1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manual or Automatic

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by VixTacom, Aug 22, 2009.

?

Which do you like better?

Poll closed Nov 20, 2009.
  1. Manual

58.1%
  2. Automatic

43.6%
  1. Oct 18, 2009 at 12:47 PM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    no, no questions sir!

2. Oct 18, 2009 at 12:48 PM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    no:cool:
    manual= straight
    automatic= gay
    manual 4 life (or unles they stop making tacos with the manual option):eek:

3. Oct 18, 2009 at 12:49 PM
    t-com09

t-com09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 single cab 4x4 sr5
    Bilstien 5100's yellow foglights toolbox pop n' lock
    exactly

4. Oct 18, 2009 at 8:50 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I also like the manuals, but am glad I got the automatic this time around...smooth as silk.

5. Nov 17, 2009 at 3:48 AM
    Auto

Auto Well-Known Member

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD SR5
    None Yet Some Coming Soon
    Manual. I looked for my truck for months because I was not going to settle for the V6 with an auto in it. Having a CDL A and driving over the road I understand why a manual trans is more efficient as well as much more controllable. Besides didn’t they make auto’s for women and sissy’s JK.

6. Nov 17, 2009 at 3:53 AM
    FirstCohort

FirstCohort Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DC LB 4x4 BSP
    WeatherTech Vent visors, access soft roll-up bed cover, factory side steps, factory bed mat, weathertech floorliner fore and aft, tinted front windows- State legal 50% : (
    Auto, wife can't drive manual. She loves this truck so much we are going to get a second when our other vehicle is paid off. That will be mine and manual will be my choice.

7. Nov 17, 2009 at 3:55 AM
    Auto

Auto Well-Known Member

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD SR5
    None Yet Some Coming Soon
    My wife can drive manual she drive my truck as well as my 01 6sp SS Camaro that runs 12.40 in the quarter.

8. Nov 17, 2009 at 9:11 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    C'mon... you are going to bring up Nascar as a "real" car? You wanna talk real cars and driving let's talk F1 where they have paddle shifting, which is much more automatic than manual in my mind.

I'm not going to deny you guys that prefer manual trans that it's inferior. For real driving a manual is the way to go. But this is a Tacoma, not a performance vehicle. If I spent a lot of time towing or offroad, yes, I'd want a manual. For a vehicle that is transportation primarily, give me an auto. In fact, if they made an option where I could push a button and it would take me where I wanted to go, I'd get that.

9. Nov 17, 2009 at 9:13 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    And this has what to do with a Tacoma? Nothing. Not even the same galaxy.

Listen, I drive a sport bike about 15k miles a year. Would I want an auto trans? No. On a Tacoma, it's a different story.

10. Nov 17, 2009 at 9:33 AM
    mak90

mak90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road 6 spd
    TRD Exhaust, TSB springs,Weathertech mats,Bed mat, Wet Okole seat covers, TRD Pro Suspension
    Manual, last 3 toyota trucks have been manual. When i got my 06 i did not think i would be able to find one took a long time looking. When i did the sale's guy was shocked that i wanted a manual.

11. Nov 17, 2009 at 10:04 AM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    It has nothing to do with a Tacoma, you're right.

It has everything to do with the "Manuals are for poor people"

I'm pretty sure people who drive Aston Martins, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, etc, with the proper transmission (manual) are not poor.

12. Nov 17, 2009 at 10:51 AM
    c-slak

c-slak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    5100's all around, 265/75/16 BFG ATKO's on MB Razor's, short shift, clutch mod, tsb springs, tsb aal
    Maual for me, didn't like the feel of it at first. The 6 speed had too long of a shift, fixed that with URD short shift. Clutch pedal had too much travel, shortened that up. Now I love it. As far as traffic jams go, yeah, it's a pain, but when I get out into the desert being able to control my gears is so much more fun. I didn't buy a truck for "basic transportation"! If you want basic transportation maybe consider something that gets better than 18 MPG! Also rock crawling is so much more challenging with a stick that I have a shit eating grin on my face the whole time! The gears are so low you can be at an almost perfect stop and will not stall! Clutch be damned! I can replace that if I need to. For the fun factor I vote 6-speed!

