1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MARYLAND TACOMAS

Discussion in 'North East' started by ST3VE, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Apr 15, 2021 at 6:05 PM
    AR15xAR10

AR15xAR10 AR10 is 5 ARs better

Member:
    Triangle of 26726, 21532, 21502
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 V6 IndigoInkPearl ACLBFTMFW
    Please refer to build (click signature picture)
    I’m also not trying to say there is no way to have a steady job there, i just think the environment there has shifted so much so that its nothing like it used to be :anonymous: I don’t figure many people could make a career there is what I mean....

lynyrd3 and 68dave[QUOTED] like this.
  2. Apr 15, 2021 at 7:19 PM
    OG_Tacoma

OG_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:

LONG WORK DAY.

OK...I went back and forth on hard shell truck cap/topper vs. Softopper (ST) myself. It depends on individual needs, but IMO the ST is better for like 90% of people.

PROS: It's cheaper than a hardtop (new prices, apples to apples). It's lightweight. It's EASY to remove, replace, store, etc. with just one person. I live in a townhouse and would have nowhere to store a hardtop if I needed to take it off. Since it's made like a convertible top, it's extremely versatile and you can change "modes" in like 60 seconds (fold it up and out of the way one day and open it up fully the next). Loading up bicycles or something from Home Depot? No problem, unsnap and loosen it and fold it back (like an accordion). ST is a Colorado-based company and their build quality is top notch. Plus, they hold their value really well if you change your mind, etc.

CONS: There are not many cons, but the few cons are major. The biggest one is security--it is not secure at all and a break-in could be very expensive. I wouldn't recommend keeping anything valuable back there for very long. If I do park in a sketchy area, I open it a little bit--I'd rather someone unzip it than use a knife and destroy it. Another one is you're limited in colors. But with 3 color options (black, gray, tan), you can compliment almost any truck color. Another con is it's not technically waterproof...but it's pretty damn water resistant. I've never had rain get inside. The only time the bed was wet was going through an automatic touchless car wash. Even so, wasn't as much water as I expected.

Camping...I've slept in my bed under the ST a few times and I LOVE it. It's a little more breathable than a hardtop, but it doesn't hold heat quite the same. Never bothered me because I've got a warm sleeping bag + Mr. Heater Buddy propane heater.

Any other questions, just ask!

lynyrd3 and NealM00DY[QUOTED] like this.
  3. Apr 16, 2021 at 3:27 AM
    beorn the fat

beorn the fat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mornin’ neighbors

lynyrd3 likes this.
  4. Apr 16, 2021 at 3:28 AM
    beorn the fat

Member:
    I thought metaphors involved taking your “dog for a walk”?

RobP62 and lynyrd3 like this.
  5. Apr 16, 2021 at 3:54 AM
    RedDeadTaco

RedDeadTaco The Hipster Woodsman

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Aiken, SC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Barcelona Red OR
    Mobtown Sliders, Aluminum Skids Bilstein 6112/Extended 5100’s Iron Man constant load leafs JBA High Caster UCA’s Diamond Back Tonneau 285/75/r16 Cooper STT Pros Method 702’s Uptop Overland Alpha Roof Rack
    You have to get the beach before 6am. It gets so crowded, that waiting in line for 4+ hours just to drive on sand is ridiculous.

6. Apr 16, 2021 at 4:05 AM
    hyrule_trd

hyrule_trd It’s a Secret to Everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    Ironman Stage 1 Foam Cell Pro lift kit, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx, SCS BR6 Wheels, SPC UCA, Heated seats, MESO TRD start button, Meso Total Tail v1, Meso V5 mirror white DRL turns, bed decal, ditch and hidden bumper lights, screen protech, RAV4 radio knobs, steering wheel anytime camera kit, dash cam, ECGS bushing, Timbren Active Off Road bump stops with Wheelers flip kit. 35% Xpel CS Ceramic Tint, KD Max Tune, SumoSprings front bump stops, RRW Sliders ‌ ‌ ▲ ▲‌ ▲
    Morning MD.

thanks for the tip. My son and wife are not great with patience lol. So not waiting in line would be best. Maybe I’ll grab the pass the first day we’re there if I can the go the following morning.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  7. Apr 16, 2021 at 4:29 AM
    Smoketown

