1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Malburg114's 3Link go fast SAS

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by malburg114, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Sep 4, 2016 at 3:16 PM
    malburg114

malburg114 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  2. Sep 4, 2016 at 3:28 PM
    Robmonster117

Robmonster117 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Gilroy
    Vehicle:
    02 ext. cab 4x4
    Truck parts
    Yea hey you wanna make me one of those :boink:

Haha man that looks good, wish I had time to start building mine. Between work and school starting, time is not on my side. Hopefully this winter I can get work started on one.

3. Sep 4, 2016 at 3:36 PM
    malburg114

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Haha thanks man. Was probably one of the easier things ive built. Should work well for what I need.

I hear you on time... Didnt have to work half a week at my second job and was the only way I knocked it pretty quick. And the main bumper already being done lol.

4. Sep 11, 2016 at 5:17 PM
    malburg114

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Been super busy working on the truck getting ready to leave on Thursday. Got my Chromo IFS lockout hub conversion gears from trail gear in and installed in some Aisin hubs with some paint. Also picked up a set of 12" Fox shocks with the adjusters that I threw on the front and some Ruff stuff 3/8" U bolts for the front to replace the 1/2" ones. Also finally trimmed the center console filler piece and put that in. Decided im going to go a different route as well with my box for the bed. Id like to make a long skinny one that will fit under the high lift and shovel and still open.

[​IMG]2016-09-11_05-05-09 by Harrison M, on Flickr

jubei, Milota95 and alee891 like this.
  5. Sep 11, 2016 at 7:34 PM
    TacoVio

TacoVio Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kolton
    CO/WY
    Vehicle:
    R.I.P '04 Roy Super White ^^
    '00 TRD, Greenbean!, Armor, lifted, Flatty, stuff.
    Truck looks badass man! Im diggin the Prerunner badge still on the truck :laugh:

6. Sep 11, 2016 at 7:35 PM
    YotaOverAll

YotaOverAll Backyard Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessie
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5
    3" Toytec spacers, Bilstein 5100s in the back with add a leaf and overloads removed.
    Sub'd for a sweet ride :cool:

7. Sep 12, 2016 at 2:17 AM
    malburg114

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    It's still a prerunner on paper so why not? Hahaha :evil::laugh:

Thanks man :thumbsup:

TacoVio[QUOTED] and alee891 like this.
  8. Sep 12, 2016 at 10:38 AM
    alee891

alee891 Destination: unknown

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    NoCo
    Vehicle:
    Tacomaless
    How's that work out for you as far as insurance? Reaping any benefits/discounts there??

9. Sep 12, 2016 at 4:33 PM
    malburg114

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Not really. Don't think I get any/much of a discount. Also doesn't help how young I am though. Pay an arm and a leg every month for it.

10. Sep 12, 2016 at 4:34 PM
    MatthewMay1

MatthewMay1 I'm an amateur professional.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    Really liking this truck the more and more I look at it. I love how it isn't jacked up sky high. If I did a SAS, I'd want this stance!

What led you to do springs in the front instead of linking it?

malburg114[OP] likes this.
  11. Sep 12, 2016 at 4:53 PM
    malburg114

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Haha thanks man. Works well for me and is fun to drive. I like the stance more and more but do wish it was just a few inches wider on each side. Probably be all I do for now. Getting a little to cluttered for my liking.

Lack of knowledge and funds lol. In all reality, my dad suggested the sas and I didn't know much to anything at all. I went into it with what i read and learned a ton along the way. Leafs seemed simole and cheap but it was no where near simple or cheap. The simplistic thought got tossed out the minute we started frenching all the Shackles and trying to get a low ride height. After just reading stuff I saw a few tacoma sas with coil springs and links. I would have liked to do that but I would have needed a wider axle to fit the coil springs cause I have no room now since I moved the leaf springs out even wider than stock. (Normally what they do for full size axles) plus my dad's jeep is on coil springs and he alresdy knows that but it's not the norm on tacomas and we didn't think anything of doing it.

All in all, doing it this way, it let me use all toyota parts (besides a few leafs) and it's how most other rigs are and what I knew/researched at the time.

Sorry for the novel and not sure if it make any sense lol :D if you have more questions, just ask away haha

12. Sep 12, 2016 at 5:01 PM
    MatthewMay1

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    Nice, I'd like to do a SAS to my truck after I graduate and can get a car for DDing. I like how you were able to use a Toyota front axle. Guess it just gives me the warm fuzzy feeling inside. Interesting that you had issues with the front end though. I thought that leafs were supposed to be a much more cost effective way to get it done.

Also, how do you like the Chevy 63's? I desperately need new springs in the rear and keep going back and forth between those and the Dakars. Part of me feels like I may not have the patience to do the install on the 63's. How did that go for you? And if you had to guess, how much did it cost?

