1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Max's wanna be overland build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by 92LandCruiser, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Jan 31, 2011 at 4:51 PM
    sierrahsky

sierrahsky Expedition Style

Member:
    Ya you must have a hi-lift lol. And it always help to actually bring recovery kit !

2. Feb 5, 2011 at 10:08 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Pulled out a couple of stock vehicles out in Boca yesterday, always good fun. One kid had been there all night in his 4runner, woefully unprepared, said he had been melting bags of snow for drinking water. Got out only to get stuck again trying to turn around on the road. His buddy showed up to help him and got stuck as well. Took a few minutes with the winch and I had both of them out and headed back home. At least neither panicked and called 911.

Also managed to get myself stuck before I found them, winched out easy enough. It seems that when I find people stuck they're usually only slightly stuck but under prepared. When I get myself stuck I bury my truck to the frame somehow. Winch and bumper was some of the best money I've ever spent!

3. Feb 6, 2011 at 10:06 PM
    sierrahsky

Member:
    I am not going to boca anymore. Some guy got his HUGE ASS motorhome trailer thing stuck and as I was airing up asked if I could pull it out. Then told me he lost his tow hitch pin and wanted mine. But I couldnt give him mine so I gave him a smaller one, and he was pretty much on slick tires!

I think boca is just to easy of access for people who are either not prepared or just people who take risk's they shouldnt. I mean when you and i were there we had a blast, got stuck, and got out. We came with everything needed and then some, had a great time, and nothing broke.

I am sticking with Dog valley and prosser until the snow goes away. This is just crazy talk.

4. Feb 6, 2011 at 11:42 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I forgot to mention they also offered me weed after I pulled them out. Hahahaha

5. Feb 7, 2011 at 2:11 AM
    sierrahsky

Member:
    ROFL, That sounds like boca! My guy just gave me 15 dollars lol.

6. Feb 8, 2011 at 12:44 AM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
  7. Feb 12, 2011 at 2:35 AM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    When I purchased my winch over this summer my thoughts in doing so were that I had twice on occasion needed a winch. The first was when I was stuck in the snow 70 yards from Hwy50 on Austin summit, the second was in North Dakota when I came around a forest road to find a Titan teetering on the edge of the road and a 15' drop off. The only way to extract would have been a winch and a snatch block. The small cost of the Smittybilt XRC8 was justified in my mind.

Little did I know how valuable a winch would become to me.

This winter I've used it probably a dozen times, some for myself, some for others. Some of the best money I've spent by far. I was worried it would crap out on me but so far it's done absolutely fantastic. If it does die hopefully it will die in a situation where I'm not dependent on it, and if it does I'll consider another one but I might spend more money and get a Warn 9k.

Tonight I got a call from a fellow TWer and friend that a couple trucks were stuck out in dog valley and needed a winch to help em out. One was stuck trying to get around an abandoned Jeep patriot on the trail (WTF?)

[​IMG]

The other, an excursion, blew out its front hubs and then got stuck trying to turn around.

I winched the Durango out from next to the Jeep quickly. Checked out the Jeep and it had no attachment points front or rear to be found. Decided it wasn't worth messing with. Went back up the hill and found Josh and a Jeep trying to extract the stuck Excursion. The jeep was using Josh's Tacoma as an anchor and they were both still sliding towards the Ford. I hooked up to it as well and we used both winches to pull, Josh still an anchor for the Jeep. Worked like a charm and we had him out rollin. Wish I had some video of tonight. Need to get that GoPro!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Better than anything I could have been doing. A sort of friend got really drunk at his birthday party and jumped off the balcony of my friends 3rd story apt.

Glad I didn't go to that... I had a good night!

8. Feb 12, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    sierrahsky

Member:
    Ya max that winch has pretty much been worth the money I would say. I cant wait to get one. THen I can really enjoy. That winch must give you a ton of piece of mind knowing that your good even in a worst case.

You and I need to start a business pulling people out of boca and Dog valley, maybe charge them gas + $20. After a season I could have a fancy bumper like yours!

9. Feb 12, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    Damn, I need a winch! Looks like you've been having a lot of fun with yours!

