1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Maxxis Razr AT-811, The Ranger's Review

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Maticuno, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Aug 12, 2021 at 8:19 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno [OP] Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    First and foremost, yes, this review is covering the tires as installed on a Silverado 2500. While not in the same realm as most of the trucks on this site, this is where I started writing tire reviews, and Tacoma World has far more traffic than any of the Duramax forums. You're stuck with me, folks.

I had been on the search for a new set of tires almost immediately after buying my truck. At the time, there was nothing really wrong with the Kelly Edge AT tires that came new on it, but they were just so boring that I daydreamed and window shopped for more interesting options. Fast forward a year, and the Kelly's developed a cracking ring in the middle of the sidewall on all four tires, which sped up my search. While the Falken Wildpeak AT3W was my go to tire for quite some time, Falken seems to have realized their budget performer could command a premium, and prices reflect this. Another thread in this sub-forum brought the Maxxis Razr AT-811 into my consciousness. I had only ever known Maxxis tires from their ROV/ATV lines, so I was surprised to find that, not only did they make truck tires, they are actually quite popular among our off-roading allies in Australia. For an LT265/75R16E tire, the Razr AT is approximately $20 per tire cheaper than the Falkens. I pulled the trigger through SimpleTire and had them shipped to an American Tire Depot near me. Installation was paid for in advance, through SimpleTire. All I did was order, select an install date, and show up for the appointment. The only additional out of pocket was the California Tire Disposal Fee.

MR1.jpg
    MR2.jpg
    MR3.jpg
    MR4.jpg
    MR5.jpg

Installation went really well, and they balanced out better than almost any other tire I've run. One tire has 3oz of weight, one has 2oz, one has only 1/2oz, and one had no weights at all! The balance is glass smooth at all (legal) speeds I've had a chance to run them so far. After a bit of adjustment for ride harshness and a chalk test, the tires are set at 46psi front and 35psi rear for no-load, daily driving. With California's extreme drought, I doubt I'll get any wet weather driving experience anytime soon. For now, I wanted to start the review and picture dump, and I'll update as I go along.

MR6.jpg
    MR7.jpg
    MR8.jpg

15/32" measured tread depth new.
    MR9.jpg

13/32" measured siping depth.
    MR10.jpg

Approximately 8.5" tread width.
    MR11.jpg

Approximately 30.5" mounted and loaded tire height.
    MR12.jpg

On Road Handling

For as aggressive looking as the tread patch is on these tires, the typical AT howl is barely noticeable at speed. They track straight and true; no pulling left or right. Turn in is immediate, with only a little bit of lug roll before they catch up and give you full steering input. There is no "walking" feeling you get at low speeds like is common in other, large void all terrains. While running late to an appointment today, I had a chance to get the truck up to (redacted)MPH on the freeway. They seem as smooth as any other fairly aggressive all-terrain: not glassy, but definitely not a swamper. Acceleration onto the on ramp felt planted, with no tendency to hop or side shift, even when hitting expansion joints on the long, circular ramp. Lane changes and moderate stops were predictable and confident.

Off Road Handling

The Maxxis Razr offers up a ton of traction on hard packed dirt and soft sand. It took a fair amount of throttle, even with the diesel torque, to make them break loose while climbing hills. They were also (to my kids disappointment) very resistance to drifting corners. I'd have needed clearer lines of sight and a fair bit more pedal to wag the tail for funsies. While the soft sand I tested in wasn't terribly deep, the Razrs did not really want to sink in. As you can see from the photos, even with a heavy diesel truck, they would only settle down a little bit before the sidewall biters dug in and pulled the truck through. Engaging 4 wheel drive was not necessary, even after stopping on a rutted hill for a photo op. The G80 diff worked well to keep both rear tires applying forward progress. I'm very impressed with the abilities of the Maxxis Razr so far.

MR13.jpg
    MR14.jpg
    MR15.jpg

7,500 Mile Update
    After 7,500 miles, I reached my first tire rotation. Tires have worn to about 11-12/32nds. Not unreasonable for being on a heavy diesel truck. Shortly after rotating the tires, I traded the Duramax in for a newer, fully loaded Suburban 2500. I like the Maxxis Razr so much that I had the dealer work in swapping the wheels and tires from my traded Silverado to the 'Burb. Fit perfectly and look great!

[​IMG]
    DSC00600.jpg
    DSC00601.jpg
    DSC00603.jpg

20,000 Mile Update:
    With 20k on the clock, the Maxxis Razr is still performing well. Wear seems to have slowed a bit, holding at 8/32nds as of this post. Current estimate is 40k before they will be done, which is about average for how I drive. I have had these in heavy rain, light snow and ice, and road construction mud. They still perform extremely well, and are still very quiet. I was actually in the process of ordering a bunch of these for my work fleet, but right before I could pull the trigger, a new mandatory tire contract dropped.

MRZR20K1.jpg
    MRZR20K2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
  2. Aug 13, 2021 at 12:43 PM
    OuchIDied

OuchIDied Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver Sky Tacoma Off-Road
    You're 100% welcomed here with the reviews and insight you provide on tires. Thanks man. New truck and these tires on are the radar.

3. Aug 14, 2021 at 2:37 PM
    Maticuno

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    Updated with a bit of on and off-road experience.

Loan Wolve likes this.
  4. Aug 19, 2021 at 11:40 AM
    Maticuno

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    Another small update with more highway-oriented driving.

MAC07 and Soul Surfer like this.
  5. Jul 8, 2022 at 4:59 PM
    Maticuno

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    7,500 mile / new vehicle update.

6. Nov 29, 2022 at 7:50 AM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    Still digging these? The wife got a 5th gen t4r and it came with BFG at ko2s I can't wait to get off and saw these in 285/70 for under $200 a piece I'm thinking about putting on it

Maticuno[OP] likes this.
  7. Dec 4, 2022 at 12:47 PM
    Maticuno

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    I'm considering buying these in bulk to throw on my off-road work fleet.

yota243 likes this.
  8. May 5, 2023 at 7:45 PM
    Road_Warrior

Road_Warrior There is nothing on my horizon except everything

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black SR5 4x4
    Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to write this review. I’m trying to decide on my next set of tires and this was helpful.

Maticuno[OP] likes this.
  9. May 19, 2023 at 8:03 AM
    MulletTaco

MulletTaco Wannabe prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Somewhere in AZ
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    Removed some stuff, added some stuff.
    Definitely considering these. Thanks for the leg work!

Road_Warrior and Maticuno[OP] like this.
  10. Jun 25, 2023 at 10:34 AM
    Maticuno

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    20K mile update.

Road_Warrior likes this.
  11. Jun 25, 2023 at 10:40 AM
    Road_Warrior

Road_Warrior There is nothing on my horizon except everything

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black SR5 4x4
    Thanks for providing the continued updates. These are in the top 2 for my next tire thanks to your reviews.

Maticuno[QUOTED][OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top