1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MBRP Exhaust

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Chinkhow, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Nov 18, 2017 at 6:23 AM
    santas212

santas212 I'm on a boat!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Georgetown, CT
    Vehicle:
    '09 DCLB, TRD Sport, Barcelona Red
    Mostly miscellaneous electronic mods.... -2 spare Electrical fuse blocks hard wired to the battery with a key on relay. -Hard Wired Radar detector over rearview mirror. -2 Dual Whelen Avenger blue LED emergency lights, one on each side of the rearview mirror. -EP911 Blue LED Light Bar & Traffic Advisor, Rear Windows. -4 corner amber strobes in stock lights. -Hardwired RF Scanner with external speaker under center console. -Huskyliner front splash guards -Fireband 2 way radio in center console. -Herculiner painted on hitch and skid plate. -Switch to power one 12v socket when truck is off. -AntiDark LED strip under hood with switch. -Timbren Rubber Springs - Rear -MBRP Offroad Cat-Back with Resonator -Duratrac's -Provisor -Color matched hood bug shield
    Got the exhaust insert installed yesterday. I used the three disc insert with the end caps installed. (Had a friend tac weld the ends on). It was a little tight to jam it in and I had to grind the disc edges a little where the MFR process stamped them out because they were flared outward a bit. Put in a stainless set screw into the exhaust pipe to keep it from sliding back. I called the mfr before installing and the guy very happily answered all my questions, very friendly.

I immediately noticed a noise reduction right from start up. Once I got it on the road it was quiet enough that I could hear the exhaust leak between the stock cat pipe and the new mbrp pipe. (New gasket will be at NAPA this morning)

I’m going to take a longer trip this morning and get some highway time so that will really be telling. But I would say this thing is a drone killer for sure. Hopefully it doesn’t mess with my MPG too much because I did notice an increased efficiency with the new exhaust only.

2. Nov 18, 2017 at 10:14 AM
    goshgo27

goshgo27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport (double cab)
    center console organizer MBRP exhaust Automatic tailgate lock
    Good to hear! I picked up a new gasket the other day as well. Is welding required for this install? I was hoping it would be a mallet tap in and G2G. I might reinstall new exhaust today w/o the insert to have a new baseline for comparison. Although, I'd hate to waiste an $18 gasket and have to rip apart the exhaust that never wants to come apart, a second time

3. Nov 19, 2017 at 10:43 AM
    santas212

santas212 I'm on a boat!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Georgetown, CT
    Vehicle:
    Mostly miscellaneous electronic mods.... -2 spare Electrical fuse blocks hard wired to the battery with a key on relay. -Hard Wired Radar detector over rearview mirror. -2 Dual Whelen Avenger blue LED emergency lights, one on each side of the rearview mirror. -EP911 Blue LED Light Bar & Traffic Advisor, Rear Windows. -4 corner amber strobes in stock lights. -Hardwired RF Scanner with external speaker under center console. -Huskyliner front splash guards -Fireband 2 way radio in center console. -Herculiner painted on hitch and skid plate. -Switch to power one 12v socket when truck is off. -AntiDark LED strip under hood with switch. -Timbren Rubber Springs - Rear -MBRP Offroad Cat-Back with Resonator -Duratrac's -Provisor -Color matched hood bug shield

Take a look at their website http://www.carchemistry.com/

They have those “end caps” that are only used if you want to get maximum noise reduction. The end caps should be welded on, they won’t stay on. You could probably get by with adding a couple of set screws in each end to hold them on.

Driving longer yesterday I still noticed the “drone tone “ during certain driving conditions but it was massively reduced. Probably just have it on my mind to listen to it but I think with a little time I would forget about it. If you want the best noise reduction I would say look at their silencer insert (4disk).

If you talk to the mfr and order direct maybe you could get them to tac on the end caps for you?

Also I may order the fourth disk for my insert to get just a little more reduction but I’ll Probably wait a while.

Also new gasket installed, much better without that leak noise.

4. Nov 19, 2017 at 4:09 PM
    goshgo27

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the tips! Glad your truck is sounding better. I actually found a short ss resonator that I might order. I have to put it after the muffler though, which I don't think is ideal. Take care

5. Nov 19, 2017 at 7:53 PM
    santas212

santas212 I'm on a boat!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Georgetown, CT
    Vehicle:

Yea I would say this is a waste of your time. Go with the silencer insert you’ll be happy

6. Nov 27, 2017 at 5:17 PM
    goshgo27

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    I reinstalled my MBRP exhaust and I am pleasantly pleased with the improvement in sound. My original MBRP exhaust was unidirectional but it turns out that the second muffler I tried is not. Also, to make things worse, the drawing in the instructions is incorrect, which is why I believe I installed it backwards. MBRP said the MBRP on the muffler should always be visible (left to right) from the passenger side and all of their systems are this way. The installation drawing was opposite. The exhaust is a little quieter but most importantly, it has a much more consistent sound with less resonance. Also, I noticed my truck did not rev high today when i was on my commute home. There is an incline that previously caused an annoying loud sound. I hope the previous install didn't mess with my engine. So, if you have a MBRP muffler, check the direction if it sounds funny. Specific part numbers can be found in an earlier post.

7. Dec 4, 2017 at 1:01 AM
    santas212

santas212 I'm on a boat!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Georgetown, CT
    Vehicle:

My muffler only could go one way because of where the hangars were pre-attached. but maybe I should look at the resonator for proper direction? I can’t imagine it would make that much of a difference it looked completely Identical on either end inside and out.