Smoketown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Frederick, Md
    Vehicle:
    2013 Barcelona Red DCSB TRD Sport
    There should be a day pass option or atleast a shorter option than the full year pass. Not sure if your talking about the MD or VA side, I have the full year day pass only and it was only $75 at the Toms Cove Visitor Center. As far as the recovery gear they werent inspecting vehicles because of COVID for required gear but I imagine if you were to somehow get stuck and didnt have it and the park ranger showed up you would probably have an issue. I have a house just outside of Chincoteague and go out several times a year. Was just down there the first weekend of April, Striper bite was on fire from the beach but the wind chill was in the teens a few of the days and im just not that die hard lol

lynyrd3 and hyrule_trd[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Apr 16, 2021 at 4:44 AM
    hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    Ironman Stage 1 Foam Cell Pro lift kit, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx, SCS BR6 Wheels, SPC UCA, Heated seats, MESO TRD start button, Meso Total Tail v1, Meso V5 mirror white DRL turns, bed decal, ditch and hidden bumper lights, screen protech, RAV4 radio knobs, steering wheel anytime camera kit, dash cam, ECGS bushing, Timbren Active Off Road bump stops with Wheelers flip kit. 35% Xpel CS Ceramic Tint, KD Max Tune, SumoSprings front bump stops, RRW Sliders ‌ ‌ ▲ ▲‌ ▲
    Sounds like it’ll be worth it if I can get on the beach lol. I’ll be getting the few things I need (and should really have anyway). How is the air pump at the station? I know some people get away with not airing down their tires but I probably will air them to 15-20psi since they are skinnies.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  9. Apr 16, 2021 at 4:50 AM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    Morning Maryland :hattip:

hyrule_trd likes this.
  10. Apr 16, 2021 at 4:54 AM
    beorn the fat

Member:
  11. Apr 16, 2021 at 5:52 AM
    Juniorbpd

Juniorbpd Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off Road
    Fellow Maryland guys, Can anyone recommend a good wheel/tire shop in Harford County or near the area? I have been dealing with Harford Tire and just want to have another option to check prices. Thanks in advance

RobP62 likes this.
  12. Apr 16, 2021 at 6:00 AM
    hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    I’m guessing you want to stay local but if not, PM @Discount Tire, I got a really good deal on 255/85/16s and free shipping.

13. Apr 16, 2021 at 7:39 AM
    rcarpio19

rcarpio19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tacoma TRD OR
    Maybe think about getting an Airbnb or something the night prior so you don't have to leave early in the morning to get there by 6am?

14. Apr 16, 2021 at 7:43 AM
    rcarpio19

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Vehicle:
    Just wish they had a shop in MD. I think the closest discount tire shop is in Fredericksburg, VA.

RobP62 likes this.
  15. Apr 16, 2021 at 8:19 AM
    hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    Lol, we’re using an AirBnB for the trip. First time trying it out too. I think my plan will be to try and get the pass the same day we get there if I can make it there in time.

rcarpio19[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Apr 16, 2021 at 10:37 AM
    beorn the fat

Member:
  17. Apr 16, 2021 at 10:42 AM
    Smoketown

Smoketown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Frederick, Md
    Vehicle:
    2013 Barcelona Red DCSB TRD Sport
    Air pump works great but if you come off the beach in the evening with everyone else you will be waiting in a pretty decent line. Also the mosquitos will carry you into the marsh before you can get your tires inflated. I have all the fixings for on board air on my truck just need to do it!

hyrule_trd[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Apr 16, 2021 at 11:24 AM
    rcarpio19

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Vehicle:
    From personal experience, Airbnbs can be hit or miss. I've stayed at shit ones but also stayed in some nice ones with great amenities.

hyrule_trd[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Apr 16, 2021 at 11:44 AM
    hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    We figured less people than a hotel. The pics make the place look good and it’s in a good location.

rcarpio19[QUOTED] and RobP62 like this.
  20. Apr 16, 2021 at 12:21 PM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    I've had both types. I also had a hard top on my Tundra.

As far as overall durability goes, obviously the hard top wins. This is an extreme example but I would sleep better, camping in the woods not worrying if a widowmaker will be coming through the top of it. As far as sleeping back there goes. I have seen some serious camping setups with a hard top on a Tacoma. You can insulate the entire space and incorporate HVAC features if you need to. If you add rails or a rack to the top of it you can utilize it for a multitude of things. Essentially, you're turning your truck into a SUV. I had a 4Runner, and I take my own trash to the dump. I would never haul the nasty wet stuff in it for fear of ruining the carpet and having to live with some ungodly smell. So I also used a cargo carrier for everything but the clean recycled stuff. I do the same thing with my truck but throw everything back there. I hose it out. I could have added an expensive cargo liner to the 4R but it wasn't a practical application available for when the seats were folded down. For security, again, the hard top wins. I had a metal, locking tonneau on my last truck. It was great for that, looked fantastic and was easy to use. When we went on vacation to OC it was nice knowing our things would still be in the bed while we grabbed lunch waiting to check in. I had that on my Sport so 6' bed. It was great. Now that I have a 5' bed, it would be silly. We filled the bed and the rear passenger seat with crap for just a week long vaca. I like a cap on a truck. Of course I have a trailer so I am not limiting myself. In a pinch though, you can remove a cap to haul things if you really need to. There are one person methods for that too.

