1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manual Tranny-clutch gone ????

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by marcom13, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Mar 5, 2009 at 3:21 PM
    marcom13

marcom13 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey all,
    I've got a problem with my 2001 taco sr5 standard tranny. I was almost home when I put the clutch in and down shifted but the pedal never returned, had to shut off ther engine to stop. Once off, I put it in neutral and started it up again and pedal came up and was able to put it in gear but then pedal did not return again.
    Can anyone help me out, I'm not a mechanic but I don't think it's the pressure plate but rather something hydraulic.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, money is tight and if I can fix it, that would be great.
    Thanks,
    Emmett

2. Mar 5, 2009 at 4:03 PM
    ubermx5

ubermx5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Clara CA
    Vehicle:
    98 2.4 5 speed
    K&N Air filter
    Look at the Clutch fluid reservore...
    See if it has fluid.

If it is does not follow the hard metal line to the slave and see if it wet.
    If you can find the leak you can fix it... but this will take some tools and work.

Easy to do, but will requite some things.

3. Mar 5, 2009 at 4:41 PM
    marcom13

marcom13 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey,
    Ist, Thanks for your reply! If the resevoir is the fat tube next to the brake master, with a press on rubber cap(probably a lousy description) I checked that and it's full to the top. This reservoir seems to line up with where the clutch pedal piston goes thru the fire wall.
    I figured if the pressure plate was busted, I wouldn't be able to activate the clutch on restart, but that is what I can do but then the pedal's on the floor and will not disengage the tranny, have to shut it down and restart in neutral.
    Any thoughts would be most appreciated. I must be gettin old, twenty years ago I'd already have stuff torn apart---NY in winter--just too damn cold and no garage.
    Thanks again.
    Emmett

4. Mar 5, 2009 at 5:44 PM
    dihilles

dihilles Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5
    i had that same problem with my 1995 tacoma a couple years ago. one of the reubber seals inside the clutch master (resorvoir thing you described above) was torn, so i changed the entire master cylinder. pretty easy and cheap. hope that helps

5. Mar 5, 2009 at 6:17 PM
    marcom13

marcom13 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi, Thanks for the reply. The reservoir is a plastic cylinder with a removable rubber top, but is that where the piston is that provides the presssure when you push in the clutch pedal??
    When you replaced it, did you have to bleed air out like you would for the brake system???
    Thanks,
    Emmett

6. Mar 5, 2009 at 6:38 PM
    dihilles

dihilles Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5
    under the plastic cylinder with the rubber top there is an aluminum housing where the piston is located. there are a couple bolts that hold the master onto the firewall. you would have to disconnect the clutch pedal inside the cab and remove those botls like i said. after installing the new master jus bleed the system from the line going into the tranny.

7. Mar 5, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    marcom13

marcom13 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey, You're the best! I managed to find the toyota tacoma service manual on line and it shows the master cyclinder and the slave or release cylinder. I will go to my local toyo dealer tomorrow and check on parts availability if they don't, I have an on line site with free shipping. I'll find out what kind of fluid is used and where I drain the system to get the air out. Thank you, you really got me feeling better about doing this, my friend says I can use his garage and I'll put some heaters there and maybe I can do this. You've given me a bit of the old confidence back. How critical is the need for a torque wrench is my last question.
    Thanks again.
    Emmett

8. Mar 5, 2009 at 7:05 PM
    dihilles

dihilles Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    1998 SR5
    no need for it, just use your regular 3/8 drive socket wrench

9. Mar 7, 2009 at 12:29 AM
    marcom13

marcom13 [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for all your help. I went to pick up parts and the toyota mechanic said that the 2001 tend to break at the bracket that holds the clutch pedal. I had some trouble with the bolt coming loose that held the pedal bracket but I tightened it and haven't thought about it since. Now I've got another thing to check.
    Once again, Thank you for all you help and encouragement.
    Emmett

Products Discussed in

To Top