1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MARYLAND TACOMAS

Discussion in 'North East' started by ST3VE, Jan 12, 2012.

1. May 13, 2022 at 5:27 AM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    No need to worry, it's "guaranteed".

Gen1TacoLady likes this.
  2. May 13, 2022 at 5:29 AM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    LOL it just never gets old for me.....:rofl:

Mornin' Mike.

3. May 13, 2022 at 5:33 AM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    Mornin' Y'all!!!

:rain::rain::rain: all weekend long, but......

TGIFF!! :yay:

:typing: I may not make it past lunch. :smash:

Just saying. :wink:

Gen1TacoLady and Taco1004 like this.
  4. May 13, 2022 at 5:34 AM
    hyrule_trd

hyrule_trd It’s a Secret to Everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    Ironman Stage 1 Foam Cell Pro lift kit, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx, SCS BR6 Wheels, SPC UCA, Heated seats, MESO TRD start button, Meso Total Tail v1, Meso V5 mirror white DRL turns, bed decal, ditch and hidden bumper lights, screen protech, RAV4 radio knobs, steering wheel anytime camera kit, dash cam, ECGS bushing, Timbren Active Off Road bump stops with Wheelers flip kit. 35% Xpel CS Ceramic Tint, KD Max Tune, SumoSprings front bump stops, RRW Sliders ‌ ‌ ▲ ▲‌ ▲
    Everything was great, thanks for the recommendation. Next time I will try their chicken cheesesteak

Gen1TacoLady and RobP62[QUOTED] like this.
  5. May 13, 2022 at 5:36 AM
    Gen1TacoLady

Gen1TacoLady I like turtles

Member:
    First Name:
    Pond Princess
    Washington County, MD
    Vehicle:
    '95 Red Tacoma
    Thanks! We're on Morgan Court. I can hear 140 loudly from the house.

6. May 13, 2022 at 6:02 AM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    Mornin' Chip Ohhhh, I thought you meant the stamped mesh grill I was like WTF is happenin' in Sykesville :rasta:

Gen1TacoLady likes this.
  7. May 13, 2022 at 6:02 AM
    Sauer Taco

Sauer Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Finksburg MD
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport DCLB BBP
    Ah, that's awesome. My son's good friend lives in that hood. We rarely hear 140 where I'm at..but once Reese firewall gets going, we certainly hear that...we live near railroad tracks and hear that mostly...that is welcome noise pollution to me, but certainly not for everyone.

8. May 13, 2022 at 6:32 AM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    Ok, but also try the grilled chicken parm. If you like Italian, and chicken, and cheese, you'll like it. Again, since we take it home to eat, we get the sauce on the side and add it at home. I personally prefer less than they would slather on anyway. Since we have the gurls to tend to now also we try to plan for the take-out to stay/be tasty while we prepare their meal. So it's ok to nuke or toaster oven something to revive it a bit. We don't eat out a lot, but when we do it always on the run and when possible, from Tamberino's.

We have four places exclusively. Chipotle, Tamberino's, Royal Farms, and there is a Chinese place we go to right there where Enotria is. I prefer Wegmans sushi. There is a really nice place called Chopstix on Rt 24, where the CVS is, and then there is a place in the shopping center with the Giant. Apparently that guy in there came from some high end place in Baltimore too. I have had their sushi. Great, but like all sushi, exuberant prices. Chopstix is crazy high. I'm going to learn how to make Poke' correctly and start making it myself. The crab place I go to on Bel Air Rd in Fallston (actually Benson zip code) sells sushi grade tuna. All I need to do is make my rice, and add some veg, and make a good sauce. I've seen it made on tv, on a show, where it originated in Hawaii. Wegmans makes a good one. If you take two rolls and mush them together in a bowl it is almost it but not quite. Apparently the trick is to mush, or tear apart, the fish with the blunt edge of a spoon, until it is basically crumbled. I already eat radishes which is a common ingredient.

We try to avoid the OG fast food chain places but aren't immune. Oddly, our absolute dead last choice is Taco Bell. Will I woof down some loaded chalupas with hot sauce in a drunken stupor? Yer Dam Skippy! But we have to be desperate and the cupboards have to be bare. LOL

Actually, I have been cooking since I could reach the stove. When we are out and about, we make fun of how full restaurant parking lots are in Harford County all the time. No one cooks it seems. Yet the grocery stores are always full too. But I like to cook and get a lot of enjoyment out of it. I plan on using my grill more now than ever before too. I may even try to plant some more hot peppers, and tomatoes again since I am more outside and more active now.

The other night I cooked some huge steaks, little red potatoes, and broccoli. We don't eat a lot of red meat but when we do it's either burgers or steaks. We're not above some hot dogs and beans either, with chips or a cold salad.

damn! is it lunch yet!?

