1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

math help.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by samsung, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Oct 13, 2016 at 7:39 PM
    rtzx9r

rtzx9r Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bueller
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport
    LS1 swap with nitros.
    Perhaps Canadians ordered 4 pizzas from the USA and paid in CAD funds. Hence only got 3.25 pizza.

2. Oct 13, 2016 at 7:44 PM
    TashcomerTexas

TashcomerTexas My truck is a whiner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DC King Ranch Edition
    Holy shit this is comical.

3. Oct 13, 2016 at 11:01 PM
    jmauvais

jmauvais Received 2 votes in a poll one time.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    ...stuff
    any self respecting student eats at least half of a pizza in one sitting.

Dalandser and Chopper678 like this.
  4. Oct 13, 2016 at 11:14 PM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    I see a lot of these nonsensical questions in my time working and volunteering in schools. The prevalence of it shows the lack of understanding among those who prepare math education materials of how math relates to the real world. When I'm tutoring I make up the majority of my material on my own. It gets results. It's sad to see how many young kids are turned away from math and other subjects because of overpaid people who are poor educators.

Edit: I work in schools where most if not all of the kids are poor and often don't have people at home who can teach them fundamental concepts like algebra and arithmetic. That said it went all the way up to the university where I was a calculus and algebra tutor. The professors who were getting paid to teach their classes would have students who were failing come into the learning center and get the concepts quickly from someone getting paid $11.50 an hour.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    Drewski likes this.
  5. Oct 13, 2016 at 11:28 PM
    big_jarv

big_jarv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro
  6. Oct 14, 2016 at 12:31 AM
    zenn1102

zenn1102 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    97 taco 4x4
    Dalasander,

If this issue you speak of is truly the fault of poor educators, please share your solution to the problem. Not trying to be difficult, just would like to hear your opinion on the subject.

7. Oct 14, 2016 at 12:44 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Teaching is like surfing - surfing a student. If someone's not familiar with surfing then I will explain it in this way - when you're surfing a wave you either get too far ahead of the breaking wave and lose momentum and sink because the wave is now behind you or you end up getting crushed because you fall too far back in the breaking part of the wave because you didn't have enough speed. Teaching works the same way where if someone can't work within the zone of proximal development of a student (where they're "at" and one step ahead of that) then they either go way "over their heads" and the students are lost or they give them busy work and are inundated by disinterested students who end up swamping the room with problematic behaviors. Now the gifted teacher like the gifted surfer can ride the snot out of a wave or a student's ability level and come all the way to shore - ready to paddle out another day.

This takes the ability of a teacher to assess their students' interests, differentiate the material to match their students' ability levels, and an effective method of pre and post testing to keep a realistic idea of what their students are learning and how well their teaching techniques are working. I've worked with a range of students from college engineering students in Calculus to Kindergarten students with severe learning disabilities learning how to first draw a circle or a straight line and the principles I have shared have been found to apply to each and every one of them. There are great teachers out there, however they're not found often in the areas where I work - location-wise and population-wise where I work with urban students with learning disabilities that seem to be a magnet for people who a. don't know how to teach and b. are deficient in their knowledge of their own subject areas or at least their ability to apply their knowledge to their students' ability and potential.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    samsung[OP] and zenn1102[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Oct 14, 2016 at 12:58 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    And you got to use a common core math solution, which is 4 times as much work. Because the rest of us who were tought the "new math" don't really understand math.

9. Oct 14, 2016 at 1:02 AM
    zenn1102

zenn1102 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    97 taco 4x4
    Great analogy and response sir. I thoroughly respect and commend you for your efforts, passion, and overall work in helping others.

10. Oct 14, 2016 at 1:06 AM
    Gingerbeard Man

Gingerbeard Man Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    North Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DCSB Sport 4x4
    Icon stage 3 tubular 285/70/17 Toyo ATII
    This is why I don't have children, that and dirty diapers!

Dalandser likes this.
  11. Oct 14, 2016 at 1:12 AM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    Save dat $
    Err'body special.

Dalandser likes this.
  12. Oct 14, 2016 at 1:34 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    I always tell parents I have the easy job. I get nights and weekends off while they can't even call in sick!

I learned about new math in my master's and math classes and it was found that the program failed because of a lack of adequate training for teachers in the new style of teaching. Based on my experience in observing other students in the teaching program I was in a few years ago, the same thing is happening again with common core math.

13. Oct 14, 2016 at 1:36 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Thanks a lot. That means a lot - it's been a tough semester. Keep asking the important questions! Have a good day. :)

samsung[OP] and zenn1102[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top