage, but can't remember off the top of my head if those bushings protrude out of the bracket (above/below) a little or not. That could pose another challenge requiring a mold of some sort if so.

Anybody ever done it? Tips, tricks, any don't do what I did stories? Or should I just fork over the cash for OEM....?

ChadsPride likes this.
  2. Mar 24, 2017 at 8:21 PM
    JJ04TACO

JJ04TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    Fox 2.5 RR front, 2.0 RR rear from AccuTune Offroad, OME Dakar Leafs, Camburg Uniball UCA's, CBI Offroad Bolt on Sliders w/kickout, Scangauge II Uniden Bearcat 880 w/ 3' Firestick on CBI antenna mount B&M Trans Cooler
    For $60 a side in savings vs all the time and trouble of making them, I'd just shell out the cash. Most everything I've had to replace on my '04 has lasted 100k or more. Seems worth it for OEM replacements. I love saving a buck, but I love saving time even more. Especially with a 2 and 4 year old needing daddy all the time. :) Not car related but I was offered an estimate for yard care of 1000k for the whole season. Aeration was 265.00 and 85/visit every 6 weeks. I said screw it and aerated my yard for 80 bucks (rental) and two hours and did the weed and feed in under 30 minutes. I'm cheap but not 60.00 cheap... I'm into saving 100's not 10's. I know it adds up but gotta pick your battles.

3. Mar 28, 2017 at 12:10 AM
    shortround13

shortround13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    04 DblCab TRD 4x4
    True....the more I think about it, the more I think that if these original bushings lasted 140,000 miles...$200 isn't that bad, considering the level of difficulty in recreating them...

Products Discussed in

To Top