1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manual or Auto w/ Truck Camper?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by romaso, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Jan 5, 2010 at 12:27 PM
    romaso

romaso [OP] New Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5
    Would y’all suggest a manual or automatic transmission? I plan to carry a truck camper, and fully loaded I’ll be close to the maximum payload (luckily my wife is skinny). I currently have a 4 cyl, regular cab 4WD.

I’ve never owned an automatic, but it seems I might get better mileage with the computer shifting, as I’d be likely to cruise at high rpms to compensate for the load.

However, I’ve also read here that some autos have trouble ‘searching’ for gears. I’m in mountainous country here, so that’s a factor also.

I plan to keep the truck forever, so if the weight would wear out the auto trans faster, I’d be better off with a manual. I’ve heard that auto trannys these days are built so well that they’re often cheaper in the long run, rather than replacing clutches, but I have no experience with them. Thanks!

2. Jan 5, 2010 at 3:57 PM
    kbaum08

kbaum08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    US of A
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road dbl cab 4x4 barcelona red
    Jason Topper, Bed Rug, Weather Tech floor liners, Garmin Nuvi 760, Scan Guage, Trd exhaust, AFE dry air filter, shrockworks rock sliders, heated seats Katzkin leather, 2+ inch OME lift shocks etc heavy duty, ARB front bumper, Warn winch, Pia lights, rocktek rear bumper, locking tailgate,
    Auto with tow package would be my suggestion. Can you even get that in a 4 cylinder?

3. Jan 5, 2010 at 4:09 PM
    Crom

Crom Outside...

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Overland Build
    Millions
    My advice is to test drive one and see for yourself. Also, I'd opt for the auto. Some of the 09 and 10 auto's had issues with the searching of gears, mine did not. Toyota did release a software optimization update to fix that.

Did you know that if you add the tow package with the auto tranny, it will include a cooler for the tranny and oil?

To Top