The only cons I can think of with a softopper are, upkeep/security/durability, but for the money, talking comparing the new price of a hard top vs a soft top, their minimal. It might be more difficult but you can still insulate it for camping. You do have some security - outta sight, outta mind. Nothing will stop a determined criminal though. It's marine grade canvas but If you want to keep it like new you will have to treat it with a waterproofer on a regular basis, including the seams. When I had mine I used a special cleaner too. It's not a deal breaker but definitely a consideration. You'll have to be ever so gentle washing the rear window too. The first time it's loaded with dust and you brush against it dry, it's gonna lightly scratch it. It gets harder to roll up too in the middle of winter.

Can you scratch the rear window on a hard cap? Yes, if you try to clean off paint overspray with a scrubby pad. :anonymous:

There is definitely more air intrusion on the road/trails with a soft topper too. If the air is clean, you're good. However if you are on dusty trails, not so good.

If you find yourself hauling taller things or bulkier loads on a regular/unplanned basis then the soft top is your best bet. Now with that said, if I was buying new, I would not even consider a hard top without windoors, on both sides. I'm average height but windoors would definitely make access to loading and unloading easier. Another major factor to consider is the vertical room. If you're gonna camp in the truck, a softopper provides the least amount of room. It sits almost level with the cab roof but is still an inch shorter. The rear angle is more pronounced too so talking square feet or inches, a cab height hard top has it beat. A lot of guys that camp in their Tacomas say that a cab high hard top is like being in a coffin. They also maximize the space allowed for gear and build some sort of deck system for storage. You can buy a hi-rise hard top and minimize some of that feeling. You can buy a crazy hi version and not worry about it at all. Think about getting up in the morning trying to wake up, making coffee, getting dressed, etc and not being able to sit on a raised platform with the added headroom. It's a night and day difference. I mean, sure, we can all suffer or compromise for anything but do you really want to?

As far as the color matched option, yes, you are right, unless your truck is black or tan, matching a softopper is impossible. I think the color matched is overrated. Especially if you can save a couple grand. Either buying a coordinating color softopper or hard top, or a hard top you need to refinish yourself.

There are a bunch of threads on here and images online with pics of just about every color, type and style combination you care to look at. I wanted a new hard top. After a lot of shopping around getting prices in the tri-state area the best price I could find for one I liked, the way I wanted it, was $2,400. I paid $800 for my cap, and bought new clamps, , a new heavy duty triple bulb seal, installed new screens, and replaced the 3rd brake light, and refinished the paint myself. I have about $150 - $200 into it but it was a lot of work. There are easier ways to get the same results for double that. I immediately knew I was going to do a texture finish after seeing that look on my buddies @UntamedTaco 's Tacoma, and then again on the sliders of another close friends truck @pdenajim that he did himself. Jerry @UntamedTaco went to LineX for his hard top and it looked fantastic. Jim @pdenajim bought bedliner paint for his sliders from Harbor Freight. I went the cheaper route because I wanted the DIY experience and to save a little money. I removed all the windows and the rear door. The windows weren't as big a deal as the rear door. It was still a lot of work. Sanding it all down was not that hard, but I think I might have taken it too far. In hindsight, I should have primer'd it even though the bedliner paint said it wasn't necessary. The bare fiberglass absorbed the paint in some areas and the results at first were less than desirable. I had to work through that and it drove up the price and added a lot of extra time.

It was a great learning experience though so I don't have any regerts. Do your research, and hang out on the NE Craigslist thread. A lot of used hard tops and soft tops in great shape come up for sale on that thread all the time. Depending on your ultimate plans for camping back there, another hard top option a lot of people overlook is a contractors cap. They are taller, usually have racks, and built in storage, and are indestructible. I've seen decent ones go for as low as $200.

Yes, I like a hard top cap.

BtEO1dkdU05h4xPbaIo00v7qK43ukT2pze_46I0r_94473b0dc06968217bd4d2ed4cb5baf017c1806e.jpg

MN0uujCEx-QqtA5j_4m2Ss8ZlEgdQ-ZFUB9bxVrn_2e04940b66d726a484b57d43deafa2c78022593a.jpg

xsNgD-uRm6cgVYtfehzpPzjNPenLoaImlhVFnof1_3fae7eef6608765ce37c78b05d7339e98f6d286d.jpg

pzrDWdFdW5D6QKIcGoN_bSP_stbl6v1E9sZn-yhR_3e70f0db2daa564e1e032f981e58856dd12ebfbe.jpg

NealM00DY[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top