1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manual vs Automatic

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Funch, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Apr 14, 2021 at 3:02 PM
    Funch

Funch [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hello!

I am completely new to offroading and would like to hear your opinions on Automatic vs Manual trucks. I imagine that offroading Standard transmission is king, is that true? am I doing myself a disservice by not getting a standard transmission?

2. Apr 15, 2021 at 9:25 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Not true at all.

If you are new to a manual in the first place and struggle to start on a hill without rollback, it will absolutely suck to take that thing off road.

Lot of people run auto transmissions.

It's about what you, the driver, are most comfortable with.

I would suggest an external transmission cooler though. Helps with towing, too.

3. Apr 15, 2021 at 11:43 AM
    Checkers10160

Checkers10160 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chess
    Westchester/Fairfield
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab Long Bed
    OME 885s Bilstein 5100 Deaver AAL AP Sliders SOS Skids Rear diff breather relocation
    I prefer a manual, but I'd say auto is better for off road. No roll back, option for crawl control, etc. Plus when you're really really creeping along, you aren't burning up your clutch.

I like the challenge, and I love shifting through gears, plus a manual was readily available. But like @jbrandt said, get what you're most comfortable with

4. Apr 21, 2021 at 5:00 PM
    ssd_dan

ssd_dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2012 RC 4x4
    shell, skids, sliders, suspension, bumper, winch
    Firstly, like everyone else is saying, whatever you are most comfortable for regular driving is your best choice for <<intense>> driving.

Now, I am fairly new to off roading but I am very comfortable with a manual; for me shifting is a natural movement which requires minimal effort or attention.
    So let me opine on something I know ~50% about!

Off roading/rock crawling is arguably harder with manual transmission. But it is generally quite obvious when I need both hands on the wheel and when it is appropriate to shift.
    And when crawling, one shouldn't have to clutch/shift too much anyway- mostly just stick it in Low1 and work the throttle.
    Still, sometimes I stall from a bad shift or other bad technique on steep inclines, and have to use some parking brake to resist rollback when restarting.
    That's when I sorta wish I had automatic. But I mostly need to get better at hitting good lines cleanly.
    Other advantages when wheeling with an automatic center around access to various electronic driver-assist features that are not compatible with a manual trans.

However a manual does offer advantages which cannot be duplicated with greater skill in an automatic.
    Obviously it gives you full control of rpm/gear choice. You know when the transmission will shift!
    But after stalling, there are tricks like starting in 1st with no clutch, and creeping forward with the starter motor.
    Certain other situations call for staying in a gear longer than an auto tranny is programed to hold.
    And the ability to downshift for engine braking is a great tool for keeping brakes from overheating as quickly during long descents.
    Lastly, manual transmission may be somewhat less vulnerable to overheating or require a tranny cooler.
    For me, a manual is the clear choice.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  5. Apr 21, 2021 at 5:02 PM
    0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF Trash Aficionado

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 reg cab 4x4 flatbed MT
    Depends on what you mean by offroading. Only thing I wouldn't want a manual on is rock crawling (probably, dual tcases might change that thought), but for everything else... manual.

Products Discussed in

To Top