1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Malburg114's 3Link go fast SAS

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by malburg114, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Jun 30, 2016 at 1:02 PM
    malburg114

malburg114 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Well havent done to much lately. Been busy with work and after working in the heat for a couple days last week, I got pretty sick and havent been feeling 100% lately. But did manage to get 75% of the box done so I can use it for this weekend.
    [​IMG]2016-06-30_05-53-13 by Harrison M, on Flickr
    [​IMG]2016-06-30_12-17-52 by Harrison M, on Flickr

Also picked up a little something as well... Was a total steal of a deal but not 100% sure if itll fit in my bumper. I will find out next week.
    [​IMG]2016-06-30_05-52-57 by Harrison M, on Flickr

Did a once over on the truck today and think I over filled the rear 3rd when I changed the oil as its been sweating oil so I pulled the fill plug and let it drain to where its supposed to be. Also noticed my driver side axle knuckle is leaking so may have a bad seal as well... But for now, the tent is back on and getting ready to head to Utah for 3 and half days. Only sleeping one night in the tent though :(. Going to be mostly highway miles as we are going white water rafting and just a little vacation and to get out of the heat.

EDIT: Not sure why the 2nd picture is upside down? Shows up normal on flickr.

Milota95 and FirstGen Jer like this.
  2. Jun 30, 2016 at 2:10 PM
    malburg114

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Making myself a little to do list since I have a lot I want to do and need to do:
    Finish the box with battery box (Get deep cycle battery)
    Fit the new winch (With synthetic line)
    Check Driver side axle seal
    Check rear third seal
    Swingout (Fall project)
    Bed side bars
    Smittybuilt tire Awning
    Tundra brake upgrade
    Rear disk upgrade
    Wire Auxillary fuse box (Cigarrett lighter in bed with plugs to bed lights etc.)
    Solar panel with magnate
    Half doors/Tube Doors with windows (and locks (Glove box/center console)
    Back seat storage with sub
    Finish center console with switches
    Seat covers
    Clean headlights

Im sure theres more. But thats a good start. Just a list. Will see when everything actually gets done. Some are more important than others.

BHill_teq likes this.
  3. Jul 4, 2016 at 10:32 AM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    I would look into swapping an fj80 rear axle instead of a disc brake kit. It was cheaper for me to do the swap rather than add a disc kit to my stock axle. Plus you get a 9.5" diff and a full float axle, and all the brake fittings bolted up to my stock truck and worked with my stock MC

4. Jul 4, 2016 at 2:05 PM
    malburg114

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Hmmm. Ill have to keep my eye out for one of them and do some more research on them then make a decision. A front fj80 axle just popped up on cl but have yet to see a rear one. A 9.5 diff with full float would be nice but I have the e-locker right now which is super nice lol. And with that, I havent looked much into making the rear disks. I know tg sells a kit and thats about it. Decisions decisions...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  5. Jul 4, 2016 at 2:30 PM
    slander

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    I was going to use the all pro kit and it way expensive and they dicked me around for a bit so i cancelled. I paid 450 bucks for an open diff 80 rear, but around here toyotas are rare, you may be able to find one cheap by you. I miss my elocker as well, but it is what it is. You can adapt an 80 elocker to work with the tacoma system as well if you find one. For me the benefits out weighed the cons. My 80 axle swap started out as a rear brake job on my taco axle LOL!!!

6. Jul 4, 2016 at 6:45 PM
    malburg114

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Wheelers Pass Impromptu Camping Trip.
    07/02/2016-07/03/2016

The gf had gotten the week of the 4th off from work and was supposed to fly into town friday afternoon. The original plan was to pick her up from the airport and head to utah till monday. Mostly highway miles but was going to camp in Marysvalle and do some white water rafting for the weekend. Well Vegas had some crazy weather and her flight got delayed and we decided to change our plans and just go camping some place local instead of spending the whole weekend driving.

We got up Saturday morning and loaded up the truck and pointed the truck north to Wheelers Pass out by Cold Creek. We got to the start of the trail and aired down and got on our way. It had just rained a ton and the area was super green and the area was nice. We where one of the first vehicles on the trail and having a great time bouncing along. About halfway up the pass we ran into a group of wild horses. 7 to be exact. GF had never seen anything like it so we stopped and took some pictures and watched them run up the hill side before we carried on. A little farther up the trail, I looked down at the dash and noticed the check engine light had come on and got kind of spooked by it. Never seen it on before. I turned the truck off and looked over everything to make sure nothing was leaking. I didnt find anything out of place but decided to play it safe and get back to the highway and give my dad a call about what to do trying not to hurt anything. Well I got there and couldnt get ahold of him and to play it safe and not sure what it was, I called triple a and had a tow truck sent on its way. After eating lunch, I finally got a hold of my dad and he said not to worry about. Most check engine lights are for emissions and it was still driving fine. So I cancelled the tow truck and we got back on the trail.

We made it to the top and started down the backside to Pahrump. We found a nice camping spot right off the trail and set up camp and relaxed for a little. We cooked a nice dinner and had a small fire before climbing into the tent to get some sleep. to our surprise, it got very cold that night! The low was actually around 40 haha. We got up in the morning, made some breakfast and got back on the trail. We made it to the highway and got back on the road to head home. In Vegas, I stopped at an O'reillys and had them plug in a scanner, turned out to be a P0420 code and the gas cap wasnt either on all the way or the o ring is a little cracked and starting to let fumes leak out. Glad it was something small but plan on getting a scanner to add to the truck just to be safe in the future.