13. Sep 12, 2016 at 5:48 PM
    malburg114

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Yeah I think my next move will be a DD if I can find one for the right price. Using a toyota axle was cool and makes it even better since its all toyota parts. Leafs are more cost effective on the pre tacoma trucks since they have a straight frame. The tacomas have a curve in them which means you have to notch the frame to mount the shackles or put them inboard of the frame. Which if you just do that, will put the truck sky high. So to prevent that, I used skys frenched hangers (http://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/collections/tacoma-suspension/products/taco-sasfsh-001) and they where costly and took a little time to notch the frame and make sure it was even on each side. I think it took me a day to do each. And remind you, those where the only pieces I really bought for the swap and mine is mostly custom one off parts for my truck. My budget mainly got tossed because of the 4wd swap and buying dual tcases with 2.28 and 4.7 gears and a front locker and some other stuff. The big items arent what cost the most, its all the small crap that adds up (brake lines, bolts, paint, etc.) IE: I spent $150.00 dollars on the bolts for the leaf spring hangers... Yeah wasnt a good day for me.

63s have been great. I think they are better than any other aftermarket springs if you can fabricate. Super simple swap. All i did was put the shackle on the rear to a 90 degree, marked where the front hanger went and I notched mine in so cut the frame and tacked them in then cycled it and adjusted ride height with springs and hanger length then set the bump stops and relocated shocks. I kind of regret notching the frame for them cause I feel I had to add more leafs to get the ride height I wanted. Just time consuming. Day at most though. I did make my own shackles with a spacer at the bottom so I could use the stock rear hanger. Lots of reading on that. That cost me the cost of springs (50 bucks at the local jy plus some other springs I had from the front) and steel and the bolts. So probably 80 bucks? Bump stops where triangle bumps off a pickup at the jy.

If you dont have the patience for the 63 swap, a sas will be hard. Its a ton of work to do yourself.

MatthewMay1[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Sep 12, 2016 at 5:51 PM
    malburg114

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    @MatthewMay1 Read pages 18 and 19 for all of the rear suspension talk and pictures. I think it covers it pretty well but defintley some grey areas.

EDIT: I still think leafs is still more cost effective. Links and heims are expensive and so are Coilovers but I think coil springs is right in the middle just less common. May be what I do if I ever link it

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    MatthewMay1 likes this.
  15. Sep 12, 2016 at 6:51 PM
    MatthewMay1

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    Wow, thanks for all that! I know a SAS is a ton of work, but I'm saying I don't know if I have the patience for the 63's while I'm still in school. We'll see. I'll go check out those pages now and see what I think. Maybe it'll be a summer project. Do you know anything about T100 springs?

Edit: After seeing you moved your front hangers 9 inches forward, I'm afraid I might have to cut my slider support if I do that.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  16. Sep 13, 2016 at 1:49 AM
    malburg114

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Don't really know anything about the t100 springs but another popular use is ford springs. Supposed to be just as good or better. And I used the stock shacll3 to get all my measurements and then switched to a 6 in shackle after all said and done. Roxanne gAve a ton of good info and I agree with him 100%

17. Sep 13, 2016 at 7:59 AM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    This x1000!! Dont do an sas for looks, the truck will handle like shit and become a maintenance hog. I recomend installing a crawlbox before a sas anyday, best bang for the buck mod hands down.

jubei and malburg114[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  18. Sep 13, 2016 at 9:59 AM
    malburg114

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Mine actually handles quite well on the road. Drive it about 50 miles a day to and from work on the highway and does fine. Not a speed demon and is pretty noisy with the exhaust, crawl box and tires but it's all apart of it. I do agree on the maintence. There's so much crap to watch now and check.

Or buy a jeep haha or an older toyota.

19. Sep 13, 2016 at 3:05 PM
    MatthewMay1

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    :facepalm: I guess y'all didn't take my statement how I intended it. I don't want to SAS for looks, and it's not that I don't want to do the work. I just don't think it's something I can take on until I'm out of college. I am however in desperate need of rear springs. That will probably be a christmas/summer break job.

20. Sep 13, 2016 at 3:19 PM
    malburg114

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    I follow you. A Sas takes time and money and waiting till you have thag is smart to do. The 63 Chevy swap could easily be done in a weekend if you have all the mounts and springs ready to go in. Put the springs in the shackle. Mark where the new hanger goes, tac it on, put only the main leaf In, cycle suspension and set bumps and set where shocks will go with new crossmember. Them weld it all up. I dropped the tank and pulled the bed off. Made it a lot easier to do the rear.

MatthewMay1 likes this.
To Top