1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manual transmission Fan Club and BS thread (All Generations Welcome)

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by nevadabugle, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Mar 24, 2017 at 6:16 AM
    Dannyblues

Dannyblues Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    New Milford Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD sport 4x4 double cab black
    weather tech mats, mud flaps, black side rail step, cargo bed liner, roll up cargo bed cover, wheel locks towing package

Is the speed shifter you mentioned the shorter TRD shifter? Does it really shift faster and more accurately than the stock 2016 manual six speed?

My TRD is the slowest shifting manual I've ever owned. Long clutch travel. Long shift pattern and of course six rather than the five or even four I've been used to from the past.

Also reverse should be parallel with second not first. It's just unnatural to shift forward to go backward.

In the past the five speeds I've had put reverse kind of where sixth would be but off to an angle. That too was difficult to rock the vehicle from first to reverse and back etc. Dannyblues

2. Mar 24, 2017 at 6:19 AM
    Dannyblues

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    New Milford Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    weather tech mats, mud flaps, black side rail step, cargo bed liner, roll up cargo bed cover, wheel locks towing package
    I disagree but respect your opinion. It's your truck. Drive it any way that makes you happy. I wish I was a better mechanic or engineer so I could illustrate this topic more intelligently. Thanks for the post. Dannyblues

3. Mar 24, 2017 at 6:20 AM
    Dannyblues

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    New Milford Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    Are we talking about manual transmissions here? Dannyblues

4. Mar 24, 2017 at 7:03 AM
    Dannyblues

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    New Milford Connecticut
    Vehicle:

Strongly agree. In fact today across the globe the manual transmission beats the automatic in popularity by 52 to 48%. Dannyblues

5. Mar 24, 2017 at 7:08 AM
    Dannyblues

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    New Milford Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    I've always thought so too. I understand the great features of today's automatics: faster, better mpg and which any idiot can't point and drive. The auto tacomas have the remote start and crawl control. But for me I love the driving experience and full control a manual offers.

I had an automatic Tacoma loaner twice. Hated it!! It's constantly searching for gears and your in high gear too soon like when you see a wall of stopped traffic ahead and the damned thing is still upshifting. Plus my manual positively drives smoother. I shift less than the auto and my shifts are seamless. Dannyblues

6. Mar 24, 2017 at 7:19 AM
    Dannyblues

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    New Milford Connecticut
    Vehicle:

Me too but not in comparison to your area of the country. I live on state road 109 at the far end of new Milford Connecticut and our road is the most infamous road in this state. We live in litchfield hills. ( not mountains ). But the road has steep winding roads and curves that are banked the wrong way. I know because I also ride an 88 Harley superglide and am always concerned about hitting my foot pegs etc. So I understand about the brake replacement issue. I put my TRD in second and let engine compression keep me rolling safely downhill at 30 mph while the woman behind me in her automatic SUV is leaning on the brakes. Bikers from all over come here on weekends in summer just to drive this and other local roads in old dairy farm country. Dannyblues

7. Mar 24, 2017 at 9:28 AM
    specter208

specter208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD SPORT ACLB w/ 6MT TRUCK WHITE
    TOYOTA OEM: Cast Aluminum Running Boards Mud Guards Bed Mat All-Weather Floor Liner NIssan Frontier Sliding Bed Extender
    Toyota Would be wise to continue selling Manuals for the duration of 3rd Gen and into the 4th Gen. As well as adding an Affordable diesel option or turbo charged engine.

8. Mar 24, 2017 at 10:11 AM
    W8N41

W8N41 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLBOR QS
    I went to a dealer in the Houston TX area to order a truck...and he had already ordered it. It arrives next week. And I had some issues that prevent me from purchasing it, even if I wanted to.

Tacoma Pro. Stick shift. Cement.

PM if your interested I'll give you an inside scoop!

nevadabugle[OP] likes this.
  9. Mar 24, 2017 at 11:55 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road Premium 4Runner Lunar Rock
    Only worth it if the would do an even swap with my 17. Love the cement color, but not the price to get it.

