1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

March 10th Gas Boycott

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by TacomaGirl09, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 9, 2011 at 5:36 AM
    TacomaGirl09

TacomaGirl09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amanda
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Traded the Tacoma for a 2011 Kia Forte KoupSX
    I don't know if any of you are aware of the gas boycott set for tomorrow, so I thought I'd post a thread about it. I don't know if it's really going to happen, but supposedly on facebook there are more than 45,000 people throughout the country who are planning to boycott gas stations tomorrow. I figured it couldn't hurt to pass the word along through tacoma world, because it would be a great way to send a message to the oil companies. Just passing along the info I received, so we'll see what happens.

2. Mar 9, 2011 at 5:38 AM
    o5iiawah

o5iiawah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Philly 'burbs, PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x2 access cab 2.7l
    This is stupid. All this does is make people stock up the night before, or delay their fillup for another day.

A real "message" would be to go a whole day without driving. that would decrease usage of gas, not just purchasing it.

3. Mar 9, 2011 at 5:39 AM
    McJosh

McJosh avidoffroad.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    2005 Reg. Cab 5 lug Tacoma
    Pioneer AVH-p2300DVD, 12" Memphis sub and Alpine MRP-M650 amp, 32" BFG AT tires and KMC wheels, tinted windows, satoshi grille w/ stainless steel mesh, Avid front & rear tube bumpers, Cobra wx75 CB with 3' firestik, GaragePro bucket seats, FlowMaster 40 series, aFe CAI, Black head lights, LoJack and Autopage alarm installed, Avid sliders.
    Everyone needs gas. 45,000 people sounds like chump change to oil companies. I filled up yesterday so i guess i'm in by default, like he said ^.

4. Mar 9, 2011 at 5:40 AM
    TacomaGirl09

TacomaGirl09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amanda
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Traded the Tacoma for a 2011 Kia Forte KoupSX
    That's true. But even if people fill up the night before or the day after, at least the oil companies would take a hit for one day. At least it's a start in trying to send a message to them. Just passing along the info I received. It can't hurt to try.

5. Mar 9, 2011 at 5:41 AM
    PAlittlematty

PAlittlematty "the soulless ginger"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Beech Creek, PA
    Vehicle:
    Casper the friendly Taco
    OME Lift, 885 Coils, 13MM Top Spacer, Dakar Leafs, DSM UCAs, Homeroshi Flush Mount Grille, WeatherTech Digifit Mats, Bestop Super Top, Toyota Bed Extender, Clevice Receiver
    ^^^^me too

6. Mar 9, 2011 at 5:50 AM
    dustinJ

dustinJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Amarillo tx
    Vehicle:
    16 dcsb set sport
    None yet
    Your not hurting the oil companies. They have already sold the oil that made the gas. If they happen to refine their own oil into gasoline, the "quickie mart" your not buying your gas at has already paid said oil company for the gasoline in their tanks. So, it accomplishes zero other than not supporting your local small business owner at the gas station.

Big oil has zero to do with gas prices or oil prices. Speculators and the middle east have it all in their hands. There's no reason oil or gas should be this high right now. The Libya situation has not changed the supply enough yet to actually effect the price but speculators think it will be effected in a month or two. It's simple supply and demand with Inflation thrown in.

I'm not happy about it either. I fill my truck with diesel everyday to the tune of 80 bucks now at 3.70 a gal. So it hurts us too.

7. Mar 9, 2011 at 5:52 AM
    EL TACOROJO

EL TACOROJO SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.

Member:
    First Name:
    BURRY
    south mills NORCAK
    Vehicle:
    03 dblcab prerunner sr5 v6
    smoked taillights,smoked front turnsignals,smoked 3rd brake light,black badges,black roof rack,removed mud flaps,debadged, camburg 2.5 coilovers,camburg uca's, cobra 25 cb, 4ft firestick ant, dust light/bed lights , 4 hellas on the front
    You think 45,000 people is really going to hurt them. Lol. Maybe 4.5 million on the other hand

8. Mar 9, 2011 at 5:53 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Sport Access Cab 4x4
    Leveled with 5100s @ 1.75", Hankook Dynapro AT/m, Ultra Maverick wheels, N-Fab side steps, WeatherTech floor liners, EGR in-channel rain guards, TRD shift knob for 10 extra mpg, Gentex 177 auto dim rear view mirror with compass and temp, CompuStar remote start, Muth heated signal mirrors, disable AC with defrost mod
    Every time the gas prices shoot up, there is a 'boycott gas' day. As mentioned above, the gas will be bought one way or the other, so the perceived hit to the gas companies is just an illusion.
    I do agree that cutting back on your driving or driving more fuel efficient vehicles are the only way to really stick it to the gas companies, but you also have to balance your desire to save gas with you personal freedom and enjoyment.

My method of dealing with gas prices is to ask myself, is this really as bad as everyone is making it out to be? Am I going to be homeless if I spend an extra $30 to fill up every 2 weeks (also known as $15/week or $2.14/day)? Yes, I would rather spend put that $30 towards a nice meal out or something else I enjoy, but is a measly $30 really going to impact my life style in the long run? No, not really, so what ever. I have bigger things to worry about in my life than a few extra bucks here and there.
    We can't change the price of gas, but we can change the way we mentally react to it. They are already beating up our wallets, so why let them make us mentally beat ourselves up as well? Get out there and enjoy your life, because it will go on despite higher gas prices.
    Just a bit of positive thinking as an alternative to mass hysteria/gloom and doom. :)

9. Mar 9, 2011 at 5:53 AM
    zuckdan

zuckdan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Evergreen CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC SR5
    A real boycott would be to NEVER, EVER fill your truck with exxon gas and avoid as much as possible the other biggies... chevron, BP, connoco. If the oil companies at the top of the pyramid took a hit, they would be forced to drop prices to try and out compete the little guys. If we could get that message tweeted round the globe, we might have a chance at controlling the price of oil through consumerism.