8. Jul 28, 2018 at 9:38 AM
    Tacosrus

Tacosrus Carpe Diem

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Pearl SR5 DCSB
    I know this an old thread. But did the insert help and where did u install it. Thanks

9. Jul 28, 2018 at 10:18 AM
    santas212

santas212 I'm on a boat!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Georgetown, CT
    Vehicle:

Yes definitely! I purchased the three baffle insert and had the extra caps welded on. If I was doing it again I think I would purchase the “silencer” they sell. It’s a 4 baffle unit. I installed just back from the cat-back junction. I put in a 1/4” machine screw to hold the insert and this was not enough to hold back the exhaust force. It bent the screw and the silencer slipped by and now resides in the resonator muffler. It still does help but it rattles a lot. Waiting for the time to pull it apart and put it back where it belongs. The insert also returned my MPG’s to stock levels. Before the insert I saw some modest increases 1-2mph depending on conditions. When I move the silencer back I will put a 1/4” bolt all the way through the exhaust pipe instead of just one side.

10. Jul 28, 2018 at 10:20 AM
    santas212

santas212 I'm on a boat!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Georgetown, CT
    Vehicle:
  11. Jul 28, 2018 at 3:44 PM
    Tacosrus

Tacosrus Carpe Diem

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. My mileage is definitely better. Engine revs out better and it gets to 6th quicker and stays there. So did you add a resonator before the muffler and what did you add.

12. Jul 28, 2018 at 4:47 PM
    santas212

santas212 I'm on a boat!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Georgetown, CT
    Vehicle:
    At this point I’m running mbrp off-road style exhaust, Mbrp Resonator muffler, and exhaust insert. Reasonably happy with the quieting results. If you just want to hush the muffler I would suggest skip the resonator and go for the silencer insert.

13. Jul 28, 2018 at 5:05 PM
    Tacosrus

Tacosrus Carpe Diem

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    Gotcha . Thanks. Wish there was something to add to the back like where the tip is.

14. Jul 29, 2018 at 10:32 AM
    santas212

santas212 I'm on a boat!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Georgetown, CT
    Vehicle:
    You want it further forward to do the most good. In my case I ditched the exhaust tip all together so it just dumps out below the rear axle. It’s really not that hard to slip the silencer into the pipe, it’s just two bolts to open that part of the pipe.

I suggest buying a new $5 exhaust gasket while your in there though.

15. Sep 9, 2018 at 6:58 AM
    santas212

santas212 I'm on a boat!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Georgetown, CT
    Vehicle:
    Update:

I inserted the exhaust insert up forward just behind the cat-back flange. I used a single 1/4” stainless screw inserted into the pipe tapped & threaded. After several months I noticed exhaust noise and idle rattle had increased. I checked the stop screw and it was bent back by exhaust force. I pulled the insert and found it had also bent pretty severely on the first silence ring. I straightened it out and put a new 1/4” bolt all the way through the pipe so it holds back the center pipe and not the rings. Hope this holds up better.

9C9459A8-3A4F-42EB-83BE-B8E313E4249F.jpg

16. Jan 20, 2019 at 3:59 PM
    Matt

Matt Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner 2011
    Do we have a vendor on this site can get a deal on MBRP exhaust?

17. Aug 19, 2019 at 6:57 PM
    LGOPs504

LGOPs504 Nobody can hear you scream in Space.

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR DCSB
    Stuff and things
    @santas212, I know this is a bit dated thread, but I also am rockin an 09 DCSB w/ SC and K&N CAI. I'm thinking I'm going to go with your advice and get the silencer along with the S5322409 axle dump. I'm curious about your bolt through option for the silencer; would you mind posting a picture for reference? I'm assuming you went through the exhaust too? Did that cause any weird noises?

18. Aug 20, 2019 at 6:15 AM
    santas212

santas212 I'm on a boat!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Georgetown, CT
    Vehicle:

Super simple, I just took a 1/4” stainless bolt and drilled it straight through the exhaust pipe about 6-8” behind the flange where it meets up with the Cat side of the exhaust. Then I put two nuts on the one side to lock it so it wouldn’t rattle off. Then I slipped the “silencer” into the pipe so it would slide back and rest on the bolt I put through the pipe. It might jingle in there a little bit at idle but no other weird noises so far from This system.

19. Aug 20, 2019 at 8:12 AM
    LGOPs504

LGOPs504 Nobody can hear you scream in Space.

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR DCSB
    Stuff and things
    Thanks for the explanation, seems pretty simple and straight forward. I just can't wrap my head around drilling holes into my exhaust pipe for some reason; mostly I think because of my lack of knowledge with exhaust systems. Seems like any extra holes could be a potential source for exhaust leaks, which isn't optimal. Do you think if I tack welded the silencer in the pipe that would be an alternative solution?

20. Aug 20, 2019 at 8:51 AM
    santas212

santas212 I'm on a boat!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Georgetown, CT
    Vehicle:

Your exhaust pipe is already blowing out right below the truck bed with this pipe so really what’s 2 little holes that you plug with a bolt. Is it sealed 100% no. But I don’t think it’s going to create any health risk of carbon monoxide in the cab or additional noise.

Welding will work but will be permanent. A bolt you can pull the silencer out later.

Products Discussed in

To Top