10. Mar 24, 2017 at 1:06 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    No. Hurst Core Shifter off of ebay. And Yes its much faster due to mechanic advantage.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Dannyblues[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Mar 24, 2017 at 1:08 PM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    i have a feeling an even swap won't be quite enough for a new truck, Pro or not.

but you already know this. :anonymous:

Spare Parts[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Mar 24, 2017 at 1:53 PM
    BlakeM

BlakeM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Gonzales, LA
    Vehicle:
    2023 T4R.SR5.4WD.OMG.LOL.WTF
    Can I get in on the action?

I found a M/T taco in Georgia a couple of days ago (couldn't find any around here). We exchanged emails a few times. They gave me a great price. I put the check in the mail today. Just waiting on the paperwork so I can sign it and send it back so they can deliver the truck to me. They quoted me $250 to deliver it from Atlanta to Baton Rouge. Pretty damn good price, since another dealer in Illinois quoted me $1,800 if I bought from them.

schmack b, Dannyblues and su.b.rat like this.
  13. Mar 24, 2017 at 2:15 PM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    you're not going to look at it first? i like these MT's but i wouldn't buy one sight unseen.

wait a sec... i actually bought mine sight unseen. but i wrote the check after accepting it in person.

Dannyblues likes this.
  14. Mar 24, 2017 at 2:24 PM
    BlakeM

BlakeM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Gonzales, LA
    Vehicle:
    I had the opportunity to test drive a MT here at a local dealer, except it was black (nice, but not for me) and had the premium & tech package. They also wanted $38k for it and didn't sound like they would budge.

I saw pics, that's about it. It's brand new on the lot with 1 mile on it. I trust it's in new condition just like any other new truck on the lot. "Hopefully"

Dannyblues likes this.
  15. Mar 24, 2017 at 2:42 PM
    specter208

specter208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD SPORT ACLB w/ 6MT TRUCK WHITE
    TOYOTA OEM: Cast Aluminum Running Boards Mud Guards Bed Mat All-Weather Floor Liner NIssan Frontier Sliding Bed Extender
    Tell them another dealer is willing to place an order for your perfect truck at a lower price. This might persuade them to budge a little.

Dannyblues likes this.
  16. Mar 24, 2017 at 3:05 PM
    BlakeM

BlakeM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Gonzales, LA
    Vehicle:
    It's a done deal now. I think I'll be happy with the decision I made.
    I would've been good with the sport or off road. I chose the off road because the the truck was $500 less and the delivery was $1,550 less.
    So I saved over $2k by going with the off road. I did like the color of the sport better though. It was silver. The off road is white.

Shit, I was thinking really hard about getting an SR and having lots of extra money to play with.
    The little 4 banger would've been fine. I have a 3/4 ton diesel at my disposal if I need to haul heavy shit.

Dannyblues likes this.
  17. Mar 24, 2017 at 3:27 PM
    Dannyblues

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    New Milford Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    What kind of work involved to change shifter? I just had the TSB-0088-16 tech bulletin service done on my manual. It was absolutely jammed in a gear when tranny warmed up. Required a smaller detent in shifter ball plus a few minor parts swap at top of transmission. Very common problem with 2016 manual tacomas. I'd like to check out what's needed for that faster shifter. As I understand it TRD speed shifter version is only a shorter stick. Let me know if you'd like. Thanks for the post. Dannyblues

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  18. Mar 24, 2017 at 3:29 PM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    nah, you'll have much more fun complaining about the 6cyl than convincing yourself that the 4cyl is sufficient.

j/k. i've probably been on TW too long in case that didn't give it away.

good luck with delivery and all that. hope it's a nice one for you!

Dannyblues and BlakeM[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Mar 24, 2017 at 3:37 PM
    Dannyblues

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    New Milford Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    I agree with St Germain. And best of luck with your new Tacoma. Manual transmission I hope. Not for the $ savings as many think but for the fun and control of driving. I hope they keep making manuals. Dannyblues

20. Mar 24, 2017 at 3:38 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Don't know, I have the better 2015 model :D and its quite easy.

And it's not just a shorter stick, it has a larger mechanical box on top to leverage the shifter more, so throws are shorter combined with the shorter shifter.

Dannyblues[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top