9. May 13, 2022 at 6:47 AM
    hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    Ironman Stage 1 Foam Cell Pro lift kit, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx, SCS BR6 Wheels, SPC UCA, Heated seats, MESO TRD start button, Meso Total Tail v1, Meso V5 mirror white DRL turns, bed decal, ditch and hidden bumper lights, screen protech, RAV4 radio knobs, steering wheel anytime camera kit, dash cam, ECGS bushing, Timbren Active Off Road bump stops with Wheelers flip kit. 35% Xpel CS Ceramic Tint, KD Max Tune, SumoSprings front bump stops, RRW Sliders ‌ ‌ ▲ ▲‌ ▲
    You’re making me look forward to that other half of the cheesesteak!
    I’ll have to add the parm to my list of things to try. I also enjoy cooking and grilling and try to most the time. We try to eat out once a week but sometimes it happens more lol.
    Rose loves Chopstix’s but I can’t say I’m a real fan. We used to eat at the one one Honeygo when we lived that way…. Shit, 15 years ago…
    I’ve been eyeing the Japanese place next to giant. I’m partial to hibachi but not from the expensive show places, like Sakura. Fuji Sushi in Featival is our go to for Hibachi… hmmm hibachi….
    We used to get crabs from the place your talking about, the little shop across from WaWA.
    We’re on very dangerous ground here talking about food lol. The next 10 pages are going to be more food and good morning MDs :rofl:

10. May 13, 2022 at 6:48 AM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    Hi Paul, Mornin'!
    Heavy rail or Light rail? We use to live in a part of Baltimore called Greektown. City blocks, row houses, yada yada yada. There is a CSX Heavy rail line right behind the house. It was for the Port Of Baltimore and brought in a lot of vehicles to ship. Coming out the empty cage style cars were much louder. As the train got to a certain point north of us, it had to slow to a crawl. Fast moving trains are loud. Sloooooowwww moving trains are louder. Those wheels would squeal so bad rubbing them rails.

upload_2022-5-13_9-43-32.jpg

Here. so you can see the elevation of the tracks that were literally just high enough to clear all that growth.

upload_2022-5-13_9-45-41.jpg

So you would be out there in the yard having a cookout, enjoying a beverage, and then the train would come. It would back up and go forward a couple of times, then slowly, very slowly either go into the port or come out. It was typically a 45 minute even of screeching at extreme volumes.

After a while, as you said, it became soothing.

Attached Files:

Gen1TacoLady likes this.
  11. May 13, 2022 at 8:29 AM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    Cheesesteak and coffee is the real breakfast of champions Eric. Don't let anyone tell you different. No matter how clogged your arteries become. :anonymous:

Uncle's has sushi classes you know. It would make a nice birthday present for some extra brownie points.......:p
    You're not old enough to have lived anywhere "shit" amount of years LOL. You have to be really old like @Fire Arrow or @greengen1 :devil:

Is Fuji the place that use to be another AYCE place? We went to one there, like the middle unit, perpendicular to 24. It had a huge round, flat "wok" in the one area. You went up and picked out your raw ingredients, and they would cook it it in front of you. Walk in circles with very large chopsticks stirring and flipping it. There's a place we liked to go to over in the Perring Pkwy area, Nichi Bei Kai. Deb's Mom (rip) showed us the place.

One of my first jobs growing up was cooking for Horn & Horn. A local smorgasbord chain from a hundred years ago. I think that's what got me hooked on buffets. Of all my favorite food, all of them are my favorite. So buffets are like temples of gold for me. Deb and I vaca'd one anniversary in Vegas. OMG. Yea, I came home after 3 days 10 lbs heavier. The worst though was recently when my nephew got married in Mexico. It was at the Hard Rock Riviera Maya. We have been to AIC places before and make it a point to only choose them. Well, as I said I am a meat man. I have never been to Fogo De Chow even though I work right by one. They had their own version. You had red and green paddles or chips and if you wanted whatever they were coming around with you either accepted or denied it.

My chips were green for the first 45 minutes and then I gave up. I actually got the meat sweats! It was incredible but I can honestly say now I have a limit. Of course they had other things on the buffet like seafood so I had some of that. The best though was the 24/7 ice cream parlor. I felt like Charlie and found a gold ticket. I could eat as much of any kind of ice cream, cake or pastries or any combination thereof until the sun came up or I passed out.

So yea, being called a bit of a foodie would be an understatement. I will eat anything. Last night, while chopping brussels sprouts, I decided to try them raw. I mean, I've had them finely chopped in salads raw, but I wanted to eat whole leaves. They were really good. I made a soup for Deb. Condensed tomato, a tiny bit of chopped white onion, paprika, tiniest bit of lower sodium salt, some dried crushed roasted garlic. And of course coarsely chopped brussels. First I sautéed the brussels, onion and garlic in some butter until they were very soft. Then I added the soup but not a full can of water and let it simmer for like 30 or so more minutes. It was quite delicious. As soon as I can get some Eastern Sho termaters I'm going to make my own soup, and make it with some Old Bay, more onion, more garlic, and maybe add a lb of crabmeat, or shrimp.

