1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MaxLife Higher Mileage Motor Oil

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by drmax, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Dec 19, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    drmax

drmax [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    IND
    Vehicle:
    95 DLX 4WD
    Hello. My tacoma has 186K on her...don't smoke or use oil. Without getting into a debate of whether or not to use Seafoam in the crankcase, I'll simply make the statement "I am not going to use Seafoam in the crankcase" and that's that.
    I have used the MaxLife Higher Mileage Motor Oil 10-30 since around 90K miles. I change my oil every 3K miles and all appears to me normal. I would, however like to use some sort of motor oil, for the next few oil changes, that would gradually remove sludge and deposits from within motor. (valve noises) It was recommended to use Pennzoil platinum or ultra, but is a full synthetic. I know that using a full synthetic at this stage of the motors life will not hurt anything (and only for less that 10K miles) but I didn't want to piss away money on something that would not remove any crud from within. Can anyone backup using the Pennzoil to perform the task I'm looking for? Thank you, DM

2. Dec 19, 2011 at 8:12 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Use royal purple the next few oil changes. There are enough detergents in it that will gradually clean the crud. Get a good oil filter as well. Check out chris4x4's write up on oil filters on the forum. Seems toyota has the best. If you still have sticking valves, just pop the valve covers off and clean em' up yourself. It's not as hard as you think. Good luck

3. Dec 19, 2011 at 8:37 PM
    drmax

Member:
    IND
    Vehicle:
    95 DLX 4WD
    Ok, I'll look into royal purple (never heard of it until now) I'll do some googling. Thank you for the reply...DM

4. Dec 27, 2011 at 3:08 AM
    motorking

motorking motorking

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    detroit
    Vehicle:
    97 Wrangler, 6" lift, 35's, fox shocks
    Hi,
    I am the tech manager at FRAM filters. Castrol oil has very high detergent levels, you may want to try that. In any event, if you know your engine is sludged up and are trying to remove the sludge, make sure you use a high capacity oil filter like FRAM XG or others. Extended life filters are designed for synthetic oil and have up to 3x's the capacity to trap and hold dirt as a standard filter. Using a standard filter while suspending sludge will quickly fill a normal filter and cuase the filter bypass valve to open. Then you are just cycling very dirty oil through the engine.

5. Dec 27, 2011 at 4:50 AM
    drmax

Member:
    IND
    Vehicle:
    95 DLX 4WD
    Valvoline high mileage (any high mileage oil) has high detergent. the oem yota filters i ordered and just received are a high capacity filter. thx for your input.

6. Dec 27, 2011 at 6:36 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    So how do you know that the engine is sludged up? With 3K oil change intervals it should be fairly clean, and does it call for 10-30 0r 5-30?

IMHO 3K oil changes is a waste of money run it at least 5K.

7. Dec 27, 2011 at 12:31 PM
    drmax

Member:
    IND
    Vehicle:
    95 DLX 4WD
    either or, according to the book. i don't really guess it's sludged, as the more i've read. the stuff i've been using most likely has kept it clean. unsure if it's worth the $ to upgrade to synthetic, or not. thx

Products Discussed in

To Top