1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Master cyl, then slave cyl...now what?!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by CliffordBRD, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Jun 15, 2012 at 6:35 AM
    CliffordBRD

CliffordBRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    I've replaced my master cylinder, bench bled it drove fine. Took a rode trip of 1000+ miles. As soon as I was done with the trip something started acting up again, pedal wanted to stick to the floor (I did the linear spring swap so, naturally, the clutch pedal still comes back up, but has no pressure when going down). I replaced the slave cylinder, awesome! Everything has been fine for about two months, but now it is doing the same thing. No idea why though. I bled it last night, tried to get to work today and got it in first and couldn't even shift out because their was no pressure.

What else could this be? I'm stumped.

I'm going to try to bleed out the entire system tonight, but I'm just at a loss right now.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

2. Jun 15, 2012 at 6:42 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Are you using the correct brake fluid?

Are you using a bleeder kit? (vacuum pump, etc)

3. Jun 15, 2012 at 6:59 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Any brake fluid leaks?

If not, then maybe your actual clutch is bad. Try crawling under there, by the slave, and see if you can work the clutch release lever by hand ( I don't think you should be able to).

4. Jun 15, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    CliffordBRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    I just picked up a bleeder kit from Advance...tried it out, no dice. Has a little bit of pressure but once you start pumping it all goes to hell. Going to give it another go in the morning since I couldn't see much tonight.

Try and move the little lever on the slave cylinder? I'll give it a go in the morning and report back.

The guy at advance said the fingers on the pressure plate could be bad...does that make sense?
    When I bought the truck a couple thousand miles ago the guy said the recent previous owner replaced the clutch. The clutch, itself, grabs very well, never had it slip or anything...it's just this pressure issue with the hydraulics.

Any more information/advise/stuff to try out to see the direct issue?

5. Jun 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    hey I just replaced both on mine, and just had a friend pump the clutch. It takes awhile, I would think i was done and then a few bubbles would come out.

6. Jun 17, 2012 at 4:05 PM
    CliffordBRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    I took it to AAMCO...I bled it for like thirty minutes...20 with a bleeder device from advance designed to bleed clutches and brakes. Then since that didn't work I had some help and did it the old way for about fifteen minutes, no air bubbles, still has no feel at all.

I'm figuring it's the pressure plate, bummer.

Think that's what it probably is?

7. Jun 21, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    CliffordBRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Just a heads up, also reporting on customer service and knowledge of this shop. Took it to them, they said it was the slave, understanding some parts can be faulty I said just go ahead and fix it. Well guess what? It wasn't the slave, but low and behold it is the master cylinder! "It has to be, it has to be I am reassured". Reminding both the mechanic and manager that was just replaced two months ago. I asked them both once the master is replaced and it...well, hopefully, fixes the issue will they put back on my old slave since obviously that didn't fix the issue. They said it was leaking, I told them I had been bleeding it for quite some time, which is why fluid was probably around it, also by the mere fact that they replaced it and the issue wasn't fixed yet, why should I pay for something like this.
    The mechanic seemed very content on the master being bad and I have read that the seals can be faulty, so we will see. The customer service, or lack there of, is mind blowing because they are trying to pull a fast one, I feel, and it won't work. I took it to this shop off a recommendation that AAMCO has great service and is helpful, but already feel like I'm trying to get the once over.
    I was told it would be done yesterday, never received a call after I left at 10am, and have yet to receive an update today. I will call them tomorrow if I do not hear from them by my lunch break.
    It is just appalling the way people try to get your business, the manager said, and I quote, "Sir my time is very valuable, so we're going to get it done as fast as possible." At that point I knew I was going to be taking this further than just finishing the job.

Sorry for the rant, but when an issue is over my head and I don't have the resources available I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and this scenario, I feel, is just beginning.

8. Jun 21, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    Newbie123

Newbie123 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 Off Raod DCLB Super white
    My 0.02$, it that its your pressure plate or TOB (throw out bearing) even possibly a broken pivot fork. I'm not savvy with tacomas, just starting to get to know them but i used to build quarter mile race cars and went to school for this stuff. I have experienced your exact problem before and i have had, busted pressure plate springs, broken pivot forks AND shattered TOBs before. All can cause your issue. Although never rule out the fact you bought a faulty part, it happens trust me! You mention the clutch was done recently? Make sure your transmission is FULLY seated to your engine.

9. Jun 22, 2012 at 5:45 AM
    CliffordBRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Clutch grabs fine, it just does it way too quickly. I am leaning towards a pressure plate issue, but the fact that this company are supposed to be transmission "experts" and the fact that they haven't called with a definite resolution bothers me. Understanding some parts are faulty should've been clarified by now.

I appreciate your input, hopefully I'll get out of this one with my pocket still in tact instead of them ripping through it.

10. Jun 22, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    fdmsiv

fdmsiv Member

Member:
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 3.4 5-speed X-cab SR5 TRD
    Went through similar experience, replaced the master and the slave. In the end it was the adjustable linkage that goes through the firewall. The lock nut had come loose and I think the pedal was adjusting itself as it pleased.

11. Jun 22, 2012 at 3:59 PM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    Master cylinders are often faulty especially if they were rebuilt, this is why I only buy NEW hydraulic parts ever.

I have installed several customer supplied parts so they could save money so they bought the "lifetime guarantee" master cylinder thinking it was something great since it had a warranty, it was complete junk, went and got another one, guess what, junk again!! Both of these units were supposedly rebuilt and tested, more like cleaned and reboxed!!

So just an FYI, I know for a fact that most places like Aamco use the cheapest parts they can get to increase profit, that means the rebuilt stuff from a local parts house.

The problem you describe sounds like a master cylinder and not the mechanical portion clutch IMO, sounds like a cheapy master cylinder got slapped in.

12. Jun 22, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    CliffordBRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Well they put in a new master, fixed the issue. Just weird because my mechanic went through two masters, the second being the one that just crapped out, both were OEM parts. This one has a 90 day warranty...so we'll see if it'll go out or not.

Products Discussed in

To Top