1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

*Manual Hubs Question: Please Help!!*

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 96taco4x4, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Sep 12, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    96taco4x4

96taco4x4 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austen
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    96 SAS Taco
    Hey everyone, i bought my truck used (96 2.7L 4wd) and the previous owner had rigged the stock manual hubs to where theyre always "locked" , so i purchased Warn premiums and i need help, because i believe i may be missing parts, so my question is, what all hardware do i need to bolt the cv axle to the hub itself, i have what appears to be a 13mm bolt, and a washer, something obviously isnt right because i can move my cv in and out a good couple inches

Thank you

2. Sep 12, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    yoTaco98

yoTaco98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Yo
    VA
    Vehicle:
    1998 V6 Xtra-Cab Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    5100's Front and Rears, Toytec Eibach Coils, All Pro 3" Standard Leafs, BAMF BPV Bracket, ARMA Sprayed Bedliner, TGD Hunter Bull Bar, Blacked-out Headlights and Corners, Revtek 1" Diff Drop, Start Command Remote Start and Keyless Entry, Pioneer DEH-11E HU...
    I saw in the parts catalog that there was a screw in there, but mine did not have a screw inside the screwed into the axle.

All I had was the a snap ring and washer holding the cv axle in place inside the hub. Then the hub its self locked washer and snap ring together.

3. Sep 12, 2011 at 6:20 PM
    96taco4x4

96taco4x4 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austen
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    96 SAS Taco
    Yea i read depending on the year, you will either have the snap ring and washer set up or a bolt, but i have to have some sort of spacer or washer, i have tried using grd 8 washers but then when i tighten everything down the cv axle doesnt move back and fourth anymore, but now rotates with the wheels (in the unlocked position on the hub) ...im lost:confused:

4. Sep 12, 2011 at 6:42 PM
    yoTaco98

yoTaco98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Yo
    VA
    Vehicle:
    1998 V6 Xtra-Cab Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    5100's Front and Rears, Toytec Eibach Coils, All Pro 3" Standard Leafs, BAMF BPV Bracket, ARMA Sprayed Bedliner, TGD Hunter Bull Bar, Blacked-out Headlights and Corners, Revtek 1" Diff Drop, Start Command Remote Start and Keyless Entry, Pioneer DEH-11E HU...
    This may be hard to explain, but the hub has two components.

The front section has the dial/switch. When you turn the dial, the spring loaded lock on the back side collapses, and locks the hub.

Depending on how the rear spring lock is set, it will default your hub to locked or free wheel. You may want to try to change that around.

I know that when I was replacing my wheel hubs, one of my hubs came a part. When I put it back together, the rear lock was backwards, and my wheel remained locked. I had to remove the other side and copy the reassembly.

Maybe this will help?

5. Sep 13, 2011 at 1:25 AM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Yeah you have a snap ring thats why you cant move it,
    remove that bolt with the gold washer remove the cone lockwashers (pain in the ass and pull the body off so you can get to that snap ring)
    and remove the cv and pull apart the hub,
    watch out when you pull apart the dial for the ball bearing on the side you will not be a happy camper if you lose it.

pm me if you need more help I can walk ya through it and send pics if you need

To Top