Yea, The Crab Truck Seafood Stop https://www.theseafoodstop.com/Home

When we lived in Highlandtown and rode we spent more time in Harford County than anywhere with our friends. We were getting crabs from that guy when he started out. He had a photo of when it was literally a crab truck on the side of the road across the street from where he is now. He also owns the one up there on 22. It use to be an old gas station. Both places have great crabs. I like females and they sell females so. But their seasoning is very good. The one on Bel Air Rd is where I got the bugs that time. I will buy their crabs and put them in the fridge to get them cold overnight before eating them. I enjoy cold crabs. Just how I was raised. We always had so much all the time we always had them leftover. Have you ever had leftover steamed crabs in spaghetti sauce served over pasta? Scrape about a half a cup of the wet seasoning off the backs of the crabs while removing them. Clean the devils and guts out, leave the mustard, and crack them in half and drop them in legs, claws and all. This is how we'd eat it if both meals were leftover.

When I was in my 20's, and living in Highlandtown, Canton or Greektown, we use to go to a place called Bonnie's Crabs, down on Battle Grove Rd, in Dundalk, right at the Northpoint Drive-In. Super non-descript setup. Remember now, this was before google or cell phones. So you could call, but if Bonnie was busy you got the message. It was a 20 minute drive at best. Her husband would go out the night before, and crab in the morning on the bay. Traditional crabbing boat. And would radio her when he was reaching the mouth of the channel. He would hand her a bushel and she would hand it to you, almost still dripping. These were the old school bushels, not the boxes they use today. "No deposit on the basket?, ok, but I'll bring it back." And that bushel of mixed females I struggled to get into the trunk of the car was $10.00 and if I wanted to splurge, a bushel of mixed males was $20.00

The place up the street from me just started steaming. The wanted $149.00 1/2 bu. a week before Moms day and $199.00 that weekend. Heck, even Don's over on Joppa (and use to be on Bel Air Rd) has a great deal sometimes. Buy a doz, get a half free. I just like females. I like the mustard too. Oh, and I definitely eat the guys. All that nasty stringy shit! I don't eat the devils. Or shells. When I was younger I would take Blue Ribbon bread and make rolled sandwiches of the mushy and firm mustard. MMMmmmm! :hungry:

I had two pop tarts for breakfast.........:pout:

12. May 13, 2022 at 9:03 AM
    hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    I’m almost 40, can shit anywhere I want lol. :bananadead:

Lets see if I can keep my thoughts straight to give you a good response lol…
    Also, I had a pop tart this morning for my breakfast :rofl:

For Fuji, they are facing the Bel Air S. Parkway.
    I’m not sure about the place you’re talking about being there but those style places are awesome! The Mongolian BBQ joints… I’ve not seen one since my time at Bragg. Is it still there?
    I remember Horn and Horn, Sizzler and Bobs big boys lol. Not that we could eat out often growing up. We’ve been to fogo and I also got the meat sweats.. good times but I wouldn’t go back there now…
    As for crabs, we’d only eat them if we caught them, never bought, well at least not while growing up.

13. May 13, 2022 at 9:24 AM
    Gen1TacoLady

Member:
    First Name:
    Pond Princess
    Washington County, MD
    Vehicle:
    '95 Red Tacoma
    I live less than a mile from railroads. I don't mind them as much either. :fistbump:

Lunch at wawa today.:)

14. May 13, 2022 at 9:36 AM
    2ndhandTacoman

2ndhandTacoman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Walter
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '15 Base AC 4x4, 2.7 powerhouse
    3rd gen TRD OR suspension
    Your new job sure gets you moving around a lot, it sounds like you are happy with it! How is your Taco running?

15. May 13, 2022 at 9:57 AM
    2ndhandTacoman

2ndhandTacoman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Walter
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '15 Base AC 4x4, 2.7 powerhouse
    3rd gen TRD OR suspension

Rob-
    You have no idea how much your post hit home for me.. my grandparents ( Moms side) lived in the same area, corner of Fleet St and S. Lehigh St, right next to the corner store. I used to hear the same trains, I was a wee lad at the time.. 6-7 ish. I haven't thought about those memories in a lifetime until I saw your google image.. it just seeming familiar for some reason. It took 30 minutes for it to click inside me noggin'.

