1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Maybe I'll work on my..... something.

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by windsor, May 28, 2015.

1. May 28, 2015 at 12:14 PM
    windsor

windsor [OP] Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    image.jpg
    So, I'm thinking about working on my trailer a bit. I'm debating on either drive over or flip down fenders. Anyone built either? Have suggestions?
    I've had it a couple years and it has worked great for my car, but it could be better. A couple other things I am thinking of doing will include anchors for tire straps, frame work for a removable deck to cover the middle (currently open), eventually maybe some suspension work.

Gunshot-6A likes this.
  2. Jun 1, 2015 at 10:49 PM
    Broke Okie Ty

Broke Okie Ty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    California/Oregon/ Now in Montana
    Vehicle:
    01 trd with some stuff
    Armor, winch, other stuff
    I have built drive over fenders out of 1 3/4" tube in .120 wall and then skinned it with 14ga sheet metal. That with stands the one ton chevy on 44s. As for the middle, I would do some Rumber.

ChadsPride likes this.
  3. Jun 2, 2015 at 5:59 AM
    windsor

windsor [OP] Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    I picked up some 2x3 angle iron to build braces out of along with some 5/8" (6300lb) weld down d-rings and some stake pockets.
    Found the fenders I am going to get. They are 1/8" plate. Just have to save up a little more money since I spent this months budget on other stuff.
    Right now, I am waiting for it to dry up a bit before I get out and start welding on it.
    image.jpg
    Got the center supports mostly welded in today (picture was just when the back half was tacked in). My back couldn't take anymore, so I stopped for the day. I'll finish it up tomorrow and go get some 2x6s on Saturday. Still working in the design for the drop down spare tire carrier.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  4. Jun 5, 2015 at 5:05 PM
    windsor

windsor [OP] Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    image.jpg
    Deck boards cut down. I used 2x8x16s cut down to 12'3" with the center board narrowed. Thinking about using Behr Deckover on it. I was going to build a flip up section of the center to cover a storage tray for straps, but instead I think I will make a pull out drawer that comes out the side. My cousin is learning to build boats, so I will probably have him build a box out of aluminum with a 1/2 flip up lid.
    I ran out of welding rods, so I have to pick some up to finish welding a couple of the supports.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    Manfred likes this.
  5. Jun 8, 2015 at 8:03 PM
    windsor

windsor [OP] Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Supports got finished (primed and painted gloss black). Boards got 3 coats of Behr Deckover. I pulled the carriage bolts down level with the boards, filled the holes with Deckover, then did the 3rd coat on the top. I still need to get some recessed mount d-rings (next month).
    I tacked on the side stake pockets but it got a little too warm out there, so I decided I will weld them up tomorrow morning. I will also put on the front and back stake pockets which will make it so the decked area can be railed up if needed.
    Still waitin for my car's spindles to get done at the shop (having new bushings pressed in and reamed for the kingpin) so I can get the car/trailer to the scale to get the placement of the weld down d-rings figured out. Then I will be adding some supports below where the tires will be.
    I went ahead and ordered a pair of fabricated steel fenders that should be in next week. I decided to make them flip down fenders since I may lower my car in the future.
    image.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    BassAckwards and ChadsPride like this.
  6. Jun 8, 2015 at 8:54 PM
    Broke Okie Ty

Broke Okie Ty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    California/Oregon/ Now in Montana
    Vehicle:
    01 trd with some stuff
    Armor, winch, other stuff
    nice work, I like the box idea

7. Jun 8, 2015 at 9:08 PM
    windsor

windsor [OP] Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. I'm still running ideas through my mind about the box. I'm not sure on placement or how many I want to do. I have room for 2 or 4 depending on how I handle the A-frame. I am thinking about replacing the A-frame with one that is stepped so my hitch doesn't have to be so low. If I do that, I am playing ideas of putting a "deck" on it with the spare tire under it in a simple drop down cradle like what the mid-late 80s Rangers used. I plan on taking the trailer up to a local trailer builder to see what they say on replacing it.
    It started as a very good car trailer, but that's all it was good for. Lots of ideas to make it a very good overall trailer.