Look for the big green dinosaur and hit up Sinclair whenever you see it.

10. Mar 9, 2011 at 5:55 AM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    Even if it does, by some crazy magical instance, happen and everybody doesnt go to the gas station, they will just sit back and have a nice cup of coffee until march 11, when everyone returns to the gas pump at once. But please, tell everyone in the Northern VA area to stay off the roads so i can get my errands done without any traffic

11. Mar 9, 2011 at 5:59 AM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    This is all OBAMA's Fault. He probably Drives a Raptor! Bull Bars are the greatest!! Street Racing is my favorite past time! Breaking the law!!!

12. Mar 9, 2011 at 6:00 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    SBurl Vermont
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    As the others said, it won't hurt the oil companies.
    Writing your constituents non stop & watching how they vote on key issues are more effective than a facebook campaign. No offense.
    I do write to my senators & representatives & vote.
    As far as tomorrow, we're snowmobiling so ya gotta have petro...

13. Mar 9, 2011 at 6:07 AM
    dustinJ

dustinJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Amarillo tx
    Vehicle:
    16 dcsb set sport
    None yet

Big oil has ZERO to do with oil prices. It is traded as a commodity on the stock market. There is a chance that the flow of oil will be interrupted therefore driving the price up. It's not some capitalist pig conspiracy to get more of your money. The Gov,t and EPA only allow the refineries in the USA to operate at about 65% capacity. Then about 30 to 50 cents of every gallon go to Uncle Sam. If the gov't would allow the building of new refineries oil could be $200 a barrel and you wouldn't care less because gas would be $2.

14. Mar 9, 2011 at 6:37 AM
    EL TACOROJO

EL TACOROJO SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.

Member:
    First Name:
    BURRY
    south mills NORCAK
    Vehicle:
    03 dblcab prerunner sr5 v6
    smoked taillights,smoked front turnsignals,smoked 3rd brake light,black badges,black roof rack,removed mud flaps,debadged, camburg 2.5 coilovers,camburg uca's, cobra 25 cb, 4ft firestick ant, dust light/bed lights , 4 hellas on the front
    Bullbar raptors street racing ftw

15. Mar 9, 2011 at 6:42 AM
    nick

nick MURDERED_TACO

Member:
    burnsville,nc
    Vehicle:
    - 2011 trd, sport, black
    - debadged, - flowmaster 40, - halo headlights, - rear tow skackle, - fog lite relay mod, - baja front bumper, - 6'' procomp sus lift (stageI), - blacked-out windows & taillights,
    x2!!! :infantry:

16. Mar 9, 2011 at 6:49 AM
    o5iiawah

o5iiawah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Philly 'burbs, PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x2 access cab 2.7l
    Everyone remember what happened a couple years ago when it shot up to about $4.25/gal? It reached a tipping point and people with big, clunky SUVs couldn't afford to drive them, so they traded them in for priuses, civics, accords, camrys, etc. Hell, there was even a market for people fixing up Geo metros.

Demand went down and what happened to the price? Went back down to $2.50.

Curtailing your usage is the only way to drive down the price and "Stick it" to the oil companies.

17. Mar 9, 2011 at 7:41 AM
    ForeRunner

ForeRunner Scotch before noon. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Somewhere between Maine and Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Subaru WRX STI Limited (no wing)
    Extra PSI
    What he said.

I take public transit right now. I drive 8 miles to the train station and 8 miles home. If I have to drive to work it is 52 miles round trip. When I did drive in I would fill up every 4 days. Now I'm filling the truck up every other week. Luckily my employer provides me with a transit pass so I'm only out the cost of gas to the train station. However, the train ride is only $3.50 so even if I had to pay it would still be cheaper than driving every day.

18. Mar 9, 2011 at 8:03 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    aFe Pro Dry air filter, magnetic oil drain plug, synthetic seat covers, steering wheel cover
    I took public transit when my job location allowed it. In my present employment it would be 90 minutes each direction and just not feasible if I am to have any kind of life. But I really loved taking transit, it was awesome. It reduced my stress, my mileage & gas & insurance costs... too many pro's to list here.

If everyone could pay attention to their driving style and simply *slow down*, we would save fuel and save money and reduce stress and feel better and send a message to the oil industry all with the same stroke. Yes it will take us all a few more minutes to get where we are going, but considering the benefits, it really is a no-brainer. Plan ahead and allow travel time -- what an amazing concept. It's not like people don't know they have to be at the same place same time every day (or every week).

Where's the fire?

19. Mar 9, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    Do you know that Exxon's profit margin is lower than walmarts?

20. Mar 9, 2011 at 8:25 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    That wouldn't work either. Most gas companies get their gas from one refinery. Then they add their additives. The only thing that would happen is demand on the other stations would increase resulting in them raising their price. Exxon stations would then become more attractive.

And as has already been stated, you're only hurting your local gas station owner. Exxon has already made their money when they sold it to the refinery. The only way to truely affect gas prices is for everyone to use less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
To Top