13. Nov 17, 2009 at 11:07 AM
    tacoterra

tacoterra Batang SMB

Member:
    South NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 T4runner TE
    Manual.and you dont have to worry about your tacoma acceleration issue.manual+catback exhaust=:mudding:

14. Nov 17, 2009 at 3:22 PM
    mas32259

mas32259 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NEPA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 TRD Sport
    TRD short throw shifter, Eibach 1.6" lift coils 5100's on all corners, Ipod interface, Painted engine cover, radiator cover, skid plate, speaker grills overhead console, and added carbon fiber and chrome interior trim (Too much cheap plastic) TRD cat back, LED 3rd brake light. 100 lbs of sound deadner. Infinity ref. 6 1/2 all around. OBX pedals and shifter. DTRL mod, Alt. turn signal mod, LED's in glove box and console, LED's under dash lip and back A/C vent,Weather Tech mats. Took off antenea for wind noise

Never saw a paddle shifter as an option. As far as manual trans is for poor people? If you drive a $30,000 truck that will never get 20 mpg I do belive you are not poor. This is my 10th new vehicle. All my trucks were manual and cars all auto. My other car is a Avalon Touring with all options available. you guessed it automatic. BTW It's all real driving............and my tractor is auto.

15. Nov 17, 2009 at 5:35 PM
    Dane-Taco

Dane-Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justus
    Wasilla, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Doublecab 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100s set at 0, OME 886 coils, Camburg Ball-Joint UCAs, 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17x9 Moto Metal 957s, 2" Tuff Country AALs, SX8000 Gas Shocks (Rear), Homemade Satoshi Grill, Redline Hood Struts, Locker Anytime Mod, Map Light Mod, Diff Breather Mod, Fog Lights Anytime Mod, Extra Bed D-Rings, Sock's Badges and Decals, PIAA 520's, Illuminated 4x4 Switch Mod
    Manual Transmissions!! I am surprised to see a lot of people saying they would rather an auto while off-roading!? I would only prefer an auto while in traffic or while turning and trying to drink my coffee in the morning!!

16. Nov 17, 2009 at 5:35 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    Well, this is my 1st automatic vehicle. I got it because I wanted to tow stuff. And it does a great job at that.. no worry about burning clutch on hills, etc..

Also the auto is great when sitting in stop and go traffic.

The automatic in my 07 is pretty smart in it's shifting decisions, and I love being able to manually 'down-shift' it.. helpful on steep downgrades, or up and down roads.

The automatic transmission also seems to be very quiet compared to the manual; a lot less cabin noise. The manual in the newer Tacos seems to make a whinny sound.

Man, off road the automatic really shines. Try shifting while being smacked around on rough terrain.. sometimes I even hit my head and my arms come off the steering wheel altogether. Or, going through deep sand.

Anyway, in most situations the automatic wins for me. Of course it comes at the cost of about 3mpg. To me it's worth it!

17. Nov 17, 2009 at 5:48 PM
    Dane-Taco

Dane-Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justus
    Wasilla, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Doublecab 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100s set at 0, OME 886 coils, Camburg Ball-Joint UCAs, 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17x9 Moto Metal 957s, 2" Tuff Country AALs, SX8000 Gas Shocks (Rear), Homemade Satoshi Grill, Redline Hood Struts, Locker Anytime Mod, Map Light Mod, Diff Breather Mod, Fog Lights Anytime Mod, Extra Bed D-Rings, Sock's Badges and Decals, PIAA 520's, Illuminated 4x4 Switch Mod
    You are definitely right about the sand!!! ...So that also would be one of the few reasons I would prefer an auto

18. Nov 17, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    c-slak

c-slak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    5100's all around, 265/75/16 BFG ATKO's on MB Razor's, short shift, clutch mod, tsb springs, tsb aal
    I agree about the sand too an extent. I love the ability to hold gears with the manual. When Im offroading I am really not concerned with keeping the revs down so holding a gear in the upper part of the rev range is just fine with me. Same with bouncing around when Im doing some bumpy crawling. If Im bouncing around bad enough to not be able to shift properly, I probably shouldn't be speeding up enough to have to shift.

In the sand if you are losing considerable momentum you probably aren't shifting fast enough. There is a little bog but not much. I had to tow a friends s10 zr2 out of a dried out river bed because his auto trans was overheating. I was still able to shift quickly enough to not lose momentum with an additional 4000 lbs behind me. Granted It was some really deep sand and I had to use low gear but I think you get my point. If I were going to set up a truck for swamping through 3 feet of mud, my guess is an auto would work much better because shifting would lose all of your momentum. In my experience spinning tires in mud keeps you moving forward, spinning in sand tends to dig straight down and get you stuck. Luckily, not too much mud in AZ!

Just one guys opinion.;)

19. Nov 17, 2009 at 7:10 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    Manual
    just cause I like to rev the snot out of stuff :D

and heck anymore, having a manual could be considered and anti theft device couldn't it?

20. Nov 17, 2009 at 9:10 PM
    newbtaco

newbtaco Active Member

Member:
    3" Fab lift,with a 3" body lift, AEM cold air, Stereo system.
    I'm going to be getting a automatic, all my cars I have owned were manual and its time for a change.

Products Discussed in

To Top