All in all, another good trip especially with how last minute of a plan it was and what all happened. Ive never had a check engine light so automatically assumed the worse but now I know for next time.

Now its time to do some maintence as Im doing another camping trip in 2 weeks with the gold xj. He just picked up his own RTT and is itching to get. One of my axle seals is leaking I think and the rear 3rd flange has been sweating oil since I overfilled it so plan on replacing that if it keeps leaking. Plus I need to give the truck a good look over and make sure everything is tight once again and get an alignment and I think it pulls a little to the right. And one of my tires valve stems started to leak on the trip so will stop by discount and have them fix that.

Fitting a 35 in spare with all your camping gear can be challenging sometimes..
    [​IMG]DSC_1017.JPG by Harrison M, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_1019.JPG by Harrison M, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_1025.JPG by Harrison M, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_1028.JPG by Harrison M, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_1045.JPG by Harrison M, on Flickr

I swear, sometimes I eat better camping than I do at home...
    [​IMG]DSC_1048.JPG by Harrison M, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_1051.JPG by Harrison M, on Flickr

7. Jul 4, 2016 at 6:50 PM
    malburg114

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Lol i know the feeling of a fairly simple job turning into something big... Me wanting to put a winch in my front bumper went to a full on sas so yeah haha. This may be something I do in the future though.

8. Jul 6, 2016 at 3:43 PM
    malburg114

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Poor trucks falling apart on me. Had a couple freak episodes where the truck would not have any power (electrical) when I turn the key from ignition to start. It would reset the radio, clock, and trip odometer. Thought batteTy was going dead but it tested fine. Even had to jump start the truck the one time. Sounded like something was shorting out but all the fuses checked out fine. Cleaned up the terminals and snugged them up and seems to start fine?

Any suggestions on what it may be? I know it's battery related since the cb is wired directly to the battery and when the truck would lose power, the cb wouldn't have power either. May start with replacing the battery cables. Anything else?

9. Jul 6, 2016 at 4:17 PM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Hmm, sounds like all the power from the battery is grounding out on something before it can make it to anything. I hate electrical problems.

10. Jul 6, 2016 at 4:22 PM
    malburg114

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Traced all the wires from the battery to the starter and alternator and everything is in tack where I can see. No fraying. I almost feel like it's in the ignition but I cleaned the battery terminals so there's no more corrosion and made sure they where snug and it started without a problem. May replace those lines just for extra insurance and start from there.

11. Jul 6, 2016 at 4:45 PM
    BYJOSHCOOK

BYJOSHCOOK Mr. Mojo Risin

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Woodstock and Alpharetta Ga
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 4WD Lunar Mist
    Check Out My Builds
    Are the terminals getting good contact? I know I've had that problem before

12. Jul 6, 2016 at 7:34 PM
    LogCabins

LogCabins Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 3.4L 4WD
    Mine was doing that...it was the alternator.....get the truck running and test the voltage from the alternator. Not the battery but the pos from the alt and see what it's reading

13. Jul 7, 2016 at 8:42 AM
    malburg114

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    They had some corrosion so I cleaned em off. Is possible I didn't tighten them completely when putting the winch in they vibrated just slightly off.
    Hmm I'll try that but don't think it's the alternator just cause the cb is wired to the battery and when this would happen, it would have no power either. Maybe the connectors are bad on mine but I will try that as well.

I did go out and start it a few times yesterday and ran some errands and it seems to be fine now. So I'll replace the battery cables and go from there for now.

14. Jul 9, 2016 at 5:00 PM
    malburg114

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Trucks been driving great. Will replace battery wires this week. Also got my synthetic winch line. 125' from custom splice. Will hopefully have the new winch and line in this week. Also learned my camera lens is screwed so want to order one of those before next weekend.

And truck also has bad camber now... I think I shimmed the knuckles wrong so have to fix that. And rotate tires. KO2s are starting to show signs of wear from all the trips.

15. Jul 10, 2016 at 7:02 AM
    slander

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    Just be careful shimming the knuckles, you dont want to mess up the alignment of the birf in the spindle.

16. Jul 10, 2016 at 8:52 AM
    malburg114

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Did you use the fish scale and all that to shim your knuckles?

17. Jul 10, 2016 at 10:48 AM
    slander

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    Fish scale and my eye balls to align the spindle and set the pre load. Toyota has a special tool to do it, but its like 400 bucks and even reading the fsm i dont unserstand how it works

18. Jul 10, 2016 at 10:49 AM
    malburg114

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Hahaha okay. Will have to double check mine.

19. Jul 10, 2016 at 10:53 AM
    slander

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    The only reason the shims are there are to align the birf and set the bearing pre load not to adjust camber. If your cambers messed up it may be a bent housing and you would have to straighten that.

20. Jul 10, 2016 at 10:55 AM
    malburg114

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    That's what I've learned from a little a looking. My tires are riding on the inside right now and not sure what to do about it...

To Top