8. Jun 9, 2015 at 7:33 PM
    windsor

windsor [OP] Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Got a call that my fenders came in at 4:30. Picked them up and I'm pleased with them, just have to modify them to my ideas. I'll get a better picture tomorrow.
    image.jpg
    Fenders cut off (still have to grind the frame smooth).
    image.jpg
    New fender set on to get an idea of how they will sit. I'm going to make it so the edge where it drops straight down is even with the deck. That will make it so I know I'll have enough clearance when I upgrade to 15s. Still running ideas for flip down. Or make them removable entirely. Removable would be easier.
    image.jpg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  9. Jun 13, 2015 at 9:25 PM
    windsor

windsor [OP] Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Been getting my '40 back together, so I'm kinda slow on the trailer.
    Pulled the wheels off today to clean and paint the frame that was behind the old fenders. Rear axle decided not to play nice. 2 studs on pass side were damaged by the nuts, 3 on the driver side were damaged and one snapped off. I pulled the hubs off and hammered all the studs out, I'll get new ones on Monday and press them in.

10. Jun 18, 2015 at 1:28 PM
    windsor

windsor [OP] Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Fenders bolted down to where they will be. Taking them in on Monday to be sandblasted and sprayed with Line-X. Had to have them on to take the car to get an alignment done now that it has new wheels and tires (along with a disc brake conversion and rebuild suspension).
    image.jpg

11. Jul 12, 2015 at 8:59 PM
    windsor

windsor [OP] Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Took the fenders to LineX to arrange to have them pick the fenders up from the sand blaster they use and had them go ahead and write up the slip for the fenders. They doubled the price from what they told me over the phone ($250 to $500). I ended up taking them to someone else who sandblasted and powder coated them for $125 for the pair.

12. Jul 18, 2015 at 1:13 PM
    windsor

windsor [OP] Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Added 8 tie down points to the deck. 4 in the middle going inward, 4 on the corners angled in at 45*.
    image.jpg image.jpg

mcm808 and scottalot like this.
  13. Aug 12, 2015 at 8:21 PM
    windsor

windsor [OP] Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Was going to put a winch on the front of the trailer and get a new A frame/tongue. Unfortunately, I blew the rear main seal in my car so that has to be done. While I have the motor out, I am going to redo everything (get rid of front and mid plate and put in '64 B Body motor mounts and put a mehanical w/p on it) and build a new recessed firewall to move the motor back.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    scottalot and NM Lance like this.
  14. Aug 14, 2015 at 9:39 PM
    windsor

windsor [OP] Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Firewall is no more.
    image.jpg

ScrippsRanch67 and scottalot like this.
  15. Aug 18, 2015 at 5:24 PM
    windsor

windsor [OP] Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
  16. Aug 19, 2015 at 3:00 PM
    windsor

windsor [OP] Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
  17. Aug 19, 2015 at 3:07 PM
    doyouevenprerun

doyouevenprerun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake from state farm
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    02 TuRD
    just got a simple lift on her
    Liking both builds :) keep up the good work!

18. Aug 20, 2015 at 7:22 PM
    windsor

windsor [OP] Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Just have to fab up the trans tunnel and weld the tunnel/toe board/firewall together. Have to trailer it to the radiator shop tomorrow to get it measured for a new radiator. I'll get my driveshaft shortened on the 30th.
    image.jpg image.jpg

scottalot likes this.
  19. Aug 20, 2015 at 7:28 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Fellow trailer builder here, also. I lean towards tilt bed car haulers myself, but your ramp load trailer looks awesome. Subscribed.

KO

20. Aug 21, 2015 at 8:31 PM
    windsor

windsor [OP] Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. A tilt deck was a bit out of my $ range when I got it. Next on the trailer will definately be a new A-frame/tongue, I am getting tired of dragging my hitch every time I pull in/out of the driveway.
    Started fabbing up the trans tunnel.
    image.jpg

To Top