My dad used to work for the Canton short line ( before I was born ) so he always had a fascination with trains, especially the steamers. I always had model trains as a kid ( MB Kleins, anyone??) I still like them, the modern diesels are just beyond amazing at what they do but over the past decade I've started to understand the steamers and my Dads love of them. Now where I'm at in Carroll County, I can hear the ore train from the quarry around Keymar going through downtown Westminster. Last summer I was at O'Lordans eating some whangs and the quarry train came right through the middle of town. All of those screeching wheel noises, blaring train horns and rumbling diesel locomotives just put a big grin on my face.

16. May 13, 2022 at 11:34 AM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125

Hard to find but......

JK, you know I got mad respect.

Yes! Mongolian BBQ is what it I believe. And that's a big negatory now there Rubber Duck......... http://www.thaispicebelair.com/Menu/
    But I am going to have to check this place out and get whatever the spiciest dinner item they sell, or some. I don't ever remember eating "Thai" exactly but I'm sure a variation of it. I'm in!

I am going to try Fuji too and tell them that an older, gentleman named Eric with a family and an Asian dog said that your rolls are what bring all your boyfriends to the yard. :kona:

Horn & Horn is where I fell in love with breaded, deep fried chicken livers swimming in a cross between a gravy and an au jus. Do you remember Shakey's Pizza? I think it was called that. It was up in Greektown if memory serves, right on Eastern Ave. @68dave Dave might remember it too. I believe it may have been my introduction to pizza. They had a window you could see into the kitchen where they threw the dough in the air. They even had a step built into the base of the wall for kids to watch because it was such family oriented place. And that was their thing. Plus it occupied the while they waited for their pie.

Yea, I crabbed, fished, hunted, all that stuff. I use to fish for channel cats down somewhere in Middle River, loaded up with 3 leaders, drunk as hell and almost lost a rod. I've been broke down at dusk under the Bay Bridge (again, before cells) in a 16' Donzi for nearly 15 minutes. The electrical had gremlins so no lights either. Was back out there the next weekend. Foe a while, I had a crab pot coffee table in the man cave when we had the city house. Deb was not thrilled but allowed it. I found it on the side of the road one day.

But back in the day we crabbed for the comradery, and fun of being out of the city. In the city we had a guy that drove around with a recycled station wage. It had no back glass and he came around with seafood. Crabs mostly, soft crabs. My absolute favorite seafood meal. I make a great one, but I like them big and plump. Some of the ones I see around town are shameful. I only like fresh and I learned that if you put them in water they can kinda clean themselves out a little like bivalves do, or turtles. The only thing better is an Imperial stuffed soft crab. LOL

Oh, I had leftover pizza for lunch. Supreme. :thumbsup:

17. May 13, 2022 at 11:35 AM
    Gen1TacoLady

Member:
    First Name:
    Pond Princess
    Washington County, MD
    Vehicle:
    '95 Red Tacoma
    It sure does. Getting checked out next week bu a doc to make sure I'm good after all the concrete dust breathing adjustments. I got a respirator now. Otherwise I like it.

Taco is running great. Had to replace the MAF a few weeks ago. But probly taking it out for a trail run sometime after my brother gets home next week. :D

Delta09, Taco1004, Sauer Taco and 2 others like this.
  18. May 13, 2022 at 12:12 PM
    Sauer Taco

Sauer Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Finksburg MD
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport DCLB BBP

ah, that is so cool, I could live near there and be quite happy, except its B'more...no offensive to those living there, city life aint for me....In my kayaking days we would take out at Brunswick VA occasionally. The boat access point required you to cross multiple tracks and was always fun to hang and watch the mixture of trains rolling through. Besides home, any experiences like that I get in WV in Terra Alta near a brewery we like to frequent. Apparently some well known graffiti artist marks a lot of those train cars. I could talk about this stuff for hours....

*edit, my band recorded at a studio in greektown where we had to cross a ton of tracks ...rolled out one late night around 1am, got stuck there for a half hour waiting for that slow train to roll by..

Near the house here, it is all small heavy rail trains moving super slow as they have to cross about 5 roads in a matter of about 2 miles...so like you said, they move slow, loud rumble, and tons of squealing wheels....in my next life I would LOVE to operate a train like that...

Last edited: May 13, 2022
    RobP62[QUOTED] and Gen1TacoLady like this.
  19. May 13, 2022 at 1:21 PM
    hyrule_trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRD OR
    :cheers:

Its all good buddy! I can’t say I remember a lot of the places from when I was in Baltimore, my younger years were in Gardenville.
    Speaking of soft crabs, while I don’t eat them, I see the Delta Pizza or DP lounge in PA puts up great pictures. I hear great things about their pizza and subs too! They’re on the list to try.

5D4E0CA7-7599-4EDE-BEE0-4C92576BAD93.jpg

20. May 13, 2022 at 1:23 PM
    AXL

AXL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Axl
    Maryland
    Grumpy Old Veteran
    Street, MD? Near Darlington, MD/Conowingo Dam?

RobP62[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top