1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manual transmission Fan Club and BS thread (All Generations Welcome)

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by nevadabugle, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Mar 30, 2017 at 7:51 PM
    Masterofnone

Masterofnone 140.85

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport AC MT
    Off topic, but I had the chance to drive a 1986 Toyota MR2 with a racing clutch and short throw shifter on a 60 mile excursion today. Then I got in my Tacoma to drive home... felt like I was in a damn 18 wheeler.

specter208, Dannyblues and shakerhood like this.
  2. Mar 30, 2017 at 9:19 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    Way back when I was first really getting the hang of driving a stick my stepfather was a Security Guy at the Community College and they had a Cushman to patrol the grounds, it was 3 on the tree and i loved blasting around in that thing.

3. Mar 31, 2017 at 10:21 AM
    Dannyblues

Dannyblues Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    New Milford Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD sport 4x4 double cab black
    weather tech mats, mud flaps, black side rail step, cargo bed liner, roll up cargo bed cover, wheel locks towing package
    Similarly with the 55 Chevy inline 6 and three speed column shift it was the sound and feel. Dry clutch with three very distinct gears and a wide shift pattern. As you let go the clutch you could feel the vibration and slippage until full engagement. First was in your lap. Then the pause from the rummmm- rummm- rummm sound and winding gears through neutral and way up into second ; often shifting on some that were knuckle busters. Then that rummm sound again but in a different pitch as if you were achieving something but not quite there yet. Finally the drop into third where the engine and transmission seem to feel satisfied they'd reached home. Cars too in those days weren't insulated much and half the year all the crank and front fly windows were open. No AC. No defrost that actually worked except a bit for an icy inside window a long time working after the engine was hot. So you heard and felt everything on those bias ply tires. No radials. No disk brakes. Vacuum operated windshield wipers were the worst. But we knew no different and OHV were new on the scene replacing flat head side valve engines even though Ford dominated the scene with its early flat head v8 for so long. All in line 6's. Big cu in by today's standards ... those were the days. Modern for my folks. Me too I guess as technology and cars changed so much year after year. As a baby boomer born in 1949 I feel I was born at the most amazing time in history. Dannyblues

Masterofnone likes this.
  4. Mar 31, 2017 at 4:31 PM
    Dannyblues

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    New Milford Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    weather tech mats, mud flaps, black side rail step, cargo bed liner, roll up cargo bed cover, wheel locks towing package
    I agree. I had a hard time finding a TRD sport double cab anywhere near my dealer. Nearby dealers wouldn't let their manuals go or they were bought out right from under me at another dealership that promised me his. One was bought right off the delivery trailer.

I called Toyota about this. They told me each dealership pre orders the truck inventory they expect to sell at various colors and trim levels including automatics and gets regular year round deliveries of that inventory

Apparently ALL dealerships underestimate the number of manuals people want to buy.

What makes it worse is that anyone born from 1980 up hasn't had any exposure to manual shift vehicles except Latinos who love their souped up jap rice burners and kids who are into cars and trucks.

My own TRD was found at another dealership with 14 miles on it then driven from there an additional 96 miles to my dealership. I was just fortunate that it was black!
    Dannyblues

5. Mar 31, 2017 at 7:56 PM
    BlakeM

BlakeM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Gonzales, LA
    Vehicle:
    2023 T4R.SR5.4WD.OMG.LOL.WTF
    Mine was delivered today.....from 550 miles away.

IMG_2842.jpg
    IMG_2844.jpg
    IMG_2845.jpg

:burnrubber:

From what I've been told at multiple local dealers, Toyota gulf states region doesn't get M/T's at all. You have to order one if you want one. One of them claimed the last one they ordered took 6 months to come in. Don't know if I believe that. Maybe he was hoping I'd just buy an auto.

6. Mar 31, 2017 at 8:39 PM
    Dannyblues

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    New Milford Connecticut
    Vehicle:

I really wanted white at first but didn't like the ones on the dealer lot. Looked like a refrigerator on ugly wheels.

But it surely wasn't yours! Your Tacoma is beautiful. I don't know which white one I saw. Which model. Besides it was an automatic.

Wow that's some distance to get a manual. I'm shocked that anywhere near the gulf states don't order manuals. I'd think anywhere down south there would be far more manuals than up here in the northeast.

Best of luck. It's an eye catcher. Easier than my black one to keep clean too. Dannyblues

7. Mar 31, 2017 at 8:41 PM
    Dannyblues

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    New Milford Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    Yeah the Tacoma has gotten monstrous since the early ones. And more complex. And more expensive. Funny post. Dannyblues

8. Mar 31, 2017 at 10:51 PM
    BlakeM

BlakeM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Gonzales, LA
    Vehicle:
    2023 T4R.SR5.4WD.OMG.LOL.WTF
    Thanks man. White wasn't one of my top choices, but I like it. Maybe 3rd or 4th choice.

I was emailing about 8 dealers over a few weeks. Narrowed it down to 3 trucks. Two TRD sports and the Off Road. I chose the off road because they gave me the best deal.

BTW, my top color choices were silver and quicksand. I have no idea what I would've done if I had to make a choice between those.

