1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manual Transmission clunking in neutral going over bumps

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Yzkiley, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Jul 26, 2016 at 2:53 PM
    Yzkiley

Yzkiley [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Tacoma Sport DCSB MT
    rain guards, hood deflector, oem tonneau, BFG ko2's, led lightbar behind grill, highlift jack mount side rail, husky Xact front & rear mats, bedrug, AFE cold air intake with scoop, TB spacer, Spec U exhaust, Hikari - lumileds Led's, any time backup cam and gps, OV tune 103B, TRD pro grille, Cali raised pod fog lights, ECGS needle bearing, Bilstein 5100's, Low range offroad 3-1 level kit, SPC light racing ctrl arms, spidertraxx 1.25in spacers, Ride right airbags, clazzio seat covers, carrier bearing spacer, diff drop spacer.....
    Not sure if this is normal.If I go over speed bumps in neutral I hear a clunk like metal on metal. It sounds like the driveshaft because sometimes I hear it when shifting from first to second. Is this normal and has anyone else experienced this noise? Its more annoying than anything. I took it to the dealer and they have confirmed hearing it.

2. Jul 26, 2016 at 2:55 PM
    smitty99

smitty99 I also bought a 4Runner

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDORDCSB 4x4 A/T (loaded w/ JBL)
    6112s/5160s & 3-leaf AAL;ubolt flip kit;Superbumps
  3. Jul 27, 2016 at 8:45 AM
    bobrown14

bobrown14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    Gen 3
    bunch of stuff - Bro Pro style
    yes - going over any bumps/pot holes with clutch depressed I hear it. Yeah sounds like the drive shaft bouncing around! It's more worrisome to me than annoying really.

4. Jul 27, 2016 at 8:52 AM
    BeaverNation

BeaverNation Well-Known Member

Member:
    All manual toyotas do this

DaveInDenver and numbah57 like this.
  5. Jul 27, 2016 at 9:56 AM
    jeffmansion

jeffmansion Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16UTILITY4x4MT2.7
    K&N 63 series CAI, AVS Vent Visors, 16x8 Level 8 MK6 Rims, 285/75/16 MT, Eibach Pro lift, JBA UCAs, Wheelers 3leaf AAL, RokBloks XL mud flaps, DV8 skidplate, Westin bedmat, Backrack, swaybar delete, Magnaflow cat-back, 9Drive throttle controller, 2LO Mod, Cali Raised Sliders, Tyger rear bumper, Avid front bumper guard.
    I have not noticed this with mine..? but maybe i just havent payed attention to it. One thing I can say is when truck is cold first thing in the morning the shift from 1st to 2nd gear isnt super smooth and a bit rough, fine once it warms up. I also only have 1600 miles so far on the truck.

6. Jul 27, 2016 at 10:03 AM
    dunkindonuts

dunkindonuts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Out in the Willie wacks
    Vehicle:
    2016 sport dcsb M/T
    Lol I'm literally sitting at Toyota for the 5k service and complained about that same issue. They told me to make a service appointment and come back for diagnosing. :facepalm:It's on a friggen lift in the shop right now and they can't look at it...

SandyTaco4x4 likes this.
  7. Jul 27, 2016 at 10:03 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Why would you be in neutral going over speed bumps, why not coast over them in gear?

At least that would eliminate having to hear the noise. I have a manual 04 and haven't heard it before, but I don't put it in neutral unless maybe I'm coasting to a stop or already at a stop.

8. Jul 27, 2016 at 10:08 AM
    Doggman

Doggman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR MT
    Normal characteristic of manual transmissions.

9. Jul 27, 2016 at 10:19 AM
    dunkindonuts

dunkindonuts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Out in the Willie wacks
    Vehicle:
    2016 sport dcsb M/T
    I have a stop sign at the corner of my house. After i stop I accelerate to the point of shifting into second but I'm already at my driveway so I put it in neutral. I have a rain/ flood barrier at the entrance to my driveway that is similar to a speed bump. That's where I hear it. It's like a clank

eon_blue[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jul 27, 2016 at 10:23 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Makes sense, I realized after posting what I did that you could be coasting to a stop sign or light and going over a bump so yeah...makes sense.

I've never heard it before which is odd because I'm usually very attuned to the sounds and feel of my truck. Not sure I want to hear it because it will likely bug the hell out of me lol.

