1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

manual conversion

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Grizzly4x4, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Dec 11, 2017 at 9:22 AM
    Grizzly4x4

Grizzly4x4 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bh
    Vehicle:
    2011 grey Tacoma TRD
    4" in the front and 2" in the back
    is there any way to make a 4.0 2011 automatic tacoma a manual

2. Dec 11, 2017 at 11:52 AM
    dirtdigginjoe

dirtdigginjoe Resident meth-head

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    Paco The Turbo Taco
    GTX 3071r @8psi...
    There's always a way...the question is, do you have the money/time/know-how to accomplish it?

3. Dec 11, 2017 at 11:55 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    If you have to ask, it'll be easier and less of a headache to trade it or sell it and get one with a manual. Won't have to worry about any issues that might pop up from the swap as well.

BuddyS likes this.
  4. Dec 11, 2017 at 12:01 PM
    BuddyS

BuddyS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4 MT
    Yes. Step 1. Put your 2011 up on Craigslist...

Seriously... you could sell yours in a day, then start looking for a nice manual transmission model. Maybe even make the swap in a week without ever getting a speck of grease under a fingernail.

Plus, a DIY conversion is going to kill the resale value of your truck. No one will want to pay any real money for your project.

5. Dec 11, 2017 at 12:04 PM
    atompson

atompson Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tompson
    None.
    I did this once on a 65 mustang. Whole other world, though. You're talking about the ECU, instrument cluster, wiring harness, cruise control...

6. Dec 11, 2017 at 2:29 PM
    GDT

GDT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 access base 2.7l 5spd
    So, I'm not arguing that just selling the truck and buying one with a manual may be the best/easiest option, but is a transmission swap, from one oem option to another, assuming you don't cut corners, really so extreme that you'd destroy your resale value?

7. Dec 11, 2017 at 6:12 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Manual ecu, and the rest is nutz and boltz.

dirtdigginjoe likes this.
  8. Dec 12, 2017 at 5:32 AM
    BuddyS

BuddyS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4 MT
    In my eyes, yes. Assuming that everything in the conversion is PERFECT -- and that's a big if... everything works flawlessly mechanically, the dash and trim panels go back in without broken tabs, scuffs, scratches, the colors match right, there are no dash rattles or missing pieces, there are no CELs or traction control/ABS electronic issues -- then what happens when you take it to carmax to trade it in? It's going to come up as an AT and I'm guessing they won't touch it. Any smart dealer or private buyer running a VIN check will see the same thing. Because you'e going to have to swap instrument panels you're going to have an odometer discrepancy statement on the title, so that's another big concern for any buyer. And if they ask who did it, how comfortable are they going to be when you say "me and my buddies did it ourselves"? Or are you going to have a stack of receipts showing that it was professionally done?

I'm guessing 95% of buyers would pass on your converted truck in favor of something stock, unmolested, and well cared for. Not to many people want to buy a project car that's flying more red flags than the Chinese capital building.

llibrm and GDT[QUOTED] like this.
  9. Dec 12, 2017 at 11:57 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    So do you buy stuff for you, or someone else?

10. Dec 12, 2017 at 12:36 PM
    BuddyS

BuddyS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4 MT
    For myself, but also with the idea/hope that I'm not completely pissing my money away. There's a cost/benefit to consider in everything.

11. Dec 12, 2017 at 3:25 PM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    On a 4x4, it's more than a transmission, ECU, and nuts & bolts. There's also the transfer case as the input shaft is, I believe, different. Then there's the interior items: instrument cluster is different, center console, pedals, clutch cancel switch, etc... Verify the driveshafts are the same length as they, typically, are different too. Can you cobble something together and get a manual in there? Sure but, to do it correctly so that it is as a manual came from the factory, it's much more involved.

12. Dec 13, 2017 at 6:29 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    All of which are held together by nuts and bolts. Cap'n obvious. :plane:

13. Dec 13, 2017 at 9:12 AM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    You forgot the wire plugs and snap clips for the trim... :D

Torspd[QUOTED] likes this.