9. Apr 1, 2017 at 9:16 AM
    Dannyblues

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    New Milford Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    My choices were fire engine red the salesman told me was available but when I saw the actual red was a dark red metallic I didn't like it so I went for black then the dark grey ( very classy. But I'd have to wear a jacket and tie when I drove it !). Then silver became it always looks clean. Actually my original choice was white because I've had so many black cars but the model I saw I didn't like as it just wasn't coordinated and accessories and wheels didn't look like a good match. However a member posted his white TRD and it's a beauty. Guess I looked at a different model. Maybe an SR5 or plain Jane. I'd always felt a fire engine red truck was the lil red truck that's always been so popular through time. Also as a teen I once saw a parked dark forest green truck with green tinted windows. It had some metal flake that made it look black at night and glistened in the sunlight. Since that time I've always wanted that same color green truck. I live in rural Connecticut. Lots of farms, streams and woods. That truck is like a real country farm color. Anyway I opted for and got a black double cab 4x4 TRD with a six speed manual and I now like it best. With 17 inch wheels, dark tinted rear windows, matching side rail step and black roll up cargo cover it's a devil. I think it looks hot. Though it's completely stock and I've changed my mind on the increased power upgrades. The first thing that went was the supercharger. In my dreams. Then headers and tuned cat back exhaust with appropriate high flow cold air induction etc. I want reliability and better gas mileage. I'm disappointed in the power and speed after so many years of modified little rice rockets but it's a truck not a sports car.
    Best of luck with your new Off Road.
    Dannyblues

10. Apr 1, 2017 at 9:43 AM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Off-Road MGM
    Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Level 8 Tracker wheels, white lithium grease mod for creaky clutch pedal
    Woah, they 3rd gens don't have the old parking brake anymore?

11. Apr 1, 2017 at 10:04 AM
    Dannyblues

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    New Milford Connecticut
    Vehicle:

WHAT????????
    Please explain and reply. It's not possible. I have a manual and even though I leave it parked in low or reverse I definitely rely on the parkkng brake. ( the standard pull up lever on the center console behind the shifter.)

Wait a minute! Is this an April fools prank??!!
    Ha ha.
    Dannyblues

12. Apr 1, 2017 at 10:05 AM
    aero90

aero90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR 4x4 M/T - Sold
    I think its more than you think, it isn't dead quite yet. I'm in my 20's and live in southern california. I actually see quite a few cars/trucks at work and my apartment complex, owned by people around my age, that are manual. A lot of our parents had manual transmission vehicles when we were growing up so its not like it is a completely foreign concept to us.

But i will agree some people seem oblivious. I have the squeaky clutch pedal (can be really loud sometimes). I was driving a couple of friends somewhere and when I parked and released the clutch it made the signature "creeeeaaaakkkkk." My friend in the back seat said "Why does your emergency brake make that noise when you push it to the floor?"

Dannyblues[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Apr 1, 2017 at 10:07 AM
    aero90

aero90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR 4x4 M/T - Sold
    He's referring to the old T-handle parking brake! They switched to the lever on the center console with the 3rd gens.

14. Apr 1, 2017 at 10:15 AM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Off-Road MGM
    Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Level 8 Tracker wheels, white lithium grease mod for creaky clutch pedal
    Yeah, this.

Dannyblues likes this.
  15. Apr 1, 2017 at 10:18 AM
    Dannyblues

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    New Milford Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    I'm so relieved to hear you milenniums are still carrying the manual transmission torch. Without you us old guys would be out of luck. Today's marketing is no longer targeting us except for hemmoroid cream. Thanks

That squeaky clutch seems to be a common issue. Call Toyota customer service to see if there are any recalls or warranty enhancements. If not check with your dealer shop and find out if there are any service bulletins on it. I've heard though it's a common issue there are so few manuals around that the dealer guys aren't experienced with anything about them.
    Dannyblues

16. Apr 1, 2017 at 10:21 AM
    Dannyblues

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    New Milford Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    Really !!!!! You mean to tell me that up to 2015 tacomas came with the same T handle parking brake we had on our 51 mercury? Located near your left leg where you reached down to pull it on? That type. ??? Is this an April fools or true. I can't believe it.
    Dannyblues

17. Apr 1, 2017 at 10:33 AM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    Yes, l keep punching the dash in my new 17 from years of grabbing that handle.

Dannyblues[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Apr 1, 2017 at 10:36 AM
    Dannyblues

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    New Milford Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    Second reply. I'm going to show my wife your photos. Damn that's a beauty. She really wanted me to get a white truck. She will pound me since I chose black again when she sees these pictures. As I said before I didn't like the white Tacoma at the dealership ( it was an automatic anyway and I've driven a loaner automatic for two days and absolutely hated it. Worst automatic I ever drove! ). That model I saw at the dealership surely wasn't yours.
    Again. Best of luck. As we bikers say. Keep the painted side up.
    Dannyblues

BlakeM[QUOTED] and shakerhood like this.
  19. Apr 1, 2017 at 11:42 AM
    pocketsmcaaron

pocketsmcaaron Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '16 OR MT DCSB WHT Prior:'15 MT ,'94 MT
    Snugtop Rebel,TRD Pro Bilsteins,2" Block rear,SR Grill,TRD Beadlocks,Toyo AT 2s,Focal Experts,Kicker AmP & 10" Sub
    In addition to doing TSB-0088-16 from the sticky gear issue from 2nd to 3rd. Dealer filled my transmission with more trans fluid which corrected the issue.

20. Apr 1, 2017 at 12:06 PM
    mict450

mict450 got heel toe?

Member:
    northeastern California
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport AC MT BBP
    Actually located by your right leg. I'm talking of my 1992 Toyota no name pick up.

Products Discussed in

To Top