11. Jul 27, 2016 at 10:32 AM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    I've had a few and, yup, they kind of do. None of them were brand new so I just chalked it up to worn out u-joints/bearings/springs/motor mounts/whatever. Some of my trucks had 300K and 400K (estimated on 5 digit odometer) on their drivetrains, so whatever causes it is probably nothing to worry about.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    Yzkiley[OP] likes this.
  12. Jul 27, 2016 at 10:47 AM
    cosmicfires

cosmicfires Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Regular Cab SR5 4cyl 5speed 4x4
    Snugtop cab high canopy.
    Bring it in if any big parts fall off.

13. Jul 27, 2016 at 10:51 AM
    bobrown14

bobrown14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    Gen 3
    bunch of stuff - Bro Pro style
    I don't always push the clutch in when there's bumps or potholes or speed bumps but sometimes it happens that way. I live in a state that thinks paved roads are an option.. whatever.

Push clutch in, hit a bump ... clank goes the drive line. Sounds like something is going to break... I told my dealership about it when I was in for my oil change and they said I'd have to bring it back again for them to look at the rattle... I don't hear it in 4wd-lo when shifting and off road!!??

Yzkiley[OP] likes this.
  14. Jul 27, 2016 at 12:20 PM
    mightiestmouse

mightiestmouse Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have the same noise coming from mine. Got under the truck during the first week of ownership and could essentially replicate the sound by rotating the driveshaft by hand back and forth pretty quick. Almost sounded like there was a bit of play within the gears where the driveshaft connects to the transfer case (I believe the correct term might be "gear backlash"). While driving, the noise only occurs when the truck is in neutral going over bumps that cause a jolt to the truck (speedbump, pothole...etc). With the truck in gear, I believe the engine RPM doesn't allow the driveshaft to play within the gears as it has a torque being applied to the system keeping the gears meshed properly.

15. Jul 27, 2016 at 1:03 PM
    Yzkiley

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    rain guards, hood deflector, oem tonneau, BFG ko2's, led lightbar behind grill, highlift jack mount side rail, husky Xact front & rear mats, bedrug, AFE cold air intake with scoop, TB spacer, Spec U exhaust, Hikari - lumileds Led's, any time backup cam and gps, OV tune 103B, TRD pro grille, Cali raised pod fog lights, ECGS needle bearing, Bilstein 5100's, Low range offroad 3-1 level kit, SPC light racing ctrl arms, spidertraxx 1.25in spacers, Ride right airbags, clazzio seat covers, carrier bearing spacer, diff drop spacer.....
    I only tried it in neutral because I heard it faintly in first gear when going over. Also depends on the type of speed bump. Sometime I roll up to the bump in second and rather than going to first I sometimes coast over it in neutral while braking then go to first after clearing it or back to second depending on speed.

16. Jul 27, 2016 at 1:09 PM
    Yzkiley

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Sounds like a normal characteristic then. Dealer said he would try a brand new MT off the lot and confirm before my appointment. Its annoying at most and if normal I can live with it. Just thought it was weird as I dont ever recall hearing this on other mt that ive owned. I have an old 96 Rav4 as well and it doesnt do this when going over bumps and its got 258,000 km's on it. However it does have independent suspension.

17. Aug 15, 2016 at 4:14 PM
    Yzkiley

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Update, sound is normal as dealer duplicated sound by trying a brand new manual tacoma on the lot. He gave me a service sheet and said it has been documented and to keep an eye on it.

18. Aug 15, 2016 at 4:52 PM
    sebastien poirier 1989

sebastien poirier 1989 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sebastien
    Vehicle:
    tacoma mt
    my truck is doing the same thing and the dealer did the same thing and said the same thing....but my dad old ford ranger is not doing the same thing lol

19. Sep 7, 2016 at 6:52 PM
    Yzkiley

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Update: Had some Firestone ride rite airbags installed with Daystar cups today and low and behold the clunking is gone when going over bumps in neutral. Not sure if the airbags are cushioning the rearend or the drive angle is changed due to lifting the rear 3/4 inch or if dropping and putting the spare tire back was the cause. Happy its gone, anyone else with a manual and getting clunking should probably start with checking the spare tire under the truck.

mackay and bobrown14 like this.
  20. Jul 3, 2018 at 11:32 PM
    mackay

mackay i love cheap beer!

Member:
    SLC, UT
    OME 881 ARB Bummper/XRC OME Dakars
    2018 trd off road with 9000 miles.

Been doing this since day one. Seems to be getting louder. Dealer told me it was the gear shift...it's not. Sounds like the shaft is rattling in the carrier. Noise can be replicated by hand. Drives me insane when on dirt roads. My 2000 MT has never had such noises.

Glad I am not the only one loosing my mind...

bobrown14 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top