1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

manual or automatic, which do you prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by 2004TacomaSR5, May 3, 2011.

?

manual or automatic?

1. manual transmission

60.5%
  2. automatic transmission

39.5%
  1. May 4, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Young cats say stick, old cats say auto... !!!

2. May 4, 2011 at 7:36 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I voted : This thread is pointless

3. May 4, 2011 at 7:37 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    I have to be able to enjoy my coffee without shifting.....been there, done that.

4. May 4, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    ExpoSpy

ExpoSpy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Temecula
    I love both. I learned to drive on a '88 Toy p/u manual that was probably the funnest experience from then on I owned manuals starting with a '97 Taco then I became a driver for my company and after 10 years and over 350,000 miles I still loved the control you have with manual. I also had a 1st gen 5spd 4x and that performed rather well I loved the fact that if u goo into trouble to was super easy to downshift an get out of trouble quickly. As for those who say traffic with a manual sucks, yes it does but esp living in So. Cal. Now I have a 2nd gen and it's nice having a manual but I definitely miss the extra control that I had with manual. The "gated" shifted of the auto doesn't work as well as a true manual. So I'm slightly torn btwn the 2. I am slowly getting used to the auto. But not a total fan.

5. May 4, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Old monkeys say stick.

6. May 4, 2011 at 9:06 AM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    I just like manuals. The 5sp on 2.7 is pretty smooth and delivers good road feel.

7. May 4, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    wyotaco06

wyotaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Offroad 4x4 06
    I love driving a manual trans, my older subarus, ford 150s, exploder, and many work trucks were stick. Was set on getting the 6-speed on the tacoma until I test drove one. I didnt like how it looked like something out of a honda civic, I like my sticks big n long in a truck:D And I hated the way the RPM's hung instead of dropping when pushing in the clutch, downshifting from 2nd to first was impossible unless stopped(though this could have been from it being brand new??) This was in 06, and now that I have read about all the problems these manual trans have had I am so glad I decided to get the auto.

Wish the auto had a damn dipstick but oh well. The cruise control is shitty if you drive on roads that have even the slightest hills, way to much unneeded shifting and that can drive me nuts.

But I LOVE how it will lock up when going up steep grades. Most auto trannys seem to shift up and down as you give it less/more gas when climbing passes but this one will hold the gear even when less gas is given...Hard to explain but I LOVE THIS about the auto, I hate ones that seek gears constantly. Love offroading with this auto as well.

Oh yeah, and I love how some people think only "real men" drive sticks and only "real trucks" are manual trans, this cracks me up!!:)

8. May 4, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    You forgot about the part about real trucks only have 2 doors! :p

9. May 4, 2011 at 3:03 PM
    wyotaco06

wyotaco06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Offroad 4x4 06
    Yeah, damn access cab and its ability to cram my buddies, guns, gear, dogs and shit in the back...(I LOVE cramming my buds back there, especially the tall ones:D) No one can bitch about a free ride I guess, hehe. I really do like the standard cab 2.7 tacomas though. Nice short wheelbase+4x4 kick ass. Damn you Toyota for not putting the v6 in those trucks!!!!

Real men get the biggest engine possible for their trucks, cause real men like to burn gas and go fast DAMMIT!!!

10. May 4, 2011 at 4:02 PM
    Nightfury

Nightfury Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Factory running boards, Toyota (DeeZee built) toolbox, Code Alarm 5152 remote starter, Bronze TRD rims, more to come....
    I have no beef with automatics, especially the auto's of today which are ridiculously reliable, have a higher resale value and are easier to find, with a lower maintenance cost and give higher fuel economy than their manual counterparts.

But call me old school, I'll always have my manual transmission. I love having my clutch, and won't give it up until I am forced to.

On the manhood complex, real men don't give a fuck what other's think about them, so they do whatever they want (which is whatever their wife/girlfriend tells them to).

11. May 4, 2011 at 4:03 PM
    dan0

dan0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    swamplands of sc
    Vehicle:
    Sold 2011 Prerunner Doublecab 4cyl auto
    Auto
    while sticks can be fun, my well used abused busted up and poorly put back together left leg preffers an auto.

12. May 4, 2011 at 4:04 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that

:laughing:

13. May 4, 2011 at 4:16 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    I don't know if this has been mentioned, but once the automatic's torque converter lockout hits, it becomes direct drive anyways. I had more than my share of manuals-it's mostly for younger folks. Older folks tend to grow tired of these things:) you all will be my age someday God willing, and nahnahnahnananahh:D so shut up.

14. May 4, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    TRDChris

TRDChris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    La Puente
    Vehicle:
    5 lugger
    H.I.D 6000K, 5% tint all around, black on blacked out rims(sprayed stock rims), fog light mod, deckplate mod, plastidipped bumper and interior, self made eyelids, window visors, clear corners, Billet grille, trd grill emblem
    I couldnt agree with you more... nice choice I have the same tacoma as you :D

15. May 4, 2011 at 5:16 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    funner

Lol

16. May 5, 2011 at 4:37 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    Much mo funner! :p

17. May 5, 2011 at 8:34 PM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    Does the new 5 speed have as many troubles as the 6 speed?

18. May 5, 2011 at 8:46 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    I dont know about problems, but I had an 06 TRD 6 speed and now a 2010 5 spd. The 5 spd is so much more solid - thats for sure

19. May 5, 2011 at 8:48 PM
    DirtyTacos

DirtyTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dino
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4
    I wish i had a Manual!!!!

20. May 5, 2011 at 8:51 PM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    Thanks!!! That's what I wanted to know :D

Products Discussed in

To Top