10. Feb 12, 2011 at 5:33 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Haha, peace of mind! I'm always worried that p.o.s is gonna give out on me when I need it most. Next time I'm getting a Warn haha

In all fairness it's been absolutely great. Not a bad buy for $300! If I put both spares in the bed and bought a Warn I could move that guy to the rear then I'd be set!

:D

11. Feb 12, 2011 at 7:36 PM
    sierrahsky

Member:
    That would be sweet! I am going to try and get a superwinch since they seem to be a good price and a middle of the road workhorse.

Even with dual winches you would never have got that ford out! lol

12. Feb 12, 2011 at 8:52 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    On another note after how well this pallet worked out in Boca, and it's bonus features, I decided to keep it in the bed.

I also realized that we set the weaker pallet off to the side of the road, after I destroyed it, and as we winched forward we forgot to throw it in once we got going. Oops!

Aside from being an awesome platform in the snow or I imagine sand/mud as well, it also doubles as a cool platform to throw the spare/hi-lift/shovel on.

My redneck sand ladder :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also saw this on a lifted powerstroke, it's unlike anything I've ever seen before.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Mar 4, 2011 at 12:33 AM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
  14. Mar 4, 2011 at 4:24 AM
    udy2554

udy2554 NORTHERN RED-NECK

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Toytec ULK, Light Racing UCA's, OME Dakar rear leaves, ARB Bumper with XRC8 winch, Good Year Duratracs 285/70/17's on 17x9" Level 8 Strike 6's. Leer cap in the winter. Pioneer Double Din with BT, iPod, etc. Boston Acoustic components in all 4 doors with a Sony amp, powered 8" sub. Ultra gauge, Tom Tom...
    OOPS...where'd THAT go?

15. Mar 4, 2011 at 10:50 AM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Where and when are what I'd like to know :D

In other news, went on a recovery the other night. Couple kids stuck in the mud off the road. They were at the base of a real slick hill and the bottom was plenty soft. A Chevy 2500 and an Excursion (the same excursion I pulled out of the snow lol). The Blazer on 40's yanked the chevy out and up the hill and then we set to work on the Excursion. I had to pull the Blazer out as he tried to get around the excursion and it turned into soup. The ground broke and it turned into liquid. Got him out and he parked in a wide ditch lined with rocks and tried to winch the excursion out, which only pulled him forward. With a curb weight of 7100lbs stock that excursion is a heavy SOB so I ran a line from the road down with a couple straps to reach him. A third winch showed up on a Jeep and we said why not and ran a third line to it. A short while later and he was out of his hole and turned up the hill. He tried to get going again but simply sank in. We had to unspool the cable on the Blazer as it had piled up on one side and all of the sudden we hear the excursion's engine screaming and see it fly up and over the top of the hill. Rocked his way to freedom. Hit the carwash and 13$ and 25 mins later I had a clean truck and straps. It's fun to go out and it's nice to know a couple people around here "owe" me, although they'd be there for me anyway.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Mar 4, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Toytec ULK, Light Racing UCA's, OME Dakar rear leaves, ARB Bumper with XRC8 winch, Good Year Duratracs 285/70/17's on 17x9" Level 8 Strike 6's. Leer cap in the winter. Pioneer Double Din with BT, iPod, etc. Boston Acoustic components in all 4 doors with a Sony amp, powered 8" sub. Ultra gauge, Tom Tom...
    I've pulled a few vehicles out this winter too. Not quite as stuck as that though. I think it's one of the best parts of wheeling.

Know your shit baby!! Way to go!!:thumbsup:

17. Mar 5, 2011 at 4:03 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    ;) Thanks!

Here is the latest... these have been sitting in my garage for a month, waiting for me to weld em on. Finally got someone to help me out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Mar 5, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    udy2554

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I'm jealous!:D

I gotta curb the spending for a bit. Sliders and skids are gonna be a need! And a front air locker/onboard air.

19. Mar 5, 2011 at 8:04 PM
    sierrahsky

Member:
    Damn max looking good! Cant wait to test these out! WE need to do a hi-lift test soon! lol

20. Mar 6, 2011 at 4:16 AM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I hear you about the spending, then again I've spread my build over 4 years. Yours has transformed quick! Looks great though.

I'd hate to ruin my new rattle can job Josh. :rofl:

Products Discussed in

To Top