1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Martial Arts Advice?

Discussion in 'Health' started by EatMyTacomaDust, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Feb 19, 2015 at 7:49 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

EatMyTacomaDust [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 "Black Beauty" Baja DC 4x4
    ICON 3" LIFT, Console Vault, Tailgate Security Clamp MOD, SuperBumper Crash Attenuator, TRD Front Skid Plate, Wet Okoles - 1/2 Piped, Undercover SE Tonneau
    Hey Everyone,

I'm considering starting some Martial Arts training and am interested in Jeet Kune Do, Wing Chun & Kung Fu. I would be a total beginner and I'm not sure where to start.

There is an opportunity in Seattle to train with a 4th generation Sifu from the Yip Man Lineage in Wing Chun. I don't really know the differences between all of the different styles. I know I like Jeet Kune Do the best but it seems hard to find a good trainer. Jeet Kune Do's foundation began from Wing Chun so I was leaning toward that.

I'm not looking for any UFC stuff or hardcore MMA / kickboxing. I want to learn self defense and efficient, powerful, quick fighting styles & takedowns - eg. Bruce Lee / Yip Man.

Anyone have any wisdom they could impart with the different training styles they have experienced and why you prefer the Martial Art Style you train in?

Much appreciation in advance!

2. Feb 19, 2015 at 7:51 PM
    PkTaco

PkTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Zanesville Ohio
    I take Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Mauy Tia. I enjoy both of them. The ground work and takedowns of Jiu Jitsu is where its at though to me.

3. Feb 19, 2015 at 7:56 PM
    User Name01

User Name01 Little boy from FairyTale Land

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Wherever the next wind project is
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Barcelona Red Metallic Dbl Cab 4x4
    I have taken kick-boxing, Jiu-jitsu and some martial arts classes.
    If your purpose is to, strictly, learn self-defense, kung-fu is a good choice.

If you might also want to lose weight/get toned, I would take kick-boxing. Also good for self defense.

4. Feb 19, 2015 at 7:56 PM
    User Name01

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Vehicle:
    Jiu-jitsu has been my favorite...by far.

5. Feb 19, 2015 at 8:00 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ICON 3" LIFT, Console Vault, Tailgate Security Clamp MOD, SuperBumper Crash Attenuator, TRD Front Skid Plate, Wet Okoles - 1/2 Piped, Undercover SE Tonneau
    Thanks. I will definitely look into Jiu Jitsu.

I don't know if it's true, but from all the movies I've seen [lame, I know] Muay Tai is where they do alot of those brutal leg kicks? haha That Van Damme movie comes to mind when I think of Muay Tai.

6. Feb 19, 2015 at 8:04 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for replying. Would you consider kung fu and kickboxing very similar to Karate?

7. Feb 19, 2015 at 8:11 PM
    User Name01

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Vehicle:
    The main goat is self-defense. These will all help you improve your skills.

Kickboxing will teach you to dodge punches and to punch/kick back. You could hurt yourself in a "gloves off/street fight" situation.....I am not saying to go out and fight.

Kung-Fu can teach you both offense and defense. You are not always going to want to kick the crap out of someone. Requires alot of discipline and practice.

Karate is more of a self-help class/intro to the world of martial arts:D

From my experience...

8. Feb 19, 2015 at 8:49 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yes self defense is my objective. I'm not looking to start any trouble for sure. I'm 45 and have always been loved MA, but never got into it - I spent my time in my younger days locked in a room playing guitar - haha, so I'm good with the discipline / practice part.

I'm looking to be able to take care of myself and my wife if the situation arises. Getting older has made me realize how important this is, I'm not a spring chicken anymore - i don't want to end up 10 or 15 years from now and not be able to fend for myself and wife against much younger / stronger aggressors.

I'm checking out Brazilian Jui Jitsu online and have found a decent place near by that is getting very high praise. I'll look into the Kung Fu.

9. Feb 20, 2015 at 5:15 AM
    PkTaco

PkTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Zanesville Ohio
    Personally I think having some kind of ground game is a must. Stats say that 90% of scuffles end up on the ground.

Thunder Fist likes this.
  10. Feb 20, 2015 at 3:59 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Good point. Now that I think about it, pretty much every fight I have ever seen or been in has ended up in a ground battle. That's definitely how a lot of bigger guys fight cause they know that's their advantage.

11. Feb 20, 2015 at 4:02 PM
    maxpower29

maxpower29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5 speed SWB
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    Hip flexor stretches are a must. Don't be one of the guys like me who pulls it so many times it's chronic.
    Best advice though is don't actually fight. Concussions suck and have ruined parts of my everyday life. Good luck

12. Feb 20, 2015 at 4:08 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    I have no experience with any of the Martial arts you listed, but one of my best friends is taking BJJ, Tai Kwon Do, and Krav Maga, and from watching her train my preference would be BJJ, the grappling really has my attention.

Edit: this guy has some short videos of BJJ practice at ATA (In Charlottesville, Virginia)
    https://www.youtube.com/user/hixbassman/videos

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  13. Feb 20, 2015 at 4:09 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah stretching is extremely important before very physical activity. I have never heard of hip flexor stretches though - thanks for the advice.

Thing is, I really don't like to fight I would like to be able to intimidate the shit out of someone in the initial stages of a confrontation enough to diffuse the situation before someone get's hurt [especially me - haha] - that's my goal.

Have you had alot of concussions from fighting? Or sparring or something?

14. Feb 20, 2015 at 4:10 PM
    gumbyw

gumbyw New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 4.0
    Everything has its place. I would suggest starting with one style and getting solid with it whether it is muay tai or jiu jitsu or any other style. I personally started with Kempo Karate, and moved on to train in mma. Whatever you decide, go all out, its worth putting in the sweat and blood. Good Luck!!!

15. Feb 20, 2015 at 4:12 PM
    maxpower29

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    Ya that's my favourite. It's a great hobby where you get a great workout, learn a ton, and don't really put your health at risk by getting punched and kicked.

16. Feb 20, 2015 at 4:14 PM
    maxpower29

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Mine came from work one day but I bet it's also from years of hockey, boxing and Muay Thai. Just such a shutting injury

17. Feb 20, 2015 at 4:26 PM
    stokka

stokka Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Boxing.

Thunder Fist likes this.
  18. Feb 20, 2015 at 4:33 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

Member:
    Vehicle:
    BJJ is getting alot of recommendations, I have been checking it out and have found an IBJJF Dojo nearby. Thanks for the vid, I'll check it out.

Thanks for your advice! That is the approach I was thinking would be best.

Sorry to hear about that Max. Concussions are tough to live with on a daily basis. I hope that you can get better, I know what it's like to live with chronic pains and body issues [esp. back] as I have been in a pretty bad car crash and a bad dirt bike wreck, but I imagine concussions are at the top of the list.

taco_chaser likes this.
  19. Feb 20, 2015 at 5:45 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    Someone mentioned already that Karate doesn't really feel practical and I have to agree.

I did lots and lots of sparring when I was doing Karate for 7ish years and did a few tournaments. It teaches you a fighting style that you probably won't up using that much. You tend to keep your distance in "proper" sparring in karate whereas in a real fight your probably going to end up on the ground.

The dojo I attended was very successful at tournaments with a few of the people from our dojo competing in major international tournaments and winning lots of golds. This was not full contact though. We learned tons and tons about techniques on your feet but we never learned anything about ground work.

20. Feb 20, 2015 at 5:49 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    Yeah, I've only been able to sit in on one class so far but it's really cool to watch.

:thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top