1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

mass air flow meter for 96 4cyl

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by PASteve, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Dec 3, 2009 at 11:26 AM
    PASteve

PASteve [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    96 4 cyl tacoma
    Hey guys, just joined sight. My mass air flow meter is starting to go in my 4cyl 2.7L engine. For some reason I can't get a brand new module(?) only costly remanufactured modules with housing. Brand new modules for trucks built after August 1996 are plentiful and about $125. All I can find for trucks like mine built before August 1996 is a remanufactured module/housing unit for $300 to $800 !! Used parts vary in price and don't usually come with a guarantee to work. I cleaned my old MAF and it greatly improved drivability, but as the weather cools down into the 50's or lower it becomes slugish. I've already replaced the air temp sensor and the coolant temp sensor and even the throtle position sensor. The noticable improvement came after cleaning the MAF. Has anyone dealt with this issue and found out why brand new modules are not available for 96 tacomas built before August. Three or four hundred bucks isn't too bad a price to get back on the road, I just don't understand why all other year's modules are so cheep and available. Thanks for any input. Steve

2. Dec 18, 2009 at 4:28 AM
    PASteve

PASteve [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    96 4 cyl tacoma
    Thanks nutcracker12. I was able to order a rebuilt one from SIA Electronics (siaelec.com) for $130. I'm expecting it to arrive UPS any day now. This company has all kinds of rebuilt automotive electronics or you can send in your own part to have rebuilt. The price was good too. Certainly beats taking a chance on a used part. Still, its odd that brand new MAF meters are so available for 1997 1/2 years on up Tacomas and nothing for a 1996. Thanks for the input.

3. Dec 18, 2009 at 5:15 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is gooder 'en chicken Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+250k AND COUNTING), 88 SR5 PU (SOLD), 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    It still hasn't arrived yet Steve? I hoped it would have arrived by now.

4. Dec 18, 2009 at 5:33 AM
    PASteve

PASteve [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    96 4 cyl tacoma
    Yeah, I'm anxious too, but I guess all the Xmas mail is slowing things up a bit. I'll let you know the results just as soon as I get it. Really appreciate your help.

5. Dec 18, 2009 at 5:41 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is gooder 'en chicken Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+250k AND COUNTING), 88 SR5 PU (SOLD), 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    No problem. :thumbsup:

6. Dec 27, 2009 at 6:03 AM
    PASteve

PASteve [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    96 4 cyl tacoma
    Well, I called the company and they said something about a delay in shipping due to year end inventory. They shipped it Next Day Air at their cost and it arrived the day before Christmas. I popped it in and the truck runs great. Haven't had it in long enough to verify the milage is back to the normal 25+mpg (it had dropped to 20- mpg with the old cleaned mass air flow meter). I'm happy with my smoothe acceleration and better power going up hills. Thanks for everybody's input.

To Top